Speculation: Captaincies & the case for stripping Ference, Hall & Eberle

JoeCool16

Sep 9, 2011
Vancouver
Give it to no one, and then wait until the Oilers turn it around. When they do, look at who were the leaders during that and give it to one of them who will be here for at least a few years.

In lieu, I vote Nikita Nikitin :D

LeonDraisaitl

Jan 5, 2015
Saskatchewan
Hendricks atleast deserves assistant captain. He gives so much heart and soul every time he is on the ice. In all fairness I am not sure how he is in the locker room.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Valid point, I would like to see a long term option like Hall or Nuge but it doesn't seem that they are ready yet.

It's possible that I'm just getting impatient with how we pick our captains. The last time we had an elite player be captain was Doug Weight. When other fans thought of the Oilers back then, that's the player everyone knew (or Cujo).

Every single captain since then has been a player that we put the C on like it's a gold star for effort. There's been lots of grit, warm and fuzzy off ice stuff, and/or popularity with the media. What's the point? Did we make Moreau captain to try to inspire Hemsky to work as hard as him? Does that ever work?

I don't buy that someone like Hall isn't ready. What makes Landeskog so much better? There are times when teams have given the C to their most TALENTED player even before the results came as a sign of faith in them and to send a message to everyone that this player is the future face of the franchise.

And I don't think that it is insulting to not give someone a letter. Not having a letter isn't holding Gordon back from providing leadership on the team, and I doubt he's working as hard as he is just so that he can finally have a C shaped piece of cloth on his jerseys.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Honestly, it's not worth it to change it now. Either let Ference keep it, or don't have a captain and have one player earn it. Rather wait out for Nurse to come in and get it in 3-4 years.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I voted Ference for now.

As of this moment no one really deserves to appointed captain and I don't really think Ference deserves the humiliation of having it stripped despite him not being the greatest.

Come the off-season it'll be time to make moves like that.

BasedGOD*

Can we just give it to Nurse right now? Thanks

Might be too much pressure for a young developing star. Then again he could rise to the challenge and become a great leader. Only time will tell.

Also, whomever added Scrivens into the poll, you realize goaltenders cannot be captains as per the new CBA. I do agree he is a leader on this team but it's just not possible. Perhaps forgo the usual C and let the media know he is the captain but have 3 skaters wear the A.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
I'd run 4 As. Some combination of Ference, Hendricks, Gordon, Roy, RNH and Fayne.

Me too. There will never be another Gretzky or Messier, but I think you wait to name a Captain until you have someone who does justice to the history. I'm also fine with leaving it with Ference until such time as he's not resigned, then leave it vacant.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Might be too much pressure for a young developing star. Then again he could rise to the challenge and become a great leader. Only time will tell.

Also, whomever added Scrivens into the poll, you realize goaltenders cannot be captains as per the new CBA. I do agree he is a leader on this team but it's just not possible. Perhaps forgo the usual C and let the media know he is the captain but have 3 skaters wear the A.

Your sarcasm meter must not work very well. Obviously Nurse wouldn't get it and Scrivens wouldn't either.

Hendricks-C
Gordon-A
Fayne-A

The kids do not deserve letters but of course they'll still let them have them

BlowbyBlow

Jan 22, 2011
I hate the topic when it comes to giving a guy captaincy because he has prestige.

All Hall, RNH, Eberle have is prestige (there the so called guys you can't on for scoring)

People look to recent history for success of captains. Yet I can point to a decade ad more so for non success (see Joe Thornton, Vincent Lecavalier come to mind and don't bring up toews, or crosby they have unbelievable supporting casts and there way better natural leaders)

The other thing is that you reward people nowadays with contracts not with letters. Letter are symbolism (meaning that player exemplifies and represent the qualities you want the team to display whether it be heart, soul, courage, toughness, ect)

Look at Calgary Giordano represents that tough blue collar never give up attitude. Taylor Hall more represents skill, finesse and drive - only one problem besides him and RNH who actually from the goal scoring side gives it everything. The other problem with goal scorers as your captains they have to be able most often to be the lead by example (carry the team sometimes think Doug Weight or Messier) type. While Hall is good he isn't yet at that point and he doesn't have a supporting cast so you have to ask is he mentally tough to take the beating he will from the media - he better be at a Jarome iginla or Doug Weight in his prime level before he's a captain.

Also I know from experience in life young guys can be put in higher authority but it can't go to there head, I could see arrogance from those guys. I think a big divide already is that you have guys like Eberle who have letters.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Your sarcasm meter must not work very well. Obviously Nurse wouldn't get it and Scrivens wouldn't either.

Hendricks-C
Gordon-A
Fayne-A

Not Gordon, he's on the trade block.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Taylor Hall, we always ***** on here about the Oilers trying to reinvent the wheel. Most teams give the C to the guy on their team most capable of being a game breaker. Not the grinder with heart who can hold the zone, fight off a penalty, or grind but the guys who can dangle, make opponents look stupid, and have the game on their stick multiple times a night.

It shows confidence in your talent and I think Taylor Hall deserves our confidence. He can't do it on his own nd he shouldn't have to.

Make him captain and let's move forward with this team.

Klimando Kostani

Sep 17, 2013
Victoria
Another thing, from watching the games and interviews it seems like Hall has been the unofficial captain for the last two seasons.

When Hall is fired up, the team is fired up, when Hall is angry everyone is angry and when he is depressed from weeks of losing everyone is down.

If we make him the official C it shows the teams confidence in him and puts a spotlight on him and the team I think will stand behind him to help achieve what he needs to.

Ferrence on the other hand is a 35 year old SC champion who doesn't seem to be affected win or lose, nobody feels the need to win for him, play for him, or defend him.... that's not a captain

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton

Hendricks-C
Gordon-A
Fayne-A

Pretty good. I think I'd flip Hendricks and Gordon. Hendricks is a solid choice. Probably receiving a few extra votes because of recency bias re: last night's game.

I just see Gordon as more of a leader.

FWIW - as much as I dislike Ference I wouldn't strip him of the C. That's just classless.

Trade him/bury him/buy him out. But to keep him on the team after stripping him of the C would be flat out cruel.

Mr Forever

The Oilers :(
Nov 18, 2010
COLLEGE
Let's not make decisions like this midseason. It's even more Mickey Mouse than the junk the organization usually does. Give Nelson some time to analyze the team and see what's actually going on and then he can make some changes in the offseason.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Klefbom or RNH in a few years time. Possibly Nurse down the road but its way too soon to consider that IMO.

For the time being I think they should just rotate the 'A's because I dont see anyone on this team worthy of being a permanent captain right now.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'd like everyone stripped of their captaincy.

Give Hendricks, Gordon and RNH the As. Let Nelson promote whoever stands out the most.

Agreed.

As much as I like Gordon and Hendricks, I'm sick of seeing bottom 6 players/bottom pairing Dmen getting the captaincy but I'm perfectly fine with them rotating the A with Nuge.
I think Nuge will step up to be the team leader in time. He's already their best overall forward IMO. If he steps up his game in the next year then he would have earned it.

Hall isn't captain material at all. I used to think so several years back but not anymore. He lets frustration creep into his game too often and doesn't seem to be much of an on ice communicator, seems to be in his own world a lot independent of his teammates and pouts. Just my personal observation but he seems to need an attitude adjustment moreso than any other player. You can add Schultz and Eberle to an extent in that category also.

Last edited:

CorpseFX

Feb 9, 2007
Milwaukee
where's Ethan Moreau? i vote him. i also vote for early 2000s Oiler hockey so i can be impressed with bad players trying hard spinning their wheels like the current state.

the fact that people are bickering about this garbage right now = laugh zone.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad