Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Panthers 5:00 PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
He isn't perfect but he is playing decent and I think he is improving on the fundamentals and positioning. I have been noticing that he doesn't go down as early or often as Vanecek does. He is clearly ahead of VV right now.
Yes, he has gotten better. He is undeniably better than VV (especially athletically). But I just can’t shake off the feeling that he is too busy in the net. His movement isn’t ergonomic. And he is not a rookie anymore. And we play so well now despite being down so many players. It feels like we can shift into another gear when we get healthier. I would just hate for everything to go to waste if Sam (or VV) doesn’t become a rock before the playoffs.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Are we still hating on the goaltending or can we call it good now?

I like our team
The 3 Panthers goals were a 2 on 0 breakaway, and two snipes stick-side top corner. Sammy still came up with some key saves when the Caps were holding onto 1 goal leads. Remember, the Panthers are a high powered scoring team just like the Caps. Special Teams was the difference today with the Shorty and PP goal. Going back to Sammy, as he gets more into a rhythm being the #1, where he fine tunes his game, he will make even the spectacular saves on those Panther goals. Save % can be misleading sometimes of the goalie, considering we are #2 ranked in Shots Allowed.

Sep 19, 2008
PXL_20211127_001031236.jpg

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
With this pre season split squad lineup no game is a big test for this team.
The sky is the limit? :)

We haven’t played anyone as good as Carolina this season. I am looking forward to this game.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The 3 Panthers goals were a 2 on 0 breakaway, and two snipes stick-side top corner. Sammy still came up with some key saves when the Caps were holding onto 1 goal leads. Remember, the Panthers are a high powered scoring team just like the Caps. Special Teams was the difference today with the Shorty and PP goal. Going back to Sammy, as he gets more into a rhythm being the #1, where he fine tunes his game, he will make even the spectacular saves on those Panther goals. Save % can be misleading sometimes of the goalie, considering we are #2 ranked in Shots Allowed.

A yes. Excuses. Reasons. Sv% .864. Were that Vanecek you have buried the guy. Those snipes would have been clean beats with no screens. But ok. I am good with Sammy. I was just checking.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Yes, he has gotten better. He is undeniably better than VV (especially athletically). But I just can’t shake off the feeling that he is too busy in the net. His movement isn’t ergonomic. And he is not a rookie anymore. And we play so well now despite being down so many players. It feels like we can shift into another gear when we get healthier. I would just hate for everything to go to waste if Sam (or VV) doesn’t become a rock before the playoffs.
He is too busy in the net. But I've seen improvement the past few games.
I think he needs more games. He should be getting starts in 2 of 3 games unless VV starts to outplay him.

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
I am looking forward to the game too. I just dont think losing with this lineup says much
Of course it won’t be the end of the world if we lose now. But our star players will get tested nevertheless. This game might have a bit of a playoffs vibe.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Hags with almost 18 minutes on the ice. He’s effectively a … second line player.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Let's not forget Vitek has 450 GP on his career regular season ledger while Sammy has 226 GP across all leagues. Sammy has never in his career been the #1 guy. I think with more games and some trust that he's the guy he's only going to get better.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Sammy can become a rock, Vitek not so much.

Reactions: maacoshark

Firsov99

Feb 17, 2006
He is too busy in the net. But I've seen improvement the past few games.
I think he needs more games. He should be getting starts in 2 of 3 games unless VV starts to outplay him.
We need a longer sample of his consistent play. And he has to play the puck behind the net more actively. Gotta help your D. He still has time to get better, but it’s not like we can wait a couple more seasons for him to improve.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad