Value of: CAR #2 Overall Pick

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
leafs and habs do well financially when their teams are bad

Not if they miss the playoffs for 9 straight years. No team can sustain attendance during that. I go by facts and those facts are the Chicago Blackhawks. They were an original 6 and started to not do well over a long period of losing. Go ahead and counter me with some sort of being in canadia means they will do fine BS. I base my facts on what happened and you base your opinions on what hasn't happened.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Not if they miss the playoffs for 9 straight years. No team can sustain attendance during that. I go by facts and those facts are the Chicago Blackhawks. They were an original 6 and started to not do well over a long period of losing. Go ahead and counter me with some sort of being in canadia means they will do fine BS. I base my facts on what happened and you base your opinions on what hasn't happened.
the leafs missed the playoffs in nearly 9 straight years from 2005-2012. also i'm pretty sure the bruins and rangers do well financially even if their team isn't doing well.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
the leafs missed the playoffs in nearly 9 straight years from 2005-2012. also i'm pretty sure the bruins and rangers do well financially even if their team isn't doing well.

So four original six teams with massive fan bases and way more success historically have better attendance numbers during playoff droughts than the Carolina Hurricanes?

Colour me shocked!

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
leafs and habs do well financially when their teams are bad

Not so much. To put it into context, the early years of both the Montreal & Toronto franchises were rife with difficulties. Montreal nearly folded twice (1918 when their arena burned burned down, 1939 after a couple of really bad seasons & the death of Howie Morenz, the Great Depression & WW2) and was on the block, ready to be sold to interests in Cleveland.... Toronto also on the ropes, willing buyers from Philly offering a substantial sum for the St.Pats, the League taking a big financial hit in instead selling to Conn Smythe backed by wealthy industrialist & magnate JP Bickell... who also owned part of the old Maple Leaf AA Baseball Club....

Now, you can claim totally irrelevant as that all happened 80 years ago but its not. Totally relevant, applicable given the time-lines when comparing teams like Carolina & others who experience difficulties early in their history. Be it over their first 5-10-15 or even 25-30yr history. Its not the market that fails top tier NHL hockey, its ownership & the League itself to a large degree but mainly its ownership. In the case of Montreals first meltdown, natural disaster, arena burns down and they had competition; Montreal Wanderers & Maroons, Senior Hockey also very popular. In Toronto, similar, competition with 2 clubs in the NHA and both Senior & Junior amateur along with University hockey which was extremely popular, more so than pro hockey. Pro considered "tainted" in Toronto the Good. Fixed. Rigged... but I digress....

So again, if you want to make comparisons at least make honest ones that dont rely on false equivalencies. All of the 06'rs at various times have had serious problems, futures uncertain. Boston, NY, Detroit & Chicago included, all during their first few years, few decades of play.

phlocky

Jan 2, 2007
There are no future #1 centers in this draft, just good ones that should be nice middle Sixers. The canes should keep the pick, draft Svec to give them a future elite level winger to build around and then see if they can address the future #1 center issue at next years draft.

Having said that, if they really wanted to move the pick probably the best the Flyers would be willing to offer would be both our 1sts this year (#14 & 19) plus our 1st next year (top 10 protected, slides to 2020 unprotected 1st if the Flyers keep the pick next year). The Canes could do a lot for their rebuild with two firsts this year and next but I still think they should just keep the #2 pick this year and take Svec

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Bad fit for both teams.

Jets have one of the deepest F groups in the league, Wheeler, Laine, Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Roslovic, Vesalainen where as Carolina a promising D-group, Slavin, Pesce, Hanifin, Fleury, Faulk, Bean and need a offensive game changer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad