Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Pens 7pm Dec 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlushMinus

Nov 18, 2021
Was surprised by the result - expected the Caps to win this one but seems like with the Pens it can always go either way with these teams.

Interesting to see the bad comments about Sprong. I actually thought the effort was there and he was working pretty hard. Seems like he whiffed on a couple of good opportunities. He missed a one timer on a great pass from <don't know who it was>
He seems like one of those players that has most of the tools but just can't quite get it all together - you can see why guys like him bounce from team to team.

The PP is awful. I don't watch all the Caps games but the ones I've seen the PP is so predictable. Oshie and the other guy (I think it's Sheary, if he's a regular on the 1st unit?) never see the puck. So the PK units just need to block the lanes for the other 3. It really needs
some kind of revamp or something.

Samsonov made some awesome saves. He looks way better than I've seen him play in the past.

Reactions: Fred22406Capsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Was surprised by the result - expected the Caps to win this one but seems like with the Pens it can always go either way with these teams.

Interesting to see the bad comments about Sprong. I actually thought the effort was there and he was working pretty hard. Seems like he whiffed on a couple of good opportunities. He missed a one timer on a great pass from <don't know who it was>
He seems like one of those players that has most of the tools but just can't quite get it all together - you can see why guys like him bounce from team to team.

The PP is awful. I don't watch all the Caps games but the ones I've seen the PP is so predictable. Oshie and the other guy (I think it's Sheary, if he's a regular on the 1st unit?) never see the puck. So the PK units just need to block the lanes for the other 3. It really needs
some kind of revamp or something.

Samsonov made some awesome saves. He looks way better than I've seen him play in the past.

Sprong's problems go deep. He's had them his entire career. The penalty plays 4 on 3. Their 4 guys taking away Ovechkin, Carlson and Oshie. They are challenging the half wall puck holder to do something. They give him the entire right wing circle to do something. A lot of things will change when Backstrom returns.

chilimac

Nov 4, 2009
kent island
I seem to recall an interview with Fever after the first Pens game where he was asked about Sid's shenanigans and he replied words to the effect of '...uh yeah... I guess we will have to see about that in the next game.'

..and last night was that next game.

I suppose it might all be a coincidence that Fever(who in my opinion does *not* play anything close to a dirty game) took a head shot like that....uh huh.

Anyway, hopefully its effects are short-lived and hopefully Buffalo is going to be on the receiving end of a much more determined game from the Caps tonight.

Reactions: Drakon

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
You have no idea. The national broadcast as usual had the Penguins vs their opponent.

Sorry but I just don’t see this. They spent a good deal of time talking about Crosby, the Pens’ injury woes and the work of some depth players, yes. But they did the same with the Caps - numerous discussions about Ovi’s success and the chances of breaking the record, the play of rookies like Protas and Leason, the significant absences of guys like Backstrom and Dowd. They praised the play of the Penguins last night, yes, but that’s because we were outplayed for good stretches, and the energy in the commentators’ voices when Washington became dangerous and scored two was real.

ESPN’s format is a bit different and I can see people disliking certain gimmicks, but suggesting it was in anyway biased or favouring one team is silly. If anything, they started the game positioning Washington as the more capable team and Pittsburgh as an underdog trying to recover.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sorry but I just don’t see this. They spent a good deal of time talking about Crosby, the Pens’ injury woes and the work of some depth players, yes. But they did the same with the Caps - numerous discussions about Ovi’s success and the chances of breaking the record, the play of rookies like Protas and Leason, the significant absences of guys like Backstrom and Dowd. They praised the play of the Penguins last night, yes, but that’s because we were outplayed for good stretches, and the energy in the commentators’ voices when Washington became dangerous and scored two was real.

ESPN’s format is a bit different and I can see people disliking certain gimmicks, but suggesting it was in anyway biased or favouring one team is silly. If anything, they started the game positioning Washington as the more capable team and Pittsburgh as an underdog trying to recover.

I am a broadcaster by trade. I know how things are formatted. I know who decides what they talk about and who provides them with the material. Ray Ferraro looked like an idiot talking about the Caps last night but he doesnt get his own material. It all comes from the production crew and what he talks about is decided by the producer in the production meeting.

That they talked about the Pens mess and then later said, Oh yea, the Caps have had a lot of the same was the design. I watch the opposing tv most nights. Last night was more like watching that. Ovechkin made it harder on them but I heard nothing about Carlson being again a leader in scoring on the defense and Orlov and Jensen being one of the top 5 pairs in the league this season. If you were going to talk about the Caps to an audience that doesn't know them those are two primary things.

Jun 15, 2007
Hopefully we gave them covid at least. Glad I missed this one.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

On one hand I can understand the argument against any discipline, or even a penalty. Feverbeaver is reaching out and Pengo is stretching out to play the puck before bracing for impact. That's the liberal interpretation.

OTOH we've seen Wilson suspended several times for much less.

Thinking either a rule change or a DOPS staffing change is in order this offseason.

Reactions: Corby78

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017

On one hand I can understand the argument against any discipline, or even a penalty. Feverbeaver is reaching out and Pengo is stretching out to play the puck before bracing for impact. That's the liberal interpretation.

Thinking either a rule change or a DOPS staffing change is in order this offseason.

I agree that it isn't a suspendable hit but by the rules in today's game that hit is clearly a penalty. There was no intent so I think a 2 minute penalty would have been sufficient.
You are right that Tom Wilson has been suspended for less. The difference is that Wilson hits harder than almost everyone else in the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I agree that it isn't a suspendable hit but by the rules in today's game that hit is clearly a penalty. There was no intent so I think a 2 minute penalty would have been sufficient.
You are right that Tom Wilson has been suspended for less. The difference is that Wilson hits harder than almost everyone else in the league.

Hitting harder shouldnt be a factor. The league admitted that they suspended Wilson for the Carlo hit because it was too hard. Its depressing

Reactions: Corby78

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Did anyone from Caps step up to fight McGinn? (I wasn’t able to watch the game.) Seems like a fight was warranted in view of hit being dirty, it going unpenalized, and us losing the player for (at least) the rest of the game.

I’m guessing Hathaway would’ve challenged McGinn, but he was out. And maybe the team is asking Wilson to do less fighting, esp. since we don’t need to lose him for 5 minutes of gametime when our roster is so depleted already. What about Malenstyn or Leason? Do either of those guys fight?
Did our physical play increase at all after the headshot on Fever?
No this team doesn't always stick up for one another. Numerous times this season we should have stuck up for our goalies and we did nothing. And there was absolutely no response in this incident with F. either. This does not fair well for playoff time. Letting other teams bully us.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Hathaway out left them with just 43 and losing him leaves them nothing. You might think they would bring in a tough LD at the trade deadline but given the play of their regular 3rd pair, I dont know that he would get a jersey

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

His line is so bad though. There's only ever one part of the body he can hit like that and it's all head. Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: Drakon

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Blows me away, that was the textbook headshot they always talk about. NHL just sucks

It's this kind of shit by the NHL that makes it a joke and why we need enforcers and let players police the game. Everyone knows had Wilson or anyone else the babies hate this would be all over the internet and media that doesn't cover sports. I wasn't totally against the hit because it looked borderline legal to me, but I was angry as a fan it was our player. I expected the NHL to handle it and they didn't. So, now it's up to the players to get it done. I'm not angry about the hit, but I am angry about the pick and choose NHL DOPS and the league.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Found it. It was right after the 2nd goal and i went to the kitchen in disgust. Of course there were excuses for the no call.

In response to the twitter post, the Pens know Fever is a booming star and I wouldn't be surprised they had him marked. The Pens are one detestable team because they whine about that kind of stuff, but then gloat about it while slew footing, nut punching, and throw tantrums when getting ejected from games. With Crosby and company they are super detestable. Even with Lemieux the hatred wasn't so bad. Crosby got an assist or two, Whoopee!

Reactions: swansonsays

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
In response to the twitter post, the Pens know Fever is a booming star and I wouldn't be surprised they had him marked. The Pens are one detestable team because they whine about that kind of stuff, but then gloat about it while slew footing, nut punching, and throw tantrums when getting ejected from games. With Crosby and company they are super detestable. Even with Lemieux the hatred wasn't so bad. Crosby got an assist or two, Whoopee!

Curious what sort of star you see Fehervary as? You mean like a left shooting Carlson/Fox/Letang like player?

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Hathaway out left them with just 43 and losing him leaves them nothing. You might think they would bring in a tough LD at the trade deadline but given the play of their regular 3rd pair, I dont know that he would get a jersey
What about Leason and Malenstyn? Do they fight

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Curious what sort of star you see Fehervary as? You mean like a left shooting Carlson/Fox/Letang like player?

Big enough of an impact to influence a playoff series or potential playoff spot. I don't think he's at that level of those players you mentioned yet, but then again he's not North American that the media here so loves to talk about. From my point of view, he has better physical play and hockey IQ than Carlson and his offensive game will get better. So, having to play on a team with Carlson is a good mentor for that part. I haven't yelled at Fever all year for his defensive play which I regularly do with Carlson. Offense isn't everything, especially for a defenseman. All in all, yes I do believe Fever will become a star like those guys you mentioned. Letang isn't all that imho and I never cared for him. Fox on the other hand is pretty special. Teams watch other teams on tape and any fan of hockey knows Fever is going to be special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad