Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Red Wings Oct 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Justin Schultz is the last option I’d play on D during 3v3.

I’m not really concerned about the result since 3v3 is a gimmick, but I’m a bit concerned about the talent evaluation when Schultz was getting 20+ minutes in the postseason and he was their second D over the boards during 3v3. It leads me to believe that maybe some other bad decisions are coming.

Just my opinion, Schultz looks like the Caps worst d-man. Carlson I put as 2nd worst right now. Carlson won't be scratched, but I would scratch Schultz and see what Cholowski brings to the table.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Should've been a regulation W
Figured we'd have been up 4-2 or so after 2nd
3 of 3 OTLs is shitty, but overall 4-0-3 is still damn good

Feels like the 1st point of the season we threw away

Holy shit with some of Kuzy's skills tonight though

Reactions: Corby78

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Just my opinion, Schultz looks like the Caps worst d-man. Carlson I put as 2nd worst right now. Carlson won't be scratched, but I would scratch Schultz and see what Cholowski brings to the table.

Schultz being a #6D doesn’t hurt them now since Backstrom is on LTIR, but when Backstrom is ready to come back Schultz is the first guy I’m trading away if the salary cap becomes an issue, especially if they are looking for an upgrade elsewhere in the roster. $4 million is way too much for a fringe NHLer for a capped out team.

Cholowski hasn’t done anything to really earn a look but it can’t hurt I guess. They picked him up for a reason.

Reactions: crab

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Schultz being a #6D doesn’t hurt them now since Backstrom is on LTIR, but when Backstrom is ready to come back Schultz is the first guy I’m trading away if the salary cap becomes an issue, especially if they are looking for an upgrade elsewhere in the roster. $4 million is way too much for a fringe NHLer for a capped out team.

Cholowski hasn’t done anything to really earn a look but it can’t hurt I guess. They picked him up for a reason.
They picked him up based Nick Jensen's recommendation seeing what Cholowski could do when he was still with the Wings. Cholowski has all the tools to be an NHL d-man, but he fell out of favor with the Wings because he's played with some inconsistency.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
They picked him up based Nick Jensen's recommendation seeing what Cholowski could do when he was still with the Wings. Cholowski has all the tools to be an NHL d-man, but he fell out of favor with the Wings because he's played with some inconsistency.
They picked up Cholowski from the Kraken via waivers, rather than the Wings. The Kraken had simply too many players, given they drafted 30 guys for 23 slots in the expansion draft, signed a few free agents, and only traded a couple away.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
They picked up Cholowski from the Kraken via waivers, rather than the Wings. The Kraken had simply too many players, given they drafted 30 guys for 23 slots in the expansion draft, signed a few free agents, and only traded a couple away.
The point was that Jensen played with Cholo in Detroit and recommended grabbing him. That he was on waivers from Seattle rather than the Wings is irrelevant.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
The point was that Jensen played with Cholo in Detroit and recommended grabbing him. That he was on waivers from Seattle rather than the Wings is irrelevant.

I'm hoping Cholowski finds the right direction with the Caps, because if he does then it could make up for that 2nd round pick we gave up to get VV back. That 2nd round pick then turns out to be Cholowski + VV.

Reactions: Calicaps

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
That is mighty prescient of you but it was also the Redwings ability to keep possession in OT that led to the goal.
I don’t want to take anything away from the Wings, but this is our third OT loss in a row. The Caps will have to change something in their approach to OT tactics.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I don’t want to take anything away from the Wings, but this is our third OT loss in a row. The Caps will have to change something in their approach to OT tactics.

2 of the 3 players the Redwings had in the 3x3 OT were highly skilled rookies(Raymond and Seider) in combination with their best player Larkin. That is how much confidence the coach had in them and the kind of impact they have had on the Redwings. And they delivered just they like have been doing all along keeping possession thru almost the entire OT before finally getting the game winning goal.

Having said that I also was surprised that with all the stars that the Caps had that they didn't do better. I am not sure why they have been so ineffective in OT though as you mentioned.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
Needs more out-of-the-box thought 3 v 3. Put Hags out there (yes I’m serious) with Jimi and Orlov. 3 v 3 is about speed, puck hounding/puck retrieval, solid man to man D and Hags excels at all of those. Put him out with a high-speed skill guy and a high motor rate 2-way D guy. Can’t be worse than what we’ve seen 3 v 3 this year - which starts with the fact that none of the guys Lavi puts on the ice can retrieve a puck, other than Tommy

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Sucks to blow a two goal lead at home but Ovi scored again and we got a point so...?

Scoring depth is my biggest concern at the moment followed by goaltending. 17/28 goals (61%) have been scored by Ovi, Kuz, and Osh. Mantha is the only other forward with more than one goal. Nick Jensen is tied for 4th on the team in goals scored. Still early I know but scoring depth has been a problem and it looks like it's still a problem.

And I don't really feel confident that we have anything better than bottom five to seven goaltending in the league. Samsonov is a mess who has shown no real development or consistency nor any promise that he's going to live up to his potential and Vanecek is not a difference maker. If I'm running the team I'm not sure I'm giving them any more time to develop; they have to win now and goaltending, while somewhat random, is a big part of making a deep run.

Reactions: max21

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
2 of the 3 players the Redwings had in the 3x3 OT were highly skilled rookies(Raymond and Seider) in combination with their best player Larkin. That is how much confidence the coach had in them and the kind of impact they have had on the Redwings. And they delivered just they like have been doing all along keeping possession thru almost the entire OT before finally getting the game winning goal.

Having said that I also was surprised that with all the stars that the Caps had that they didn't do better. I am not sure why they have been so ineffective in OT though as you mentioned.
You are making it just about the Wings. The Caps have lost in OT to the Lightning, the Flames, and the Wings so far this season (just seven games in). The Caps clearly have a problem in the 3 on 3 game. And I am sorry to break it to you, but the Caps fans are more concerned about how the Caps are going to fix the issue rather than talk about how good the other teams are. We have to find a remedy.

Reactions: Misery74

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
You are making it just about the Wings. The Caps have lost in OT to the Lightning, the Flames, and the Wings so far this season (just seven games in). The Caps clearly have a problem in the 3 on 3 game. And I am sorry to break it to you, but the Caps fans are more concerned about how the Caps are going to fix the issue rather than talk about how good the other teams are. We have to find a remedy.
The remedy is winning in regulation. I'd like to see better deployments at 3v3 but it's pretty hard to defend once the other team gets possession. It's meant for teams to score so can't really get too upset about it.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
The remedy is winning in regulation.
Well, it's easier said than done. We certainly won't be changing our goalie for an extra attacker in the dying minutes of regulation to break the tie. OTs are inevitable, and we gonna have to do smth about them.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Once it goes to 3 on 3, I have no thoughts that we will win the game.

I also think we should be giving Sammy an extended look here. Right now, it’s hard to envision either of these two winning a seven game series. We need to see what we have, and perhaps, course correct.

Reactions: Firsov99

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Basically, yeah. I HATE Samsonov. Think he’s a waste of roster space and money. Plays like an adult league goalie who has taken a couple months off every game.

I like vanacek as a person and as a backup. Seems like he has a great attitude and has some skill! But I don’t think he gets much better from here. Would love to be proven wrong though.

sounds like you and I are on similar pages
I don't hate Sammy but I'm not really a fan either. I thought we should have traded his rights before he even arrived here. There was too much hype.
I also think we should have tried to find a way to keep Holtby.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Caps have at best a backup goalie in VV and another backup goalie in Samsonov that still looks like he's in development. I'm sorry, but the goaltending stinks! Scott Murray is not an NHL caliber goalie coach. Murray clearly has no track record of note developing goalies. Someone in the Caps organization plucked him out of nowhere. Goalies in NHL make a difference between a team winning and losing. VV/Samsonov are not winning games for the team and in some regards their losing games or close to losing games for the team. Bottom line, there is no consistency with Caps goaltending right now.
I think you hit the nail on the head. But then again aren't you the guy that plays goal?

Hugh Mongusbig

Mar 7, 2012
Mantha played a pretty uninterested game. You'd think he would have shown a little fire against his former club.
other than a secondary assist on #8's goal, he was pretty much invisible tonight.

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I had the game on but was distracted during OT and didnt rewind it ... I saw Kuzy won the opening FO

Alan May I think said Carlson made a bad pass that gave up possession and then Detriot played keep away

It just seems like we always are the ones chasing possession and then when we get it we dont cherish puck possessions like other teams. We make some 50/50 pass or some aggressive pass.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
My point was more about the "fell out of favor with the Wings..." portion of his statement, which implied that he was either waived by the Wings or otherwise jettisoned by them. In reality, he was just wasn't one of the three D that the Wings protected (Leddy, Hronek, Lindstrom), and then lost out on a relatively crowded Seattle D corp. The Kraken D isn't great, but it also is still pretty deep, with the worst player probably being Lauzon (who was solid on Boston's 3rd pairing last year).

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

I know but in the case of the game last night, it is just impossible to win a game in overtime if you can't keep possession of the puck like the Caps did. That is what it came down to.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I know but in the case of the game last night, it is just impossible to win a game in overtime if you can't keep possession of the puck like the Caps did. That is what it came down to.

Welcome to the Caps of the past 4 years lol

Reactions: Neil Racki

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Mantha played a pretty uninterested game. You'd think he would have shown a little fire against his former club.
other than a secondary assist on #8's goal, he was pretty much invisible tonight.
That’s how Mantha plays. He has no fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad