Confirmed Trade: [CAR/BUF] Jeff Skinner for 2019 2nd, 2020 3rd and 6th, and Cliff Pu

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I don't get the rush to move him. If this is the best deal on the table maybe try keeping him around?

It just boggles my mind that a team that's had trouble scoring would move a guy like Skinner for peanuts. What stage are the Canes in? Are they still rebuilding? Then why bring in Hamilton and move out Hanifin?

This move makes no sense. I don't see what the Canes' plan is going forward.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Sabres could get more for Skinner at the deadline, but they could also get less. I keep thinking back to Thomas Vanek, who went from being worth a 1st (from a fringe playoff team) and a valuable rental winger early in the season to being worth a 2nd and a similar caliber prospect at the deadline. It’s not as if Vanek was underperforming; he was near PPG that season.

GMs haven’t cared much for one-dimensional scoring wingers getting that close to UFA. It’s those with the intangibles that GMs love that have been getting the premium returns (Nash, Ladd, Lucic.)

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
I never knew there were so many english teachers on HF

As for a post of my own. It can become a bad deal for either team as of right now. . If skinner stays Buffalo wins, If he leaves Carolina wins.

It's good to see that Buffalo is slowly getting better. As for carolina, not to sure what their motive here was. I guess they are super high on Pu and yes he is a good prospect, and we know the London Knights have produced a ton of good players, but maybe they should of fished for higher picks.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Would've been better off keeping Skinner.

This just looks to be a team that is making a trade for the sake of making a trade.
there's probably more than just carolina making a trade for the sake of making the trade that we don't know about.

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
I never knew there were so many english teachers on HF

As for a post of my own. It can become a bad deal for either team as of right now. . If skinner stays Buffalo wins, If he leaves Carolina wins.

It's good to see that Buffalo is slowly getting better. As for carolina, not to sure what their motive here was. I guess they are super high on Pu and yes he is a good prospect, and we know the London Knights have produced a ton of good players, but maybe they should of fished for higher picks.

Not really, if Skinner is on a 30-35g pace near the deadline and the Sabres arent in contention they can get a late 1st and a prospect for him.

Moving Pu was something that makes sense because hes buried behind Eichel-CM-Asplund in the org if he hits his ceiling

FookinPuck

Nov 16, 2017
Rick Nash, with only a few weeks left before UFA, with a Limited NTC, returned a better package, during a worse year.
Rick Nash 50% retained + taking on a cap dump in Beleskey returned a slightly better package, you are correct.

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
Not really, if Skinner is on a 30-35g pace near the deadline and the Sabres arent in contention they can get a late 1st and a prospect for him.
That's if he bothers to waive his NMC. He is closer to home and his family too so he may be reluctant to move. Also, there is a chance that he could want to resign given he would be playing with Eichel. If they end up have chemistry like a Giroux-Vorecek type or Matthews-Nylander in the one season it becomes a possibility aha. Guess we would have to wait and see

threeVo

Jan 5, 2010
Tampa
That's if he bothers to waive his NMC. He is closer to home and his family too so he may be reluctant to move. Also, there is a chance that he could want to resign given he would be playing with Eichel. If they end up have chemistry like a Giroux-Vorecek type or Matthews-Nylander in the one season it becomes a possibility aha. Guess we would have to wait and see

Is it confirmed he retained his ntc? if you waive its up to new team to keep it or not i thought?

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
You're acting like waiving a NMC for a rental player is some stumbling block, and it's just not true. How many NHL players would NOT waive their NMC to go from a team out of the playoffs to a team in a playoff race for a couple months. You're grasping at straws.

cheesymc

Feb 28, 2002
Irvine
Visit site
Carolina got Pu-ed on in negotiating this trade for sure.

Buffalo will probably get a 1st or Blue Chip prospect trading him when they don't make the playoffs.

Carolina must be tanking this season...

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
Is it confirmed he retained his ntc? if you waive its up to new team to keep it or not i thought?
Naw he has it on every team he goes on throughout the remainder of the contract. Capfriendly.com still shows that the NMC is there when he was shifted to buffalo's cap page so it would become a factor at the deadline too haha

Last edited:

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA

A player can only get Subban-ed if traded prior to July 1st of what would have been their 1st UFA season. Skinner started at 18 in 10-11, thus making 17-18 his first UFA season. His NMC carries.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Rick Nash 50% retained + taking on a cap dump in Beleskey returned a slightly better package, you are correct.
What does retention have to do in this case since BUFF isn't under any cap situation at all?

And "slightly" better?

A 1st is better than a 2nd
Lindgren was a 2nd rounder, Pu a 3rd in the same draft (#49 compared to #69)
Ryan Spooner, a 40 pts F is better than a 3rd round pick 2 years from now
And again Nash wasn't good last year and Skinner was

I picked 1 deal from the most recent deadline that's better than this one, not "slightly better". Easily better. I can find a few more pretty easily as well.

ajpro20

Jul 3, 2012
Toronto, ontario
You're acting like waiving a NMC for a rental player is some stumbling block, and it's just not true. How many NHL players would NOT waive their NMC to go from a team out of the playoffs to a team in a playoff race for a couple months. You're grasping at straws.
There have been players who have declined being traded at the deadline. Whether it was because of the loyalty to the team or just doesn't want to go anywhere during the duration of the season because due family or personal reasons. Dion Phaneuf has declined it twice in his career. It entirely depends on the person with the nmc Yes many players have agreed to waive the clause.

The only person that can decide it is Jeff SKinner. At this point Both of our viewpoints could end up happening. It's about 50/50 at this point, but i can agree that a nmc isn't that big of a burden to overcome. My bad if i made it sound like a bigger problem then it is haha

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Buffalo not required to honour it by rule but skinner might not have waived it unless the sabres honour it. Thus the sabres would sign an amendment to indicate that they will honour the trade/movement protection. Pretty standard procedure.

Majority of the time when a guy with trade protection gets moved it continues with him because that is a condition of him waiving it.

Only time a team has the power to cancel trade protection from a contract is when it hasn’t gone into effect yet like subban. Once it is in place, players rarely relenquish it. They ask the new team to honour it otherwise they don’t waive their clause.

Last edited:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don't get the rush to move him. If this is the best deal on the table maybe try keeping him around?

It just boggles my mind that a team that's had trouble scoring would move a guy like Skinner for peanuts. What stage are the Canes in? Are they still rebuilding? Then why bring in Hamilton and move out Hanifin?

This move makes no sense. I don't see what the Canes' plan is going forward.
I think the way the team would explain it is, he didn’t show any interest in signing an extension so he’s gone one way or another. After once again the team collapsed down the stretch while being in reach of a playoff spot character and mental fortitude was called out by the new regime, with promises of change.

Of course merely adding better goaltending might’ve been enough to get them in the post season the negativity associated with this seasons failure really made them emphasize it was going to be a big change. They specifically mentioned players who have never won anything in years would be moved out, which only applies to Faulk, Skinner and to a lesser extent Rask. You’ve seen rumors on Faulk and Skinner all summer because of that.

So why not at the deadline? I think new management said and promised too much, and were left in their opinions no choice but move Skinner before the season. It’s the change they promised, we got lucky with Svech and have Necas coming. With Ferland and guys like Zykov and Foegele pushing it’s going to be a totally different look this year up front, and we have a legit top 4 now with DeHaan and Hamilton.

To me, would I prefer to just keep Skinner not only to the deadline but beyond? Hell yes. New managements want their stamp on things. This is that.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010

But if the Sabres aren't in contention (given the logjam at WC the last few years, that means bottom 5 team), is there a massive difference between Cliff Pu + Buffalo's 2nd and conference final team's 1st + B-C prospect?

If Carolina had gotten St. Louis' first instead of Buffalo's 2nd and 2020 3rd, the narrative around the trade changes even though the difference in value between a late 1st and an early 2nd plus a early/mid 3rd isn't that great. In fact, the early 2nd/mid 3rd is arguably superior to the late 1st, depending how you weight the gap year.

Reactions: SvechniCanesCup2019

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Says the guy with that avatar...

I've been a Sabres fan for about two decades. I think I am allowed to poke a little fun at my favourite team. Should probably have checked my post history before you decided to try and chastise me bud. Or even just checked out the Sabres board where I post frequently.

Last edited:

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Because this move addresses multiple needs while actually making the team better.
Skinner 7th best even strength scorer last 3 years, a definite need.
A true top line LW'er for Eichel, check.
Retained all 1st rd picks (which Buffalo has 4 in the next 2 drafts), check.
A player with an NTC chose Buffalo. Something no one saw coming (and this really speaks to the excitement of the talent in Buffalo's system, top to bottom), check.

The Sabres are going to surprise a lot of fans this season. Eichel, Reinhart, Middlestadt, Sheary and a healthy Okposo leading the top 6.
Ristolainen, Scandella, a healthy Bogosain and Dahlin leading a revamped defense.
Hutton and Ullmark splitting time between the pipes.
Veterans Berglund, Pominville and Sobotkato stabilize the bottom 6 along with Girgensons and Larsson.
And the biggest story of all this is the injection of depth across the board.

Yea, I'd say the Sabres are most definitely going to be better this season, much better. There was a desperate need to change the culture, these moves address that, now, let's see how far it will carry them. Because as of now, the Sabres look pretty dam good.

They missed the playoffs by 35 points and lost Evander Kane and Ryan O’Reilly.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
Makes sense for Buffalo because Skinner had a very small list on his nmc and they were on it. He apparently wanted to play close to home. That tends to lower the return, but when you are at where Buffalo is and a 30-40 goal scorer in his prime wants to be traded to you, why not?

Even though he’s a ufa, he’s obviously going to give them a shot at making a good offer to stay, plus they just gave up Kane so there’s a hole in the lineup. Finding a long term partner for Eichel is likely a big box they want checked off the list and there’s no reason Skinner can’t do it.

If in the next year they sign him and that’s all they gave up, they will have taken full advantage of a pretty nice situation that fell in their laps. They won’t regret Skinner no matter what anyone says against him. His goods outweigh his bads and he has a higher level he hasn’t hit yet. Which is a scary thought. When he’s on he may be the purest shooter in the league inside the dots. He can hit any part of the net from any angle and make it look effortless, the release is ridiculous. “Talented” doesn’t cut it, and the lack of defense isn’t enough to give up on him. He’s one of the best puck hounds in the league. He’s also likely to be interested in becoming a more complete player after all this happened. He’s shown he can do it before.

Fair enough. If this gives them a legit chance to re-sign him early it’s a steal. Just not sure they can do much this year.

Royal Thunder

Frolunda Mode
Feb 21, 2012
They missed the playoffs by 35 points and lost Evander Kane and Ryan O’Reilly.
And are adding Dahlin Mittlestadt Skinner Sheary Berglund Sobotka and Hutton. While losing bad players like Gorges, Pouliot, Nolan, Lehner, Josefsen, and Johnson.

ROR's even strength production was pretty damn bad for how many minutes he plays

Reactions: ajpro20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad