Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Pens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
Meh, there were stretches where the Pens were pushing but overall you could tell they were frustrated and they started letting their goons act up. They were gifted at least one goal so they got a little of momentum at the end from b2b penalties etc.

garbage time.

that's true, but they did have a few breakaways and odd man rushes that resulted in no goals for them.. they could have easily potted at least one of them.

Kessel had one, Malkin on an odd man rush, I think they had a breakaway on a short handed attempt as well... they hit a couple pipes. Game could've been different if one of those had gone in.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
if you want to make MAF numbers look good playing him in games like yesterday won't help. Give him the easier ones like Ottawa tonight. But whatever, I hope they aren't able to trade him.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
if you want to make MAF numbers look good playing him in games like yesterday won't help. Give him the easier ones like Ottawa tonight. But whatever, I hope they aren't able to trade him.

I agree, I am literally guessing myself and trying to assume why.

Rotoworld Quote:

There is no sure thing that Marc-Andre Fleury will be the goaltender traded by the Penguins before the expansion draft.
Each team can only keep one goalkeeper and Fleury has a no-movement clause so unless he waives it, the Penguins are obliged to protect him

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/...fleury-will-be-dealt?ls=roto:PIT:topheadlines

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
It looks like Trotz has more or less abandoned his preferred offensive system of "endless cycling and hope for the best." The guys seem to be pressing to "run" in transition and then doing weave drills in the o-zone with defensemen given the green light to go beneath the hashmarks, if necessary, to keep the play going. This current attacking system fits their personnel so much better and I hope they stick with it. Holtby playing at a Vezina level certainly helps.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Never in any trouble in this one. Holtby was really good in the 1st but after that the Capitals had this game pretty much where they wanted. Without the brutal refereeing the Penguins would have been shut out.

Good win.

4thTierSport

Feb 15, 2009
Nice to see Caps getting a couple extra goals in games they are winning instead of complete lock down mode.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
This is the first game I've watched DVR style on NHL.tv, starting late and skipping commercials. Holy crap what a great experience! I might have to start tuning in late on purpose.

Caps have looked like their late 2015 selves for a couple of weeks now, largely thanks to strong play from 8, 19 and 70. 92's resurgence at the same time makes them almost impossible to beat.

All great signs. They're peaking too soon, but it's great to know they're still capable of being this good.

how do you skip the commercials?

Never in any trouble in this one. Holtby was really good in the 1st but after that the Capitals had this game pretty much where they wanted. Without the brutal refereeing the Penguins would have been shut out.

Good win.

My sense as well. The Captain scores for 1,000 in the first minute and the Caps basically never looked back. Pens pressed to tie it in the first, but Holts was not having that. Then the D settled in and that was that.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Why try to cycle against an opponent who is better than you at cycling? #gametogamestrategies

Closer to... year to year.

I didn't see a single change this significant from the blizzard through game 4 vs Pitt. In fact, I saw nothing new this fall - just less hitting, through Thanksgiving.

We have rarely to never seen the cycle completely abandoned to this magnitude, even you must admit this.

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It looks like Trotz has more or less abandoned his preferred offensive system of "endless cycling and hope for the best." The guys seem to be pressing to "run" in transition and then doing weave drills in the o-zone with defensemen given the green light to go beneath the hashmarks, if necessary, to keep the play going. This current attacking system fits their personnel so much better and I hope they stick with it. Holtby playing at a Vezina level certainly helps.

Good observations, and I agree. I have seen signs of abandonment slowly happening over the past month. I think Carlson's kick in from the door step, Schmiddy from the RW circle, are not coincidence.

Our offense is much more dynamic offensively, almost overnight. I would like to see Vrana back up for another cup of coffee, with the cycling on the back burner. While he has beefed up, I think this style also suits him better, along with Bura. Even crash the net types like Williams or Wilson should do better in front of the net vs behind it. Does that even need to be said?

When our best players include Ovi and Kuzy, cycling is not the key to a cup. It's almost that simple. Barry has got to find a way and I am really liking what I am seeing lately. It's been about a year.

Holtby should be able to Grant Fehr (Wheat Kings) err Fuhr us to the finals. He should not need heavy defensive support.

He needs goal scoring support, not grinding 2-1 coin flip games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad