Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Red Wings Oct 27

Status
Not open for further replies.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Detroit has been a good 5v5 team this season, no doubt because Team Cancer Jakub Vrana is currently sidelined. They currently have about a 57% xGF share. It should be a fun game.

I hope Washington stays away from Tyler Bertuzzi!

Reactions: koalabear9301

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Detroit has been a good 5v5 team this season, no doubt because Team Cancer Jakub Vrana is currently sidelined. They currently have about a 57% xGF share. It should be a fun game.

I hope Washington stays away from Tyler Bertuzzi!

I can see Jensen getting in a fight with Bertuzzi. They already did that on training as teammates.

Reactions: Devil Dancer

Jun 15, 2007
If Detroit offered Vrana for Mantha 1 for 1, they keep the picks, I'd do it.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I can see Jensen getting in a fight with Bertuzzi. They already did that on training as teammates.

He means that Bertuzzi isn't vaccinated :laugh:

I guess we've all had enough of the Caps and Covid Protocols right now.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
How would you do that exactly?
You do realize it's ok to do more than one thing even if you have Ovi, right? First, I would change the zone entries and burn the slingshot with fire. It's garbage. They have to be one of the worst teams in the NHL at gaining the zone with control on the PP.

There would also be more movement if I was running things as well. For example, in one set Mantha would be moving behind the net for a back door look while Carlson and Ovi were interchanging forcing the D to move and decide which option to take away.

There's zero creativity on either zone entries or once they have control. It's way too predictable and easy to defend, and it doesn't even tire the PKers out because they're not forced to move at all. They're not forcing the issue at all, they're not forcing defenders to make a choice, they're not getting anyone to move. It's terrible.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Ovechkin's 2nd goal vs ottawa came at the end of powerplay, it was even but effectively a PP goal. Eller and Wilson were out. I'd start with them. And good point, Carlson and Ovi need more movement and should rotate if things turn stale. Get Wilson to take the Oshie role for now with perhaps a bit more of net front to piss everyone off. Keep Eller down low to fight for loose pucks. Kuzy can stay at the half wall.

Just something to get this going. If they start connecting more on the Powerplay, we're golden. Love the 5v5 goals lately, bury some PP goals as well...other teams don't have a chance

Reactions: Misery74

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Do the opposite or something different from of what they've been doing would be a start.

Yea, ok. I ask this question for a reason. Do you want to take Ovechkin off the pp or change the format so that he isnt the primary shooter? If yes, who is a better primary shooter? Do you want to put Ov in front of the next and shoot pucks at him? I hear you saying that you think its not working but then I look at the situation and dont see a lot of options of a significant nature. Unless you want to make Ovechkin less of a feature which the PK has already won if you do that.

So...I ask what suggestions you have because I dont see much.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Ovechkin's 2nd goal vs ottawa came at the end of powerplay, it was even but effectively a PP goal. Eller and Wilson were out. I'd start with them. And good point, Carlson and Ovi need more movement and should rotate if things turn stale. Get Wilson to take the Oshie role for now with perhaps a bit more of net front to piss everyone off. Keep Eller down low to fight for loose pucks. Kuzy can stay at the half wall.

Just something to get this going. If they start connecting more on the Powerplay, we're golden. Love the 5v5 goals lately, bury some PP goals as well...other teams don't have a chance

Let me ask about a couple of those things. Ok? Ov and Carlson do move. Ov works the entire left wing from the blue line to the goal post and retrieves pucks in the corner. Carlson works the entire blue from far right to far left. The Caps do swap Carlson and Ovechkin some but dont like to do that because your defensive safety becomes 8, which is asking for a shortie against. Would you have them move in a different way than they do now?
One more thing. If you move the bumper from a shooting position to net front, you remove one of the 3 shooting options which makes taking the other two away relatively easy. See my point?

Last edited:

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Looks like Sprong will be a healthy scratch. Not sure if Dowd is in or that they go 7D.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
IMO - the powerplay "formation" is fine. It works as designed, and once they get into formation they are still highly dangerous (as is almost any team in the NHL once they get into formation).

The issue is getting into formation quickly and consistently, and that's where the Caps have stagnated over the past few years. At their absolute peak, they were the fastest in the NHL at getting into formation. While that stat tracking project no longer exists, I highly doubt that's the case anymore. Their zone entries have regressed and they haven't been able to find an evolution to answer the other teams yet.

Also, the personnel on both units could still use some tweaking (get Sheary the hell away from the PP).

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd simply clone Alex Ovechkin and just have 6 of him on the ice at one time (pull the goalie). One-timers from everywhere.

Ovie in his office? One-timer.

At the point? One-timer.

In the bumper? One-timer.

On the half-wall? One-timer.

In the crease? One timer.

Behind the net? One-timer.

In the neutral zone trying to gain entry? One-timer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad