Confirmed Signing with Link: [CAR] Andrei Svechnikov (8 years, $7.75M AAV)

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great deal, congrats Cane fans. This is a great deal if he plays as he has been the past few year and will amazing if he takes it up a notch.

As many have stated this makes the Marner deal terrible by the passing minute. Poor management and greedy players not a good mix.

Johniac

Jul 18, 2011
North Carolina
It's more than a Billion from the numbers I have gathered. But it can be paid off quicker if the market gets back to normal this next season. The $81.5M salary cap is set on a $5.09B market. The projected market this next season is $4.8B but that is designed to be conservative. If we have a healthy market with fans back in the seats, new US TV revenue, New Seattle revenue, and inflation, it's going to be paid off in 3 years max. Maybe two depending on growth

All what you are hearing right now is noise and extreme conservative projections. They are smart to project conservative numbers but some members of the media and fans are not taking other context into it... context you can put together and context they will keep to themselves. Look at the spending this offseason and contracts given out... I bet you some teams have their own calculated projections and have gambled a bit on a faster growing cap.

Look at these numbers I gathered in Nov of 2020 (See below). The Balance would be paid off after the 23/24 season but then consider if the HRR ends up being more than the conservative projections? People forget that right before Covid, the cap projections for 20/21 was expected to be $84M - $88M range depending on escrow. That was before new US TV deals and Seattle revenue. That would have been a market well north of $5.09B! The only thing that could derail this is a 4th waive of Covid! :facepalm:

6clcdpE.jpg

While I hope you are right, estimating hockey related revenue for this coming season to increase by $2.8 billion does not seem conservative.

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Career PPG
Tkachuk: 0.631 (52 point pace per 82)
Svechnikov: 0.683 (56 point pace per 82)

Last years stats:
Tkachuk: 17g, 36p in 56 games (pace of 25g, 53p per 82)
Svechnikov: 15g, 45p in 55 games (pace of 22g, 67p per 82)

Svech went 2nd overall in 2018 as opposed to 4th for Brady. Both are physical wingers.

I'm not saying the gap is huge (it's pretty thin if anything), but what exactly has Tkachuk done to deserve MORE? Svech has the better resume thus far.

If anything, I'd say Tkachuk should be in the 7.000 - 7.500 range now.

I think most Ottawa fans would be happy with Tkachuk getting exactly the same deal as Svechnikov - particularly since there is only one $4m bonus.

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
The NHL is crazy at times. He is a good young player but 8 years and $62M already? Could turn into a great deal for the Canes or look totally bad if he never reach his potential.

edit: I know someone that is happy right now, Brady Tkachuk... he will want $8M per now.
8x8 would be a steal for tkachuk, i think he will want 9mx8years

ClarkBolzano

Oct 12, 2018
I am happy for the Team but as a Fan of svech i am disappointed. So He thinks He is not worth more. He could have made a bridge deal to show what he is able to but He did otherwise. Anyway congrats Svech.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
IMHO opinion, the best deal of the summer... GOOD job of signing him long term a this caphit
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the cap hit, this is going to turn into one of the league's biggest bargains pretty quickly. It just sucks that we had to sacrifice Dougie to make it happen. (not that we would have ever paid him $9m AAV, but if you look at what we were offering him, its pretty much all we could afford to still remain under the cap knowing what Svech inked).

Toronto makebeleifs

Jul 4, 2014
Steal if he continues his progression to a consistent 70+pt player. Still a fair deal if he hits a bump and is a 25-30 goal player. All round, well done Carolina. Could end up as an insane value contract in short order.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Man, how much did ASvech cost himself with a down year?
If instead of faltering, he improves to say a point per game? How much more would he have made over the course of the contract.

Bevans

Apr 15, 2016
Career PPG
Tkachuk: 0.631 (52 point pace per 82)
Svechnikov: 0.683 (56 point pace per 82)

Last years stats:
Tkachuk: 17g, 36p in 56 games (pace of 25g, 53p per 82)
Svechnikov: 15g, 45p in 55 games (pace of 22g, 67p per 82)

Svech went 2nd overall in 2018 as opposed to 4th for Brady. Both are physical wingers.

I'm not saying the gap is huge (it's pretty thin if anything), but what exactly has Tkachuk done to deserve MORE? Svech has the better resume thus far.

If anything, I'd say Tkachuk should be in the 7.000 - 7.500 range now.

I don't think you're capturing the whole picture here.

When you include hits, shots, quality of teammates and relative importance to their respective organizations, it's easy to argue that Tkachuk is more valuable.

I also think that Waddell is a better negotiator than Dorion. If Tkachuk ends up with the same contract then it will show that Dorion stuck to his guns. I'm sure Tkachuk's agent is using this deal as a floor right now.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Man, how much did ASvech cost himself with a down year?
If instead of faltering, he improves to say a point per game? How much more would he have made over the course of the contract.

Tkachuk got $7 mil x 3 after a ~point per game season pre-pandemic. To match Svechnikov’s RFA-1 - UFA-4 (8 years post-ELC) average compensation, he will have to make $8.2 mil per in the first 5 years of his next contract. While he should be able to get that with a good year, I find it doubtful that the top number will be significantly higher. Even if Svechnikov gave up say $4 mil - $5 mil on paper in comparison, that may be lower in reality with Carolina's friendly-ish tax climate.

Sometimes teams bridge players because they want to see more before making a commitment. Teams also bridge players at times to kick the can down the road and maximize the roster in the short-term. By letting Hamilton walk, the Canes positioned themselves to be able to deal with the short-term pain for the long-term gain.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Think it's a great deal for the player and the team. Like Svech a lot but I dunno if I see him having quite the ceiling some in this thread seem to. Should be a 30-40 player for much of this deal so the AAV is solid but not an insane steal or something considering it's a lot of RFA years.

Can definitely see the appeal of going long term and not doing a bridge with this player.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Unless Svechnikov for some reason completely stagnates this is going to be a very, very good deal.

Curious to see what Dahlin gets now.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
It will be a Draisaitl deal big underpayment compared to the rest of the elite in the NHL

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $50.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: