Value of: CAR #2 Overall Pick

untouchable21

I am not the guy you want to be wrong about.
Aug 12, 2007
The Outer Limits.
Nylander and Andersen and our 1st. For 2oa and darling. Nylander can develop into a C with you guys.

Wasn’t Andersen originally a Carolina draft pick that opted to not sign with the Hurricanes and go back into the draft?

While he is a definite upgrade on Darling, maybe they’re not to keen on paying a premium pick for a guy that chose to leave that organization already once before. Sure it was because a younger Cam Ward was blocking his perceived chance at a starting gig, but still.

Besides, the Leafs would never down grade at goaltender while also giving up a key young player in Nylander.

Really don’t see any of the top picks being moved. The NHL is a haven for elite young talent and drafting your own young stars is the way to go.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Carolina should not consider trading the #2 pick under any circumstances.

Honestly, I am so happy to see them pick high. Svechnikov will give them something they have needed for a while.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
All these"what's my top pick worth" threads are just fans bragging about having the pick. No. The Canes are not trading the pick. The only way it would happen is if a player like Barzal or Boeser demanded out, which is extremely unlikely.

Reactions: MinJaBen

Moosetache

Jul 25, 2005
Raleigh, NC
All these"what's my top pick worth" threads are just fans bragging about having the pick. No. The Canes are not trading the pick. The only way it would happen is if a player like Barzal or Boeser demanded out, which is extremely unlikely.

I'd be fine with the Canes adding to the 2nd OA to get Barzal. What else you want?? lol

BonAppleTea

May 16, 2013
I actually feel Zadina could be best player in this draft.
Jet Woo could be the best player of this draft when all is said and done, who the hell knows. But that's why scouts are hired - to try to evaluate prospects in every way possible and not throw picks at random players. And the work they have done would not suggest that Zadina is close to being the best player of this draft.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
I'd be fine with the Canes adding to the 2nd OA to get Barzal. What else you want?? lol

Lol. Of course you'd be fine with that. Barzal is much better than player you're likely to get at #2 overall this year.

Firstly I'm not an Islanders fan. Secondly no one is trading Barzal for a pick this year. I was talking about a very unlikely hypothetical where a great young player demands out, and a team needs to salvage an asset.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Wasn’t Andersen originally a Carolina draft pick that opted to not sign with the Hurricanes and go back into the draft?

While he is a definite upgrade on Darling, maybe they’re not to keen on paying a premium pick for a guy that chose to leave that organization already once before. Sure it was because a younger Cam Ward was blocking his perceived chance at a starting gig, but still.

Besides, the Leafs would never down grade at goaltender while also giving up a key young player in Nylander.

Really don’t see any of the top picks being moved. The NHL is a haven for elite young talent and drafting your own young stars is the way to go.
the case with frederik andersen: yes andersen was originally a hurricanes draft pick that opted to not sign with the Hurricanes and go back into the draft. also, its true that he didn't sign with them because a younger Cam Ward was blocking his perceived chance at a starting gig. however, andersen will be the guarenteed number 1 in carolina this time around. cam ward is a pending ufa and if he doesn't re-sign with the team, its andersen's crease. if he does re-sign, then he will be limited to the backup role. he is aging and his play hasn't justified him being the starter night in and night out.

the case with scott darling: he sucks. theres no sugar coating whatsoever. it wouldn't make sense for the hurricanes to keep him and andersen. 9 million in those two goalies in not a good investment. he would have to be added in a trade if andersen was going the other way. if i'm the leafs and i need to take him to get andrei svech, then i do it in an instant. theres also the possibility that he could regain his form on our team. if he doesn't we can bury him in the minors.

the case with william nylander: nylander is a great young player, no doubt about it, but svech is projected to be something else. i don't have much confidence is nylander to be a good enough C. he struggles with defensive assignments quite a bit. with svech we can make up for trading nylander. we also get someone who is somewhat physical (67 pim in 44 games), something we lack.

Jan 21, 2018
The Canes know that Zadina already has chemistry with Necas, which could help his development. Again, look at the Dubois pick. Zadina is a better fit for the Canes imo.

Dubois is such a bad comparison because he went to a playoff team and Puljujarvi went to a team that can't develop young players at all.

How do we know Puljujarvi wouldn't have become a stud by now had he went to basically any other team aside from the Oilers?

He was neck and neck with Laine for a while, I have a hard time believing they are this far apart in terms of skill and that their draft teams isn't playing a huge role in their success.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
The Canes beat writer Luke DeCock, who is a pessimistic jerk who seems to hate the fans, team and ownership, thinks we may trade the pick.

God, I hope he's wrong.

Reactions: CandyCanes

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Dubois is such a bad comparison because he went to a playoff team and Puljujarvi went to a team that can't develop young players at all.

How do we know Puljujarvi wouldn't have become a stud by now had he went to basically any other team aside from the Oilers?

He was neck and neck with Laine for a while, I have a hard time believing they are this far apart in terms of skill and that their draft teams isn't playing a huge role in their success.

I don't think Dubois is more skilled. I really like Pulju on the Oilers. But my point is that taking a player who fits the team better can work. For Dubois, it was about position - CBJ needed a centre. For Carolina, the Necas-Zadina chemistry may help both players in their development, offsetting any difference in skill between Zadina and Svechnikov today.

bluedevil58

Oct 19, 2017
You are getting a potential franchise F to go with Aho, do not trade that pick.
That duo should be gold.

The issue is no true 1C. I am not saying we trade the pick. But teams do not go far without a true 1C.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Not at all. They're really close. Dubois was much more of an off-the-board pick and look how that worked out. In Carolina's case, Zadina should be the pick. Already has great chemistry with Necas.
dubois was ranked 4th by everybody almost and went 3rd. how was that off the board.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
The Canes know that Zadina already has chemistry with Necas, which could help his development. Again, look at the Dubois pick. Zadina is a better fit for the Canes imo.

If Carolina pick Zadina over Svechnikov, it'll be like if Winnipeg would have picked Dubois over Laine.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The issue is no true 1C. I am not saying we trade the pick. But teams do not go far without a true 1C.

You're not getting a true #1C from market without killing your roster.

Aho has a shot at C, he has elite IQ/vision/playmaking and potentially defense.
Svec brings size next to him.

Or you run with Aho- Necas- Svec. Defense is your strenght and driving force like it's in Nashvilles'.

Just focus on finding a #1G and a good management.

Cardiac Jerks

Asinine & immoral
Jan 13, 2006
Long Sault, Ontario
The fans won’t come back until the team can start being competitive again. Doesn’t matter where you move it. People don’t like paying their hard earned money for a poor product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
The fans won’t come back until the team can start being competitive again. Doesn’t matter where you move it. People don’t like paying their hard earned money for a poor product.
leafs and habs do well financially when their teams are bad

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad