Captain Crosby for Canada!

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Not surprising at all. I'm not sure how anyone thought they would name someone else captain, Crosby is the face of Canadian hockey. Congratulations to him.

M10

Dec 7, 2013
Babcock probably favors the normal captain persona, such as Crosby's, as opposed to the dark emo, 90's grunge song, poker faced, distant stare, biblical proportions, scaring children, sacrifice a virgin, set up a torture room and give my self 300 lashes if we don't win style of Toews.

Last edited:

High Flying Birds

Aug 29, 2009
Victoria, B.C
Congrats to Sid. Amusing to see some idiots upset by the choice as if the letter on the jersey even matters. Canada is full of captains on their respective NHL teams. But I'm sure if we don't bring home a gold, people will blame Sid for not being enough of a leader :laugh:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Congrats to Sid. Amusing to see some idiots upset by the choice as if the letter on the jersey even matters. Canada is full of captains on their respective NHL teams. But I'm sure if we don't bring home a gold, people will blame Sid for not being enough of a leader :laugh:

This is exactly why I would have been okay with him not being captain. Because if they win, it's because the team is stacked and has zero to do with Crosby wearing the 'C', however if they lose it's because obviously Crosby is a terrible leader.

Basically, he'll never get credit but always get blame.

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
big_f_ing_deal_button-r2616f3f1d6d249b49be7c45c937ce3e5_x7j3i_8byvr_324.jpg

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I'm not quite sure why this news is deserving of snarky comments.

The news isn't. The reaction to the news is in some cases, what with our joy at other people's rage and bringing up the illustrious anti-Toews angle, which many Pittsburghers enjoy more than a Primanti sandwich... even though there's really nothing wrong with the kid / nothing to dislike about him generally. Except that he's not Jordan Staal. :rolleyes:

Frankly what I really don't get is the rah-rah stuff. Is anyone really surprised? And if he hadn't been named Captain should we be really pissed, even though there are many other talented hockey players on that team with good leadership? Sorry, not trying to be snarky for the hell of it but I get tired of the whole ball of wax where Crosby's leadership (and what other people think of it) are concerned. It's just not that big a deal. Especially for the Olympics since most Pittsburghers are not Canadian last I checked. ;)

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
The news isn't. The reaction to the news is in some cases, what with our joy at other people's rage and bringing up the illustrious anti-Toews angle, which many Pittsburghers enjoy more than a Primanti sandwich... even though there's really nothing wrong with the kid / nothing to dislike about him generally. Except that he's not Jordan Staal. :rolleyes:

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not "anti-Toews." I just point out the hypocrisy on the main boards that what makes Crosby a "crybaby" makes Toews or Giroux "great leaders."

Frankly what I really don't get is the rah-rah stuff. Is anyone really surprised? And if he hadn't been named Captain should we be really pissed, even though there are many other talented hockey players on that team with good leadership? Sorry, not trying to be snarky for the hell of it but I get tired of the whole ball of wax where Crosby's leadership (and what other people think of it) are concerned. It's just not that big a deal. Especially for the Olympics since most Pittsburghers are not Canadian last I checked. ;)

Maybe some of us just get a kick out of seeing the main board go into rage over something so minor. ;)

PensFanSince1989

Oct 25, 2008

It's the captain and leader of our team being named the captain of probably the best national team in the world. I don't think it's something just scoff at, even if many of us expected it.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh
meh for two reasons...

1) He isn't Team USA captain, who cares about Canada...

more importantly.....

2) I just care that he & the rest of our guys playing in this meaningless tournament aren't hurt. The real prize is the Stanley Cup, not an Olympic medal.

Pharrell Williams

watch me whip and nae nae
Sep 15, 2013
a particular place or position.
meh for two reasons...

1) He isn't Team USA captain, who cares about Canada...

more importantly.....

2) I just care that he & the rest of our guys playing in this meaningless tournament aren't hurt. The real prize is the Stanley Cup, not an Olympic medal.

I'm an American but I'm cheering for Canada in the hockey tournament because I know that America will most likely have the most medals in all sports and I just want Crosby to bolster his legend status. I'd rather Sid have another Stanley Cup, but I think him having another gold at the Olympics is far from meaningless and will help cement him among the greats.

titaniumexpose

LG Pens & Sharks
Dec 13, 2006
Ohio by way of Ford City, PA
I'm an American but I'm cheering for Canada in the hockey tournament because I know that America will most likely have the most medals in all sports and I just want Crosby to bolster his legend status. I'd rather Sid have another Stanley Cup, but I think him having another gold at the Olympics is far from meaningless and will help cement him among the greats.

I'll cheer for Canada against anyone but USA. Otherwise I agree. Really happy to have a dvr for this Olympics, I'll be watching every game if possible.

edog37

Jan 21, 2007
Pittsburgh

You were happy when Team USA lost 4 years ago??....wow. Putting that aside, the greats are measured by Cup wins, not Olympic medals. I'll be beyond pissed if any our guys get hurt & thus undermine our Cup chances.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You were happy when Team USA lost 4 years ago??....wow. Putting that aside, the greats are measured by Cup wins, not Olympic medals. I'll be beyond pissed if any our guys get hurt & thus undermine our Cup chances.

You mean Nash isn't as good as Crosby? :sarcasm:

SaintRon

Mar 15, 2003
Visit site
Congrat Sid! Rooting order:

USA
Canada
Finns (Määttä and Selänne)
Slovakia (Hoss)
Slovenia (Anže Kopitar)
Austria (Graber and Vanek)
Norway (someone named Lars, Metallica reference?)
Switzerland (kinda neutral about them winning)
Latvia (couple guys from USA on the team)
Sweden (Ekman-Larsson, Karlsson, Franzen and of course, Z) oh wait..Nicklas Bäckström nevermind.
Czech (I am one, but they've got Jags, sorry homeland)
Russia (Sorry Geno and Datsyuk, blame Ovi). Speaking of, where is wonderboy Aleksey Morozov? I guess Martin Brodeur isn't participating.

Allie Kitsune

...and the Brawla Brawla Sewitt
Jan 7, 2006
Pennsylvania

Admit it, you want to see Bylsma and Orpik fall flat on their face and be humiliated.

I know I do.

But in the end, I just don't want to see any more of our guys hurt. Not even Orpik.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Am i the only one actually rooting against Canada Russia Finland?

I wanna see the pens players get a little bit of rest and stay healthy.

I saw a quote from Carlyle the other day where he said the Olympics took lots of energy from the Canadian players in 2010, i don't want that to happen to the pens players, i wanna win a cup.

Michael8771*

Babcock probably favors the normal captain persona, such as Crosby's, as opposed to the dark emo, 90's grunge song, poker faced, distant stare, biblical proportions, scaring children, sacrifice a virgin, set up a torture room and give my self 300 lashes if we don't win style of Toews.
I thought it might be Toews to be honest. Either is an acceptable choice however.

Michael8771*

I'll root for USA first and Russia second. I don't like Canada's smug attitude. I'd be very happy for Geno in his own country helping deliver the Gold to Mother Russia.:)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad