Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Wings | 4/5/15 | 5pm EST | Big game?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Good game.

Caps just finished a stretch of 6 games in 9 days against very tough opponents and collected 9 pts (120pt+ pace to put it context)

Anyone complaining about inconsistency...well...I have little confidence they frame things in a proper persepctive and am pretty sure they are fueled by tunnel vision hate.

I've never seen an NHL team in any year go 100% every shift of every game for 82 games. It doesn't happen. Even in the NFL where there are 5x fewer games teams don't do that.

Now...

2 games left. Home ice, higher seeding and having two days off between each game will lead me to believe there will be not let up, no resting players.

Every point counts. We want home ice and theoretically better matchups.

Holtby goes both games. I have 100% confidence Trotz keeps his foot on the pedal.

Wind down the engines and you may find its not so easy to start them back up.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If Holtby is truly injured and can be healed in a week, call up Grubauer and start him.

Otherwise, Holtsie ;) is a workhorse and plays the next 2 games. I see little benefit to starting Peters.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
If Holtby is truly injured and can be healed in a week, call up Grubauer and start him.

Otherwise, Holtsie ;) is a workhorse and plays the next 2 games. I see little benefit to starting Peters.

100%

We need to beat both the Bs and the Rags if for NOTHING ELSE a psychological edge.

Holtby gives us the best chance by far.

Vladiator16*

100%

We need to beat both the Bs and the Rags if for NOTHING ELSE a psychological edge.

Holtby gives us the best chance by far.

Agree... Cant be backing into it, would love to see us coming in swinging :yo:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Good game.

Caps just finished a stretch of 6 games in 9 days against very tough opponents and collected 9 pts (120pt+ pace to put it context)

Anyone complaining about inconsistency...well...I have little confidence they frame things in a proper persepctive and am pretty sure they are fueled by tunnel vision hate.

I've never seen an NHL team in any year go 100% every shift of every game for 82 games. It doesn't happen. Even in the NFL where there are 5x fewer games teams don't do that.

Nobody said they expected 100% consistency for 82 games.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Agree... Cant be backing into it, would love to see us coming in swinging :yo:

Exactly.

Its also about the mentality.

We played a terrible stretch of hockey after a solid game where we controlled the Islanders for 55 minutes a few weeks back. The last 5 minutes we took the foot off the pedal.

Escaped with victory but went onto play a few bad games.

The team needs to have the mentality of pressing their advantage. Keep the momentum going. Relax and it can come back to bite you.

I thought that was a big problem with our 88-89 team. Took the foot off the gas.

We won like 8 in a row, clinched 1st seed (or essentially did) ..then relaxed...

Lost 3 of our last 4 and the momentum we had gained leading to a first round exit. That season we had a VERY good team. Getting Dino, Rouse and Calle at the TDL was incredible and vaulted us to another level. 3 40 goal scorers. Dino had 12 in 11 games for us (albiet 4 in a troucing of the hapless Nords)

It sends a message out to the players saying "relax now...we're good!"

Nobody said they expected 100% consistency for 82 games.

That was more hyperbole by me truth be told. The REAL question is what is the true level of acceptability? Its hard to judge and impossible to quantify.

Overall I've been very pleased by the Caps consistentcy this year. We have hardly ever gotten blown out and been in pretty much every game.

3-0 deficits dont turn into 5-1 losses too often this year.

They've played hard, extremely physical and have stuck together.

Do they have holes? Yeah. But so does every single team. Do they have lapses? Yeah. But far fewer than most teams I've seen generally.

Even the commercials from the NHL network pumping up the Ottawa game mentioned them as the "consistently good Caps"

Last edited:

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Bob you have an excellent point, I was thinking Holtby would need a few days off. It looks like he actually will anyway the games are spaced out a touch. I think he will be fine. I'd be ok with giving peters one game, but if you're going to do it let him have boston and holts against rangers.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Lots of guys elevating their games over the last couple of weeks: Mojo, Brouwer, Chim, Laich, Green (notwithstanding the too-fancy pass to the slot in OT Saturday night), and Kuzy. Great to see. Orpik and Nisky have really been making GMBM look smart here down the stretch.

Would be good if the guys who have been here awhile - Laich, Green, Ovie and Nick - get themselves energized by the notion that there's something different about this team. I think there are higher levels of intensity and focus that can be summoned from each of those guys, and there's less getting in the way of doing that than in previous years (i.e., no Oates insanity, disenchantment with Hunter's style, Bruce inability to match wits with Guy Boucher, frickin Halak, or sub-standard D corps). Hopefully, each of them sniffs that may be the best opportunity they've had in 4 or 5 years to do something - and they seize it.

Don't want the wild card for sure. Not sure I wouldn't prefer finishing 3rd and starting on the road though - because this team plays such good roadies lately. Would be OK with starting on road in Pitt, but the Isles barn will be crazy.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Bob you have an excellent point, I was thinking Holtby would need a few days off. It looks like he actually will anyway the games are spaced out a touch. I think he will be fine. I'd be ok with giving peters one game, but if you're going to do it let him have boston and holts against rangers.

Well I'd be weary of not going with Holtby from here on out. It will send the wrong message IMO.

Marcel,

No chance I want the wild card. We must go for that 2nd seed and start at Verizon. It's very very important.

Vladiator16*

Well I'd be weary of not going with Holtby from here on out. It will send the wrong message IMO.

Marcel,

No chance I want the wild card. We must go for that 2nd seed and start at Verizon. It's very very important.

Unless of course he is nicked up a bit...

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Unless of course he is nicked up a bit...

Goes without saying. Don't think thats the case however.

Besides I'm sure he wants to go for the team record 42 wins anyhow and he is the kind of goalie who plays better the more he plays.

It would be different if he was 35 and not 25.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Wilson is officially listed as day-to-day. There is at least one more phase of concussion protocol that takes place after the initial incident.

I'd be more concerned about internal bleeding than anything else, though.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Wilson is officially listed as day-to-day. There is at least one more phase of concussion protocol that takes place after the initial incident.

I'd be more concerned about internal bleeding than anything else, though.

is common for every head injury or because it may be a concussion?

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
It looks like a bunch of our favorite "whipping boys" finally got the memo...

We are much, much better when passengers start giving maximum effort.

Ovie/Nick split is really working since Kuz decided to show that he can be a boss...

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
It looks like a bunch of our favorite "whipping boys" finally got the memo...

We are much, much better when passengers start giving maximum effort.

Ovie/Nick split is really working since Kuz decided to show that he can be a boss...

Trotz MUST have said something to Mojo and Brouwer. Those two are playing some of the best hockey right now. Somehow its Nicky who is the one that is invisible on that line. But again, as many have thought, I think he might have a nagging injury. Ovi's been a little off the last couple of games as well.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Trotz MUST have said something to Mojo and Brouwer. Those two are playing some of the best hockey right now. Somehow its Nicky who is the one that is invisible on that line. But again, as many have thought, I think he might have a nagging injury. Ovi's been a little off the last couple of games as well.

I suspect Trotz simply told them, you have a new center.

I suspect Nick talked to them, if anyone. Nick has to be a leader on our team, and can see it happening. MJ you have a good shot. Use it! TBro - you are a beast - let's roll.

Or, all the players figured out its time to start playing... lets roll. See all those shot blockers at the end of the last game?

Players should not need to be told to bring it but perhaps you are right, its all Trotz Talk.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad