Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Andrei Svechnikov (8 years, $7.75M AAV)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Not a shot at Raleigh at all. Its a niche market. I live in the Raleigh area. Its one of the best standard of living markets in the entire league. Its San Jose with massively better cost of living. Ive just seen this before with the Capitals. One star player, Peter Bondra loved the low profile life with his family and still lives there. Another star, Jagr, hated the low profile life so much that he admitted quitting on the team.
Funny, I didn't realize the metro area was Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill-New Bern

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
The NHL is crazy at times. He is a good young player but 8 years and $62M already? Could turn into a great deal for the Canes or look totally bad if he never reach his potential.

edit: I know someone that is happy right now, Brady Tkachuk... he will want $8M per now.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Funny, I didn't realize the metro area was Raleigh-Durham-Cary-Chapel Hill-New Bern

What about it. I spend more time that you can imagine at Duke. But ok. I dont live in the Raleigh area and I dont know shit about it. Whats next? When I said it was great and one of the best, that I am actually saying it blows?

GoCanes2015

Oct 14, 2017
The NHL is crazy at times. He is a good young player but 8 years and $62M already? Could turn into a great deal for the Canes or look totally bad if he never reach his potential.

edit: I know someone that is happy right now, Brady Tkachuk... he will want $8M per now.

Fernando Tatis Jr. of the Padres is making more than $24million a year for the next 14 years in MLB. he's 22. NHL might be crazy, other sports are insane.

Reactions: DaveG and cptjeff

CanesFan97

Mar 10, 2021
Canes fan here. Really thrilled about this contract -- term and AAV. Svech is a terrific young player on a clear upward trajectory who needs to add some layers to his offensive game and stop taking dumb penalties. Oh, also it didn't even occur to me to think about Mitch Marner or the Leafs today.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Fernando Tatis Jr. of the Padres is making more than $24million a year for the next 14 years in MLB. he's 22. NHL might be crazy, other sports are insane.

And Tatis Jr. is worth every damn penny of that. Probably could get even more in an imaginary world in which he was a free agent. Remember, baseball has no salary cap. He'd be the face of baseball if Ohtani didn't exist.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What do you mean "hasn't won much"?
Season 1: Canes knocked out the defending Stanley cup champs and went to the ECF
Season 2: Canes made it to the playoffs, beat the Rangers in the playin round and lost to the Bruins
Season 3: Canes had one of the best records in the league, won the first round of the playoffs and lost to the eventual Stanley cup champs.

Or are you talking about individual accolades? If he were to win individual accolades (Hart, Rocket Richard, MVP, etc..) he'd be getting a hell of a lot more than he got.

I'm talking about individual accolades. He's played 3 seasons but yet he got himself a franchise player contract.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
And Tatis Jr. is worth every damn penny of that. Probably could get even more in an imaginary world in which he was a free agent. Remember, baseball has no salary cap. He'd be the face of baseball if Ohtani didn't exist.
Given he was on MLB The Show this year, one would argue he is already the face of baseball right now

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Also produces well in playoffs, with 20 pts. in 26 gp. That's great for a very young player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I'm talking about individual accolades. He's played 3 seasons but yet he got himself a franchise player contract.

That makes no sense. He's, as of right now, the 49th highest paid player (AAV) in the NHL. That's not a "franchise player contract". In a few years, he'll likely be closer to the 75th or 100th highest paid player.

If he had individual accolades (Hart, Richard), his contract would be MUCH more than what he got.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010

Career PPG
Tkachuk: 0.631 (52 point pace per 82)
Svechnikov: 0.683 (56 point pace per 82)

Last years stats:
Tkachuk: 17g, 36p in 56 games (pace of 25g, 53p per 82)
Svechnikov: 15g, 45p in 55 games (pace of 22g, 67p per 82)

Svech went 2nd overall in 2018 as opposed to 4th for Brady. Both are physical wingers.

I'm not saying the gap is huge (it's pretty thin if anything), but what exactly has Tkachuk done to deserve MORE? Svech has the better resume thus far.

If anything, I'd say Tkachuk should be in the 7.000 - 7.500 range now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad