Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Wangs - 7:30EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
BTW, what happened with Dowd? He wasn't on the ice with 62 and 21 in the last shift(s?). 92 were with them instead.

shtorm2005

Aug 9, 2015
Montreal, Canada
BTW, what happened with Dowd? He wasn't on the ice with 62 and 21 in the last shift(s?). 92 were with them instead.

3rd period 9:50

upload_2022-1-1_8-38-10.gif

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Not only that, but he was out there to start every period, and was with Carlson protecting the lead with less than 2 minutes to go (with Orlov and Carlson closing the game out). One other thing I’ve noticed about Kempny is he’s persistent at providing a net front presence when he isn’t 1:1, and trying to clear the net in front of Sammy. He still has an underrated snare to his game.

I just don’t understand the logic that he’s behind even Johansen on a roster chart? Johansen isn’t even in front of him on Hershey’s depth chart. I don’t think, at this point, Irwin or Cholo should ever be playing if Kempny is available instead.

If the team were healthy, there wouldn't be cap space to keep him. I think the rest is waiver driven based on watching him play.

Kempny may in front of the bet but he is not a force there

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
The eye test says Kempny is good again. What are the salary cap implications of keeping him on the nhl roster?
We got different eyes. He's sloooooow, he's lost his burst and generally chases the play. He looks better than he did a few months ago but I think he's done for, long term.

I guess if you were still missing Brooks Orpik he looks pretty close to that but...

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
We got different eyes. He's sloooooow, he's lost his burst and generally chases the play. He looks better than he did a few months ago but I think he's done for, long term.

I guess if you were still missing Brooks Orpik he looks pretty close to that but...

Come on. Dont be mean. Kempny has nothing in common with Brooks Orpik. The last time Kempny was on the NHL team, he was awful. He played himself out of the lineup and was calling for that. He was terrible. What Ive seen so far is that he is no longer terrible. He has always been limited but based on what ive seen so far, I would rather see him in a big game than anyone not in the current healthy top 6. I am sure there are several here that would take a Kempny TvR 3rd pair over TvR Schultz. Is Kempny as good as he was before his injury? I dont think so. He is good enough to play, though

Reactions: HecticGlow

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Come on. Dont be mean. Kempny has nothing in common with Brooks Orpik. The last time Kempny was on the NHL team, he was awful. He played himself out of the lineup and was calling for that. He was terrible. What Ive seen so far is that he is no longer terrible. He has always been limited but based on what ive seen so far, I would rather see him in a big game than anyone not in the current healthy top 6. I am sure there are several here that would take a Kempny TvR 3rd pair over TvR Schultz. Is Kempny as good as he was before his injury? I dont think so. He is good enough to play, though
had nothing in common with Orpik.

the Kempny I watched last night was bent over at the waist a lot for some reason C-cutting like a madman just to chase guys into the corners about a step too late. He held on, but did not look "good", and spent a lot of shifts trying to get the puck out of their own end. He's also making bad offensive reads and not handling the puck particularly well, which doesn't help in this system at all.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
had nothing in common with Orpik.

the Kempny I watched last night was bent over at the waist a lot for some reason C-cutting like a madman just to chase guys into the corners about a step too late. He held on, but did not look "good", and spent a lot of shifts trying to get the puck out of their own end. He's also making bad offensive reads and not handling the puck particularly well, which doesn't help in this system at all.

He made a bad read that hung someone out for a 2 on 1 against that ended up in the net. I saw that. So....I failed the eye test and Kempny still sucks. Ok. Moving on.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
He made a bad read that hung someone out for a 2 on 1 against that ended up in the net. I saw that. So....I failed the eye test and Kempny still sucks. Ok. Moving on.
Can you stop being so dramatic for a day? You said he was good again, I didn't see what you saw.

If you just want to say whatever you feel like saying without anyone daring to question it you can scratch the same itch in a word document.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I think Kempny has been pretty brutal to be honest and the analytics (shots, scoring chances, xG’s) all back that up, albeit in a very limited sample size.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012

I think we should be looking at Kempny as a 7th defenseman. So then the question is whether or not he is better than Irwin/Cholowski. Cholowski to my eyes looked like an AHL project. Maybe, with lots of coaching and playing time down there he can get his game to NHL level. Irwin looks OKish. No opinion, really.

It looks to me like Kempny is still trying to figure out how to be effective within the physical limitations that his injuries have brought on. As you say, he initiates plays that he has no hope of successfully completing. Ironically, I thought that Orpik was at his best in his last season with the Caps. His body was broken down and he stopped running around trying to hit people. Just played containment defense and looked pretty good doing it, IMO. Maybe, Kempny can do the same.

Reactions: HTFN

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Can you stop being so dramatic for a day? You said he was good again, I didn't see what you saw.

If you just want to say whatever you feel like saying without anyone daring to question it you can scratch the same itch in a word document.

Ok....you convinced me. Point taken. I take mine back. I cant do that? So....

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Factor in that Kempny's games have been all on a very depleted D lineup and being played 20+ in anything-but-sheltered minutes

I'd say he's been fine, and with a few more games who knows he might get back that lovin' feeling

Wonder what he'd look like 3rd pair with this as the Top-6 and a few more fwds off the Covid list
Fever-Carl
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Schultz

His minutes/usage could be much more controlled and a more healthy fwd lineup could make a big diff. in Team D

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Ok....you convinced me. And....so, you cant convince me? I dont get it bud. Point taken. I take mine back. I cant do that? So....
I'll go ahead and bold the constructive part, then underline the passive aggression for you.

Peeri

Jan 13, 2016
Western Finland
Factor in that Kempny's games have been all on a very depleted D lineup and being played 20+ in anything-but-sheltered minutes

I'd say he's been fine, and with a few more games who knows he might get back that lovin' feeling

Wonder what he'd look like 3rd pair with this as the Top-6 and a few more fwds off the Covid list
Fever-Carl
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Schultz

His minutes/usage could be much more controlled and a more healthy fwd lineup could make a big diff. in Team D
Where do you slot in TVR in this combo?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'll go ahead and bold the constructive part, then underline the passive aggression for you.

You are reading attitude I didnt write. Thats how you see me and you hear it that way. He blew the read. I saw it. Ok....no more arguing over this. I will try and do better

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Fever-Carl
Orlov-Jensen
Kempny-Schultz

I think the thing to consider is that TvR is going to play and Laviolette is going to want Schultz offense.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Where do you slot in TVR in this combo?
For the example I posted, a scratch
but that's beside the point I was attempting to make, which was
simply that with a full NHL Top-6 D (be it Schultz or TVR filling out the 3rd pair),
it'd be much easier to control his minutes/usage not force him into a 2nd pairing 20 min. TOI situation,
he played 3:06 SH in the 2nd pd alone, that's asking a lot

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
you’ve been reading too much into things for a while IMO….just sayin…..please continue ;).
Once is an eye roll or accepting that someone's not having a good day. Ten times is a tactic. If you can't see how playing with words like that is unnecessary and counterproductive on a discussion board I can make it clearer.

It's the "I'm a horrible mother" card, he makes some stupid dramatic declaration about himself or the topic at hand and then insists everyone just move on. Any further attempt to actually address the content and engage with it in earnest is now "piling on" and all you get is a flat response in which nothing else is volunteered. There aren't really a lot of ways to engage with that besides coddling someone you disagree with or dropping the entire discussion, which again, is counter to the whole reason we come here.

I've been here long enough to appreciate both sides of tex's thing, spent years agreeing with them. This is a new behavior and it's genuinely exhausting. If it were a gimmick poster I wouldn't care but it's not. It's like watching your parents do things they raised you to be above, it sucks worse to watch it and it's harder to just ignore.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
It is crazy to think the Caps have won the last two games with only 2 of their regular D-men from last season dressed.

I don’t think Kempny has looked brutal at all - occasional bad reads, but nothing more egregious than I saw from Carlson or Orlov, for example. And I dispute that he’s looked slow - he may well have lost half a step compared to pre-injury Kempny, who could skate with the best of them, but he’s still skating at a good speed for an NHLer.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad