Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Andrei Svechnikov (8 years, $7.75M AAV)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
Ive been saying this for a few years but I believe that Svechnikov has the potential to be among the best wingers in the league. Kid is an amazing talent and this contract will look like a steal possibly by the end of this season. Carolina did good to protect their cap structure and are geared for long term success.

Reactions: cptjeff

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
It's not the pandemic, it's introducing Tavares into the room. The pandemic cut down long term projections sure but the players looked at recent comparables not the teams long term cap.

Svechnikov's agent didn't have a 10 million dollar contract on the roster to match salaries to. Marner and Matthews could point to the Tavares contract and say "I'm better than him or will be by mid contract, I deserve to get paid the same as him". Svechnikov could only compare himself to Aho and got paid comparably to him.
You realize more comparables come into negotiations than the ones in their own team, right?

Reactions: Kurtz

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
Congrats Canes; you guys got a good deal on this one.

It will look like one of the best contracts in the league in 2-3 years (aka Draisaitl)

Just Linda

Feb 24, 2018
You realize more comparables come into negotiations than the ones in their own team, right?

Yes, internals are historically a bigger indicator of bargains though. The old business quote "bad deals come from the outside, good deals come from within". Without Tavares they could have got Nylander and Marner for cheaper.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Vancouver fans better hope this helps set the market for Pettersson. This is around what he is worth
Petey on an 8 year deal is worth 9+. He's been basically a ppg who gets as many goals as assists, plays centre and not taking anything away from Svetch but Petey's first 2 seasons were better and this season most likely would have been the same.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Seems about right, perhaps a touch high based on current body of work. That's totally ok though when you're getting term.

The NHL has been talking as if we shouldn't expect any meaningful cap growth for 3-4 years still (which makes sense given the players owe them like a billion dollars), so could be a really good value contract in the last 2-3 years maybe, but otherwise he'll still need to improve a fair bit to make this the slam dunk great contract some are acting like

Reactions: islandersbob

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Yes, internals are historically a bigger indicator of bargains though. The old business quote "bad deals come from the outside, good deals come from within". Without Tavares they could have got Nylander and Marner for cheaper.
I don’t think so, Tavares was a 27 year old UFA who had already firmly established himself as one of the best centres in the league. He wasn’t a comparable for 21 year old RFA wingers.

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Solid deal (assuming he improves. Otherwise still decent), new it would be less than $8mil and not close to $10mil. He’s shown potential to be a $10mil player but he hasn’t actually been that yet, he wasn’t getting that kind of pay day

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Seems like at in the worst case scenario (barring career-changing injury...), a slight overpayment (if he stagnates as a 60 pts guy)

More than likely is that it's at least gonna be a fair deal, with significant chances of being a great deal for the Canes.

That's great news for the team

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Under 8 is such a steal for 8 seasons... this deal will be such a steal by like year 3 or 4 it's gonna be crazy

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
One of the sides will be crying over this deal in a couple of years. Don't know who, though.

I think that neither side "cries" if said contract is one of the key factors behind multiple Stanley Cups. See what Tampa did as the blueprint here: several players took slightly less than market value in order to add premium depth talent to the roster. Guys that weren't willing to do that were allowed to get their mammoth contracts elsewhere.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Under 8 is such a steal for 8 seasons... this deal will be such a steal by like year 3 or 4 it's gonna be crazy

Depends on the cap growth but I tend to agree cause in 3 or 4 years, the cap is going to skyrocket after the NHLPA balance they owe the owners is paid off.

Question: If the Habs wanted to lock up Suzuki for 8 years? What is his AAV when you compare that to Svechnikov? $6.5M - $7M range?

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Depends on the cap growth but I tend to agree cause in 3 or 4 years, the cap is going to skyrocket after the NHLPA balance they owe the owners is paid off.

Question: If the Habs wanted to lock up Suzuki for 8 years? What is his AAV when you compare that to Svechnikov? $6.5M - $7M range?

Idk, players owe the owners over a billion dollars apparently. I'm not sure how long that'll take to balance

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad