Speculation: Captaincies & the case for stripping Ference, Hall & Eberle

BasedGOD*

Ference has been a solid if not unspectacular defender in his tenure as the Captain of this team. He was a great stop gap for the captaincy when Horcoff was dealt but now with another new coach, it is time to reassess the letters on Ference, Hall and Eberle.

Brought up in the Hendricks threads, it makes sense to see Hall and Eberle give back the A's to a more deserving player.

Who would you pick for the Captain and Alternates of the Oilers?

Personally, I'd like to give the C to Hendricks, he's been playing his heart out and keeping the intensity in games we have no business playing in. A great character and role model for all the youth talent in Edmonton.

RNH has shown he is in the driver seat on this team, whoever his linemates he creates opportunities and shuts down opposition's chances.

Ference still has leadership qualities and is great as a leader but I personally don't see him as captain material.

Then again, I am not in that dressing room and have no insight on most of this as do most of you. This is purely for fun & speculation!

To add to discussion please described why you picked who you voted for, give us some idea to what your rationale was!

Last edited by a moderator:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I can't see how Gordon wouldn't be getting the Captaincy instead. Gordon plays a much bigger role and is critical to this team. Even Hendricks would likely anoint His Center, as captain.

I could see Hendricks being an AC.

But Gordon is doing yeoman unrecognized work for this team. Quietly and professionally.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I can't see how Gordon wouldn't be getting the Captaincy instead. Gordon plays a much bigger role and is critical to this team. Even Hendricks would likely anoint His Center, as captain.

But Gordon is doing yeoman unrecognized work for this team. Quietly and professionally.
I'd like everyone stripped of their captaincy.

Give Hendricks, Gordon and RNH the As. Let Nelson promote whoever stands out the most.

BasedGOD*

Dual captaincies never work out, maybe Gordon + Hendricks would be the exception.

I'd like everyone stripped of their captaincy.

Give Hendricks, Gordon and RNH the As. Let Nelson promote whoever stands out the most.

Ideally this is what I would like to happen, but knowing how the Oilers operate it would be an albatross to be without a captain.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
No one is Captain. Gordon/Hendricks/Nuge get A's.

Ah, other people said the same, guess the stand out leaders on the team have become pretty obvious. And who isn't a leader as well :)

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Let's see how this plays out with Ference now that Eakins is gone.

Anyone else think he's been playing looser and more physical in the last few games?

Gotta be in tough as a captain when you don't have a good coach.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Hendricks for captain reminds me too much of Moreau. He was loved here too, but it becomes awkward when that playing style wears on him and he can't preform to his same level again, even if the heart is still in it, and people here were questioning Moreau's heart towards the end. Ultimately, the fans care about results. It's not coincidence that the Hendricks love right now came after one of the biggest games of his career. I like Hendricks a lot and I don't want the team to be in a position to strip a captaincy from him some day, or trade him just to avoid that.

It's got to be one of the young kids. I vote Hall, which would be a great show of appreciation for his time here, as well as a vote of confidence in light of his recent slump. I was thinking we should let Ference hold onto until RNH was ready, but now I'm thinking just give it to Hall at the earliest point.

And make sure to spread the letters out. One per line max, and one defenseman at least.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Right now we need stability on the ice. The problem with stripping Ference of the C is who do you give it to? We have had about twenty threads saying give it to Hall, personally I think he is part of the problem and not the solution and Ference should have the C until we have a player who is up to the task

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Dual captaincies never work out, maybe Gordon + Hendricks would be the exception.

Ideally this is what I would like to happen, but knowing how the Oilers operate it would be an albatross to be without a captain.

huh?

I stated make Gordon Captain (C)

Make Hendricks Assistant Captain (AC) (I'm using old lettering there. it means assistant captain)

I'm older, lol

ps, Did our mod, DNicks, vote in the wrong circle or is that sarcastic vote for Justin Schultz? ;)

edit; I see its been corrected now haha

Last edited:

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
Hall isn't captain material. He may be eventually, but he's a ways off. Same with Eberle and RNH.

Keep everything status quo for this year, and probably next season.

I'd be okay with taking the A's from Hall/Eberle as well.

This team needs a Jason Smith type leader. Not an immature 20-something year old that throws water bottle tantrums on the bench.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Anybody else on the team wonder what heart and soul effective Vets like Gordon and Hendricks would think about Eberle wearing an A on this team and getting top pay?

This is a one dimensional player with limited pts, that doesn't play pk, that doesn't backcheck and has regressed this season.

I'm thinking the team gave him the A in a blind attempt to make him resemble one.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
In reality:
Captaincy should stay the same for next year

If this was a fresh team year 1 of the franchise:

DRoy Captain
MFraser Assitant
Taylor Hall Assistant

BasedGOD*

Hendricks for captain reminds me too much of Moreau. He was loved here too, but it becomes awkward when that playing style wears on him and he can't preform to his same level again, even if the heart is still in it, and people here were questioning Moreau's heart towards the end. Ultimately, the fans care about results. It's not coincidence that the Hendricks love right now came after one of the biggest games of his career. I like Hendricks a lot and I don't want the team to be in a position to strip a captaincy from him some day, or trade him just to avoid that.

It's got to be one of the young kids. I vote Hall, which would be a great show of appreciation for his time here, as well as a vote of confidence in light of his recent slump. I was thinking we should let Ference hold onto until RNH was ready, but now I'm thinking just give it to Hall at the earliest point.

And make sure to spread the letters out. One per line max, and one defenseman at least.

Valid point, I would like to see a long term option like Hall or Nuge but it doesn't seem that they are ready yet.

I doubt Roy and Fraser are here next fall

Roy is on his way to have a career revival here, he could stay in a 3C capacity if we pay him handsomely. All-though if we have the 1OA or 2OA we might have no use for him.

Vagabond

Dec 24, 2004
Edmonton
I'll wait and reserve my decision until the end of the season. I'd like to see how each player individually and collectively as a team responds with Todd.

In my opinion, Eakins destroyed this team beyond recognition and right now I cant recognize anybody's game play other than the blue collar players. It will take a while for this team to stabilize and get back on track. The damage was/is still deep.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Roy is on his way to have a career revival here, he could stay in a 3C capacity if we pay him handsomely. All-though if we have the 1OA or 2OA we might have no use for him.

I think you're giving the pro scouts a little too much credit. These are two guys that were on waivers. One that cleared and another that probably would have had we not taken him.

Both have been alright, but if our future leaders are waiver wire fodder, its time to start watching baseball.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad