GDT: Caps @ Wings. 1/31/14. 7:30pm

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Detroits announcers were legitimately surprised Ovechkin did not use his shot.

As am I. Still. That the guy with arguably the best shot in the league hasn't been coached to use it or refuses to. Bizarre.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Wellman, okay, Oates is playing a hunch.

Erat, hmmm, don't see it myself, but at least he has hands.

But Jeff Freaking Beagle? I don't even understand what possible theory or hunch or idea could be underlying that. What about Ward or Carlson or Carrick or Orlov or MoJo? Anyone but Beagle.

Last time I was that baffled was watching a Pee Wee game where the team was down by a goal with 10 seconds left, had been buzzing and swarming, had a faceoff in the offensive zone, and the coach didn't pull the goalie for an extra attacker. Just totally weird. (And yes, I'm talking about the Golden Bears-Ducks Pee Wee A game last Sunday in Yorba Linda, Calif., for all you Pee Wee hockey fans.)

Last edited:

MrGone

Nov 18, 2009
An injury prone player who is far more valuable when healthy than any Caps fans give him credit for?

That's a good one. He has not done enough good to out way the bad in years. And now he is just another asset going down the tubes for nothing.

Even at his best is game dropped way off as soon as he was banged up. And that was way to often seeing he could never protect himself. And not only being a question make physically. He was weak mentally. He always has a sad sulking look on his face. He is anything but a leader.

Anyone that thinks he was playing well does not remember just how good he was. And yes the day we should of got rid of him there would have been a hole to fill. But the team would have been much better in the end from doing it.

A team with no real NHL D depth can not win in the playoffs with a #1D that does not play like a #1D in his own end.

For years now people have been saying "When are we going to someone to play with Green" If he was a true #1 he should be able to carry the pair.

Yea great +55 for Shultz. The good old days. What did that team do in the end again? Not much different then the past few years.

The team will be better off as soon as they find someone to fill the whole.

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO

As am I. Still. That the guy with arguably the best shot in the league hasn't been coached to use it or refuses to. Bizarre.

He looks like he cares less during shootouts than he does while on defense.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
I see Oates plan to get Willy more ice really worked out nice.. 6:51, lowest on the team tonight! Guess he checked that dude too hard at the start and ****ed up Oates system... :sarcasm:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I see Oates plan to get Willy more ice really worked out nice.. 6:51, lowest on the team tonight! Guess he checked that dude too hard at the start and ****ed up Oates system... :sarcasm:

Coach Spock had to shorten the bench when Laich got hurt. He was also playing from behind most of the night.

Not defending Oates, but that's probably why Wilson's time stunk despite being one of the only guys who's brought it each night.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Coach Spock had to shorten the bench when Laich got hurt. He was also playing from behind most of the night.

Not defending Oates, but that's probably why Wilson's time stunk despite being one of the only guys who's brought it each night.
That's just wrong.

Don't go insulting Spock like that.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
Heh, I can't take credit or blame for that one. txpd "coined" that phrase.
But the thing is, Spock's decision making was based on careful consideration and, above all, logic.

There's nothing in Oates' decision making process that resembles adherence to logic.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
If I didn't know better I would say Neuvy was not sitting back in goal. Maybe he told Oates and Kolzig to go **** themselves.

And may be on his way to stealing a starters spot. Yes, after a loss. It's that bad.

I thought he had a decent game in the 30 minutes I watched.

BrettXNA*

He is who I said he was four years ago. Be happy this may be the only thing that keeps GMGM from giving him 4x7.

What worries me far more is McPhee using the injury as justification to try to get Leonsis to extend him as the gm.
"This team just isnt the same without Mike, its not my fault he got hurt. Next season he will be healthy and it will be just like I signed a dman in free agency except it wont cost you any more money!"

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
But the thing is, Spock's decision making was based on careful consideration and, above all, logic.

There's nothing in Oates' decision making process that resembles adherence to logic.

Spock's logic was sometimes hard to figure out until you got into his mind and saw the threads he was putting together. It may not have made immediate logical sense, but there was some reasoning behind it. I think the reference applies more to the lack of emotion than brilliance and logic, though.

/geekiest hockey discussion ever

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
If I didn't know better I would say Neuvy was not sitting back in goal. Maybe he told Oates and Kolzig to go **** themselves.

I would almost put money on this. It was my theory as to why he was knocked from 1A or 1B down to 3 and scratched.

"Pass me over several times and then try to change my style? **** you. Trade me right ****ing now."

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Green has had like 1 good series career, maybe 1 and a half in his career. He's far less valuable without Bruce's consent to be a 4th forward and ignore D. He's so not worth the investment.

He and Semin should have been traded long ago. I've said this, I don't know, a thousand times.

yes we've done so well without secondary scoring.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
yes we've done so well without secondary scoring.

Well that's the architect's fault not a problem with the sentiment. Trading Semin and Green at the appropriate time could have built a team. Instead we lost them for nothing and have a group of players with no identity and questionable ability.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Well that's the architect's fault not a problem with the sentiment. Trading Semin and Green at the appropriate time could have built a team. Instead we lost them for nothing and have a group of players with no identity and questionable ability.

fair enough but who could have seen there downfalls coming in 2010.

Kegger

Apr 23, 2002
Texas
fair enough but who could have seen there downfalls coming in 2010.

At least Semin should have been traded, instead of just walking to Carolina. I've never been a big fan of trading Green away personally, but I know I am in the minority.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I've never been a big fan of trading Green away personally, but I know I am in the minority.

I think the time when we could get good value for him is probably past, but i do wonder about the Ducks. Not that they need to make any moves, but BB does seem to be partial toward his former players, such as Perreault, Steckel, and Andrew Gordon. And his emotional attachment to Green in particular is clear in his book. I wonder whether we might get decent value there, especially in off-season if green heals (at least temporarily) and if
Ducks flame out early in playoffs, which is not beyond imagining, even for BB fans such as myself.

SkinsFan09

Jun 10, 2009
Brooklyn

Or maybe he shouldn't be used in the shootout? Oates is the most stubborn clown I've ever seen.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
I think the time when we could get good value for him is probably past, but i do wonder about the Ducks. Not that they need to make any moves, but BB does seem to be partial toward his former players, such as Perreault, Steckel, and Andrew Gordon. And his emotional attachment to Green in particular is clear in his book. I wonder whether we might get decent value there, especially in off-season if green heals (at least temporarily) and if
Ducks flame out early in playoffs, which is not beyond imagining, even for BB fans such as myself.

Problem there is, BB now has a competent GM.. He'd probably tell Gabby to chill on the Green fantasy (at current cost).. Might pick him up for peanuts though, once he's a UFA..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad