Speculation: Captaincies & the case for stripping Ference, Hall & Eberle

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
It's possible that I'm just getting impatient with how we pick our captains. The last time we had an elite player be captain was Doug Weight. When other fans thought of the Oilers back then, that's the player everyone knew (or Cujo).

Every single captain since then has been a player that we put the C on like it's a gold star for effort. There's been lots of grit, warm and fuzzy off ice stuff, and/or popularity with the media. What's the point? Did we make Moreau captain to try to inspire Hemsky to work as hard as him? Does that ever work?

I don't buy that someone like Hall isn't ready. What makes Landeskog so much better? There are times when teams have given the C to their most TALENTED player even before the results came as a sign of faith in them and to send a message to everyone that this player is the future face of the franchise.

And I don't think that it is insulting to not give someone a letter. Not having a letter isn't holding Gordon back from providing leadership on the team, and I doubt he's working as hard as he is just so that he can finally have a C shaped piece of cloth on his jerseys.

Taylor Hall, we always ***** on here about the Oilers trying to reinvent the wheel. Most teams give the C to the guy on their team most capable of being a game breaker. Not the grinder with heart who can hold the zone, fight off a penalty, or grind but the guys who can dangle, make opponents look stupid, and have the game on their stick multiple times a night.

It shows confidence in your talent and I think Taylor Hall deserves our confidence. He can't do it on his own nd he shouldn't have to.

Make him captain and let's move forward with this team.

Taylor Hall has NEVER worn the C in his life. Not saying that he can't be a good captain, but that just strikes me as strange. Odds are he's been the best player on every team he's ever played on, so why is it he's never had it? Just always makes me question it when his name is brought up.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Amazed at the amount of people voting for Hall. He doesn't currently possess the maturity for it. I guess there is the thought that putting it on his jersey will make him more captain material but I can't say the Assistant letter has done much good at all for either Hall or Eberle so making Hall Captain could arguably be worse.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Taylor Hall has NEVER worn the C in his life. Not saying that he can't be a good captain, but that just strikes me as strange. Odds are he's been the best player on every team he's ever played on, so why is it he's never had it? Just always makes me question it when his name is brought up.

Just speculating, but maybe because he's been the youngest player on most of the teams he's played on?

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I say leave it on Ference for 2 more years and see who steps up out of the young guys. No reason we have to rename the captain right now. For the A's I wouldn't mind seeing them go to Gordon and Hendricks.

Board Gordon

Light Up The World
Jun 13, 2014
Voted Yak because none of these guys are captain material and I felt like voting. I'm biased towards Gordon but he's not vocal enough. Hendo is in and out of the lineup at times (seems to be sticking now). Ference is trash and all he can think about is his stationary bike. The kids idk, not ready yet. If Poo was here for a few years previous it might have been him instead of Ferenc.

NedPlimpton

Mar 23, 2013
Near Fantastica
I don't get the love for Gordon. The guy can't even take a faceoff while staying on his skates.

I don't know if this is sarcasm or not but that's kind of exactly why and how he wins those faceoffs. It's his thing. It works.

Except for when it doesn't.

I voted Hendricks because he seems to have heart and seems to actually work and care.

I don't know why so many people seem to want Hall for captain so badly, outside of the fact that he's our star player (which really shouldn't mean anything in this discussion) he seems to have a lot of growing up to do in with some of his attitude and such.

Not saying he's the worst choice or that I'd be mad if was made captain...I just think there are better people.

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather just leave it on Ference.

Anyone who has the C with the team in the state it is in, is going to get hit with a deluge of criticism, most of it unjustified. There is no point in burying any of the kids under anymore pressure to perform than they are already under, and there is no reason to inflict that kind of hate at players who won't be here much longer(Gordon).

It's a largely symbolic position anyways, whoever the leaders of the team are will continue to lead within the team, with or without the management awarded letters on their chests.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I'd like everyone stripped of their captaincy.

Give Hendricks, Gordon and RNH the As. Let Nelson promote whoever stands out the most.
I've been calling for this approach since Moreau was traded. This team hasn't had anybody deserving of being the captain since Jason Smith was dealt. Whoever has gotten the letter has been a joke since him.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
yes, let's put the C on another grinder and/or bottom pairing defenseman. This strategy has worked wonders for the Oilers in the past.

Oilers keep Oilerin

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
yes, let's put the C on another grinder and/or bottom pairing defenseman. This strategy has worked wonders for the Oilers in the past.

Oilers keep Oilerin

Odd comment. Gordon is the best model of the most effective way to play the game that is on this team. What you will see in his play is incredible focus, attention to detail, intense play and tight coverage all over the ice as well as a player that forechecks tenaciously, and chips in goals and scoring chances in addition to pk duty and pinch hitting when we really need to win a faceoff.

Ferences play for a D is inadequate, thus why its a mixed message having him as our captain. Gordon is pretty good at his role and which nobody on the team would question or deny. If Gordon is captain nobody would second question it like we see with Ference.

Also, star players don't always make good captains. Particularly star players that have not yet fully matured and 100% dedicated to chosen profession. (not saying Hall hasn't but that it can be an issue)

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

Oilers keep Oilerin

yep 100% less plugs and more elite leaders

McDeathbyCheerios*

In all honesty though anyone who wants Hall had captain has clearly not seen him play the last while. No heart, no soul, no effort. Ya allow him to be captain, that'll sure rub off his winning attitude...

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
I'd like to see the definition of an "elite leader"...especially on the Oilers.

I cannot agree with the way the Oilers are choosing their captains, that being Management. The players should be choosing the captain afaic.

I chose Gordon. Hall is still too immature it seems. Same with Nuge.

Leave it on Ference or give it to Gordon. Or like some have suggested, leave it on Ference and give Gordon and Hendricks the A's.

I have yet to see any of our "star" players step up and be captain worthy.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I'd like to see the definition of an "elite leader"...especially on the Oilers.

I cannot agree with the way the Oilers are choosing their captains, that being Management. The players should be choosing the captain afaic.

I chose Gordon. Hall is still too immature it seems. Same with Nuge.

Leave it on Ference or give it to Gordon. Or like some have suggested, leave it on Ference and give Gordon and Hendricks the A's.

I have yet to see any of our "star" players step up and be captain worthy.
I'd go Nuge over Hall cause Nuge doesn't seem whiny and seems like he would be more of a stoic leader.

ekcut

The Refs shot JFK.
Jul 25, 2007
Edmonton

Oilers keep Oilerin

Yup...lee Fogolin and Jason Smith were huge mistakes.

Master Lok

Jul 31, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

Oilers keep Oilerin

It sure looks like Assistant Captains Eberle and Hall are leading by example. :shakehead

- Giveaways.
- Not getting the puck deep instead of turning it over at the blue line.
- consistent efforts every night.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Odd comment. Gordon is the best model of the most effective way to play the game that is on this team. What you will see in his play is incredible focus, attention to detail, intense play and tight coverage all over the ice as well as a player that forechecks tenaciously, and chips in goals and scoring chances in addition to pk duty and pinch hitting when we really need to win a faceoff.

Ferences play for a D is inadequate, thus why its a mixed message having him as our captain. Gordon is pretty good at his role and which nobody on the team would question or deny. If Gordon is captain nobody would second question it like we see with Ference.

Also, star players don't always make good captains. Particularly star players that have not yet fully matured and 100% dedicated to chosen profession. (not saying Hall hasn't but that it can be an issue)

Good post. You don't need an elite player to be your captain. What you need is a player who performs his role effectively on a nightly basis. Doesn't really matter what that role is as long as he performs it every night. Doing your job every game is how you lead by example. Jason Smith was this and he was an excellent captain. Moreau, Horcoff and Ference were not these players while wearing the C and it could be argued with Moreau and Horcoff that they had stopped being these guys before they were appointed and that's what made them controversial choices. In Ference's case nobody had any idea what to expect from him but he looked like a poor choice immediately after last season started.

To me the only guys on this team that perform well enough consistently are Gordon and Hendricks. I'd love to see Nelson put letters on their sweaters and remove them from Hall and Eberle until they can legitimately earn them back.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I'd just put A's on Gordon, Hendricks and Nuge until someone emerges as the clear captain of this team. I think one of Nuge and Nurse is our future captain. Actually Nurse would probably be a pretty great choice, but he's years away.

Pressure

Real Talk
Aug 11, 2005
Edmonton
When Hall and Ference are basically stepping on opposing views, and Ference calling out the young kids, that does not bode well for Hall to be captain. Obviously he sees something wrong in the way they approach the game off the ice. Hell even the media pundits are chiming in about locker room rifts with Hall at the center. Hall has never worn the C on any team he's been on. So what if he's been the youngest player, there are many instances where the youngest junior player is given captaincy.

Hall is just not mature. He's a great soldier.

I voted RNH for the future. Hendricks and Gordo deserve the "A" next year. We need more vets in positions of trust.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad