Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Brendan Smith signs with the Hurricanes (1 year, $800k)

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
ITT: bad takes from people who never watched smith

Guy is trash

He is certainly not trash.

For what NYR gave up for him and resigned, yes, he shit the bed and was remorseful for it an did his best to make up the difference going forward. But honestly, he is an NHL'er and at 800k, far from trash.

I'd rather him at 800k then what we signed Nemeth for.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
He played his absolute best the last year of his 4 year contract with us. Good team player.

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
I’m much more annoyed with letting him walk than I should be. Great guy to have on your team, true leader.
He played his absolute best the last year of his 4 year contract with us. Good team player.
Nope. 2017 when we first acquired him. Was very steady post deadline and then turned into an absolute animal in the playoffs. Was significantly better than McDonagh and the best player from both teams in our first round series against Montreal

Edit- my bad, thought you meant through his entire tenure here. But yes I agree then, this past season was definitely the best of his 4 year contract we signed him to

Waivers

Sep 27, 2013
NY
Was that the highlight of his career? Because I don’t remember. I do remember Skjei destroying Fast and Aho undressing Tony D. Funny how all 4 are Canes now. And not a huge fan of any of them myself. It’s like both teams love each other’s rejects

I remember Skjei giving Fast a concussion. That was something else.

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
He is certainly not trash.

For what NYR gave up for him and resigned, yes, he shit the bed and was remorseful for it an did his best to make up the difference going forward. But honestly, he is an NHL'er and at 800k, far from trash.

I'd rather him at 800k then what we signed Nemeth for.
If not Nemeth, Tirordi for sure. Smith wanted to be here. Somehow I couldn't see him taking that big of a cut. I don't think he expected it either.

Maitz

Aug 3, 2006
Montreal
Is it because they wanna pair him with DeAngelo and everytime he says a dumb thing Smith will give him a slap?

Baby Punisher

Sponsor
Mar 30, 2012
Staten Island, NY
He was overpaid for 4 years. It evens out.
He was on the point today and gave a lengthy interview. It sounds like he is his own agent. He was asked why he chose Carolina and he said early on in the negotiations.......

I was like, negotiations? Dude, you signed for almost the minimum.

All that aside Smith seems like a very nice guy.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Will miss him. Was a good team guy. Obviously was never the same after having an amazing 2017 playoffs. Could still be a decent 6/7 dman.

TheOllieC

cajun filet
Jul 12, 2013
Charlotte, NC
Get your facts straight. Cane's wanted to sign him, fox refused. That's far from trading a player because he was a reject....

He's joking, but it kinda makes sense when you consider that fans of that team haven't really had any experience with seeing them drafting, developing, and signing their own selected-players in recent history. :naughty:

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I still think another shoe will drop. Currently, Smith is our 7D, and we have Gardiner, and we very well have an NHL-quality player in the wings with Jesper Sellgren and possibly another in Joey Keane. It just seems like the right thing to do, to deal a defenseman. If we don't give Jesper a shot, I don't think he'll come over, and I'm worried we'll say "next year" one too many times.

Reactions: AD Skinner

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
I still think another shoe will drop. Currently, Smith is our 7D, and we have Gardiner, and we very well have an NHL-quality player in the wings with Jesper Sellgren and possibly another in Joey Keane. It just seems like the right thing to do, to deal a defenseman. If we don't give Jesper a shot, I don't think he'll come over, and I'm worried we'll say "next year" one too many times.

Jesper's coming to NA this season, as the team has already stated, I believe. Gardiner is rumored to need back surgery and may be out for the year. Again, I think competition is good, and Smith's salary is low enough to be point that it can easily be dealt or buried if Sellgren/Lajoie/Keane wins a spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad