Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Wings 7:30pm Nov 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Detroit's top line has been every bit as good as Washington's top line this year so it'll be interesting (predictable) to see how Washington matches up with them.

I assume Orlov and Jensen will get the bulk of the minutes against the Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond line, but I fear Laviolette is going to throw out Hagelin-Eller-Hathaway every time Detroit's first line steps on the ice. In the last game against Detroit, the HDH line was matched against Detroit's top line and HDH absolutely smoked: they posted a 17% (Hagelin), 9% (Dowd), and 12% (Hathaway) xG% for the night. Meanwhile in the limited time Washington's top line was on the ice against the Larkin line they dominated the play to the tune of 80+% xG.

IMO it would behoove Laviolette to reduce the minutes of his "shutdown" line and spread the minutes more evenly with the McMichael line and the Protas line.

Jun 15, 2007
Detroit's top line has been every bit as good as Washington's top line this year so it'll be interesting (predictable) to see how Washington matches up with them.

I assume Orlov and Jensen will get the bulk of the minutes against the Bertuzzi-Larkin-Raymond line, but I fear Laviolette is going to throw out Hagelin-Eller-Hathaway every time Detroit's first line steps on the ice. In the last game against Detroit, the HDH line was matched against Detroit's top line and HDH absolutely smoked: they posted a 17% (Hagelin), 9% (Dowd), and 12% (Hathaway) xG% for the night. Meanwhile in the limited time Washington's top line was on the ice against the Larkin line they dominated the play to the tune of 80+% xG.

IMO it would behoove Laviolette to reduce the minutes of his "shutdown" line and spread the minutes more evenly with the McMichael line and the Protas line.

HDH is dead I thought. Hags demoted. Eller replacing Dowd.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Jun 15, 2007
Eller hasn't really been any better than Dowd, and if you think AJF is going to stick on that third line I have an NFT of a cartoon monkey smoking a cigar to sell you!
Can you explain what you mean by gambling man nft/global warming speculator?

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Correct. However he says "our country". Hence my original question, is Tom Wilson American now?
YpLcoYB.jpg

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Correct. However he says "our country". Hence my original question, is Tom Wilson American now?

From what I've read every NHL player is paid in USD and I'm pretty sure they pay taxes based on the laws of the city/state/country they play in.

So TW plays in the capital of the US, probably lives here,\, is paid in USD, and pays taxes here. So he can definitely call the US "our country" from that standpoint.

Maybe he'll issue a tweet for offended Canadians later today.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Can you explain what you mean by gambling man nft/global warming speculator?

In a nutshell, NFTs are purported to be certificates of authenticity on a blockchain ledger, mainly representing digital assets such as "art" (i.e. ugly JPG files of cartoon monkeys smoking a cigar). But in reality they are no more than speculative assets with no real value where you just try to sucker people into buying something for more than you paid for it. Like cryptocurrency they are also used for illegal activities like money laundering and paying for items and services and various black markets, such as sex slaves.

Since most NFTs are on a blockchain (Ethereum, in particular), they require enormous processing power for transactions such as creation or ownership verification. One estimate places a single NFT creation as producing the same carbon footprint as driving about 500 miles in a normal car, for instance. Though it's tough to pin down precisely how much energy is used for a single NFT, crypto and the blockchain in general are confirmed to use massive amounts of power and there's no reason to think NFTs don't do the same thing.

Jun 15, 2007
From what I've read every NHL player is paid in USD and I'm pretty sure they pay taxes based on the laws of the city/state/country they play in.

So TW plays in the capital of the US, probably lives here,\, is paid in USD, and pays taxes here. So he can definitely call the US "our country" from that standpoint.

Maybe he'll issue a tweet for offended Canadians later today.
I'm not offended. I just want to know if anyone knows if Tom Wilson is an American now. He probably can't make team Canada but had a decent shot at team usa.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
In a nutshell, NFTs are purported to be certificates of authenticity on a blockchain ledger, mainly representing digital assets such as "art" (i.e. ugly JPG files of cartoon monkeys smoking a cigar). But in reality they are no more than speculative assets with no real value where you just try to sucker people into buying something for more than you paid for it. Like cryptocurrency they are also used for illegal activities like money laundering and paying for items and services and various black markets, such as sex slaves.

Since most NFTs are on a blockchain (Ethereum, in particular), they require enormous processing power for transactions such as creation or ownership verification. One estimate places a single NFT creation as producing the same carbon footprint as driving about 500 miles in a normal car, for instance. Though it's tough to pin down precisely how much energy is used for a single NFT, crypto and the blockchain in general are confirmed to use massive amounts of power and there's no reason to think NFTs don't do the same thing.

LOL yup.

Was talking to someone about this last night and I said it's basically an e-baseball card craze/bubble.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
if you go to Carl Hagelins twitter, it's just a bunch of likes and retweets from NFT platforms lmao

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I'm sure there's a possession-based counter argument to this, but I assume you realize the reason for having a "shut down" line is you take a calculated risk that your defensive forwards will do enough to stop or slow down the other scoring line, which frees up your scoring line to have a better scoring rate vs the opponent's shut down line. This is especially necessary if you're a top-heavy team that can't afford its top line to be bogged down playing defense all game, and getting smoked by the other top line.

IOW the checking/shut down line is going to suck offensively but you hope they mangle the other team's stars while your stars get less mangled and score more.

If you think your top line is going to spend too much time playing defense against the other top line (or they'll give up more goals than they score) you want that checking line taking over that duty, and you try to slot your scorers on changes vs weaker matchups.

Now, if you have convincing proof (not speculation or mildly correlated stats) that show significant scoring advantage when you play nothing but offensive lines that could potentially be outgunned by the other team's scoring lines, they should be posted and then sent to Lavi immediately as that would change hockey entirely and forever.

Someone has to score fewer goals in every game unless we expect every contest to go to a shootout. So theoretically, if you want to win, you need to assess when you're at an offensive disadvantage and do something about it, otherwise you lose, right? The only way to stop that is some kind of EA cheat code that lets you stockpile the league's top scorers on every line, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad