Movies: Captain Marvel

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
Zombies were everywhere and it was mostly low budget crap. Anything with a budget is still popular as well as stuff away from the norm (Santa Clarita Diet, iZombie, Z Nation, etc).

All the superhero stuff has good budgets and are based off characters with years and years of media power. And there's different genres among them. They aren't slowing down anytime soon. They're popular among older folks who grew up with the comics, they are popular with kids, and they're even popular among casual parents because a lot of them would rather watch superheroes than another mediocre animated film.

The whole thing is over saturated. I remember when Hollywood had ideas like Terminator or Back to the Future. It is just lazy writers that either have no ideas, or are scared to present them. You can interchangeably watch any super hero movie and they are basically the same thing. I would rather watch a movie like the Shape of Water. Not because I particularly like lovey dovey movies, but because it is original.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
The whole thing is over saturated. I remember when Hollywood had ideas like Terminator or Back to the Future. It is just lazy writers that either have no ideas, or are scared to present them. You can interchangeably watch any super hero movie and they are basically the same thing. I would rather watch a movie like the Shape of Water. Not because I particularly like lovey dovey movies, but because it is original.
So then.... don't watch them. No one is forcing you to watch them...

Terminator is unique? Its an action movie. What?

Back to the Future I'll give you.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Guess we shall see but I think I know what they might go for with. Really depends on how close they keep her story to the comic book source material. I think Jude Law will have a pretty large roll in the movie.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
"Captain Marvel is an origin movie in that you haven't seen her before, but we think we've stumbled upon a structure there that isn't the traditional structure of what origin movies typically are, which is you meet the character, they have a problem, they get powers at the end of the first act, and the end of the second act they learn about the powers, the third act they probably fight a villain who has a function of the same powers," he said.

"That's a lot of times what a typical origin movie is structured like, but as we introduce new characters moving forward, we want to find ways to subvert that structure, so at least the experience of the film feels new to audiences," Moore added. "We're very conscious of making sure that audiences don't get things that feel like they've seen them before."

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
zdlvcsurfdix3eb4xq5k.jpg

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-5_17-58-56.gif
    upload_2018-9-5_17-58-56.gif
    37 bytes · Views: 3

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So is Captain Marvel basically Marvel’s Superman?

Yes I could read the reams of information in various Wikis but I’m looking for a simple answer.

The plot of the film seems to be kind of like Green Lantern in terms of an intergalactic strike force.

It’ll be interesting to see how they bind her to the MCU Earth lore which I’ve always admired for its relative realism.

I’ve said this elsewhere, but pulling the MCU too cosmic might cost some fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've said it a bunch but the more outer space oriented superheroes get the less I am interested in them.

I hope they find a way to sort of 'reset' the MCU so it can go back to a smaller scale instead of just continually getting bigger and bigger.

As far as I know Captain Marvel is basically Marvel's Superman, but I really have no idea about her character other than 'she flies and is strong'.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

Yes I could read the reams of information in various Wikis but I’m looking for a simple answer.

The plot of the film seems to be kind of like Green Lantern in terms of an intergalactic strike force.

It’ll be interesting to see how they bind her to the MCU Earth lore which I’ve always admired for it’s relative realism.

The character from Marvel that is usually seen as a Superman equivalent is Sentry. I don't know how simple one can answer about the plot.
Skrulls are shape-shifting aliens that have not been introduced into the MCU yet. The Kree, at least the blue skinned ones, we have been introduced to in the form of Ronan the Accuser mostly, are a a warring species who are always looking for new weapons which is why they genetically modified ancient humans and created the Inhumans. Mar-Vell is a white skinned Kree (or Pink kree as they are called in the comics) who are the result of blue skin Kree interbreeding with other species over millennia. There are more pink than blue Kree but the blue ones still hold most of the power and wealth.

Mar-Vell is part of the Kree space force who received powers yadda yadda and ends up going to Earth (not going into details here as I don't think they will use his original reason for going to Earth in the movie). He forms a connection with Carol Danvers (Air Force pilot and later NASA employee) and during a battle she basically gets his powers and in the comics becomes Ms Marvel in a very convoluted way via a machine that she gets knocked into and that turns her into a Human-Kree hybrid.

The Kree-Skrull war in another thing which this movie will be about from what I've read. Looks like it will be different than in the comics which had the Avengers involved along with FF4 etc.

Reactions: HFBCommenter

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The character from Marvel that is usually seen as a Superman equivalent is Sentry. I don't know how simple one can answer about the plot.
Skrulls are shape-shifting aliens that have not been introduced into the MCU yet. The Kree, at least the blue skinned ones, we have been introduced to in the form of Ronan the Accuser mostly, are a a warring species who are always looking for new weapons which is why they genetically modified ancient humans and created the Inhumans. Mar-Vell is a white skinned Kree (or Pink kree as they are called in the comics) who are the result of blue skin Kree interbreeding with other species over millennia. There are more pink than blue Kree but the blue ones still hold most of the power and wealth.

Mar-Vell is part of the Kree space force who received powers yadda yadda and ends up going to Earth (not going into details here as I don't think they will use his original reason for going to Earth in the movie). He forms a connection with Carol Danvers (Air Force pilot and later NASA employee) and during a battle she basically gets his powers and in the comics becomes Ms Marvel in a very convoluted way via a machine that she gets knocked into and that turns her into a Human-Kree hybrid.

The Kree-Skrull war in another thing which this movie will be about from what I've read. Looks like it will be different than in the comics which had the Avengers involved along with FF4 etc.

Sounds like 1950s science fiction.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Hopefully they modernize it up like many of the other MCU origin stories.
I would think they would have too.

Did a little poking around on the net and it seems that this won't be a traditional origin story in that the movie starts with her having her powers already and that she is already off in space with Mar-Vell and his Star Force strike team that includes Korath etc. She gets called back to Earth because of the Skrulls trying to invade the planet a la Secret Invasion. Supposedly we will get a bit of a Nick Fury origin also.

Actually you get backstory/origin of a number of characters in this one movie.

Captain Marvel
Nick Fury
Agent Coulson
Agent Ross
Korath
Ronan

Last edited:

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm definitely intrigued how they are going to work her into the already working universe. Also wondering how they are going to justify not calling her for all of the other Earth crises the Avengers have faced until now.

I also agree with others that the more intergalactic these movies become, the less interested I become. It's refreshing to have a movie where the battles aren't all-or-nothing for the planet/universe (i.e. Spiderman Homecoming).

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
I'm definitely intrigued how they are going to work her into the already working universe. Also wondering how they are going to justify not calling her for all of the other Earth crises the Avengers have faced until now.

I also agree with others that the more intergalactic these movies become, the less interested I become. It's refreshing to have a movie where the battles aren't all-or-nothing for the planet/universe (i.e. Spiderman Homecoming).

Looks like they will have both types of movies going forward. Spider-ManL Far from Home seems to have to cosmic stuff. I would assume the Black Widow movie won't either. Doctor Strange 2 would have some cosmic elements but on Earth I would think as his story arcs in the comics tend to be linked to Earth as the Sorcerer Supreme who protects the Earth from that stuff as mentioned in the first movie.

But then GotG 3 will be in space along with the rumored Eternals movie. Time will tell I guess as they have not let anything out about the future phases of the MCU.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

eh, thats nothing new.

why didnt the Avengers fight SHIELD instead of just Captain America in Winter Soldier when we were minutes away from millions of people being killed by helicarriers?

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House

It’ll be interesting to see how they bind her to the MCU Earth lore which I’ve always admired for its relative realism.

On the other hand, there's also a lot of people who have been expecting the cosmic things..

Last edited:
Reactions: Hypernova

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Who are more powerful, Skrull or the Kree? Additionally, are both of them weaponized civilizations who are set out to conquer everything in sight?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
As far as I know Captain Marvel is basically Marvel's Superman, but I really have no idea about her character other than 'she flies and is strong'.

I'm wondering about this as well, as the only comic book knowledge I have on the character is through X-Men's Rogue who apparently over absorbed Carol Danvers which is why Rogue can fly and is super strong. But is there more to the original Ms. Marvel than just what Rogue can do?... which really isn't anything special and hardly Superman like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad