Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Kings 12pm et

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
The Caps have good offensive players and great goaltending, so it should be expected that their PDO will be higher than most. Getting outshot this badly yet winning by 5 is just not sustainable though. The top-6 needs to tilt the ice more, especially the top line.

Winning by 5 goals isn't sustainable at any shot rate. People are looking way too much into the shot attempts for this game. As Hive mentioned, shot attempts were even until Washington went up 3-0. After the lead was built the Caps were content to absorb pressure and look to counter.

The Kings throw shots on net from every where because they have low end scoring talent. For a team that bases their success off of physical play, shot volume, and sound defensive structure, their team defense was was pretty bad today. Caps also can match them physically while having a lot more weapons up front. For as lopsided as the shot attempts looked at the end of the game, I never felt the Caps weren't in control of this game.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I missed this game and so I missed MoJo scoring a goal. I may or may not pretend that a goal even happened. :innocent:

EDIT: A King screened his own goalie. lol

Last edited:

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Someone posted the corsi differentials on the kings gameday thread. Yep we got destroyed.

Y0D1ivW.png

It was pretty even until it was 3-0.

e;drmagg beats me to it

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Caps sweep a back to back and two noon games, (traditionally they've been terrible at these) to boot. :amazed: Not to mention, 4 games in 6 nights where they won 3 of 4.

Kind of a bit unfair for a team on the West Coast to play the tail end of a back to back game on the road at noon. They were essentially playing at 9 AM LA time.

Whatever the case though, the Kings used to absolutely dominate the Caps so it's nice to see that the Caps are over that. :handclap:

ovikovy817

May 23, 2015
Belgium
Carlson with just 13:07 ES TOI. And a total of 18:55.
Did anyone notice a play that could possibly hurt him??

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I saw a few bad plays where he just quit on the puck or the play itself, imo. A couple of bad decisions. I know everyone makes mistakes but I recall them being real head-scratchers.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I don't know. I see that he played nearly 6 minutes of special teams. with Trotz often the high special teams TOI can cut down on your es toi. Orpik played 20 minutes which tells me he was getting the first shift after every caps pp. But...who knows

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Corsi is stupid. We won 5-0 and a ton of games we've been even or not so good with corsi and people keep saying "it's going to even out".... yet we are like 17-2-1 last 20 games.

Throw corsi out the window.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
If you listen to that Rangers fan who only knows Corsi/PDO as a metric to evaluate teams/players, the Kings dominated this game and should've won. How about the fact that the 5 goals were scored within 10 ft of the Kings goalie?

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
This game was an example of how *quality* of shots can matter.

On the other hand, I do think the Caps have a bunch of players with all kinds of unsustainable S%:

Oshie 21.7
Mojo 21.1
Connolly 18.5
Williams 16.5
Beagle 15.7
Backstrom 15.6

There's basically not a single player that you could say has been unlucky (maybe Schmidt & Orpik, haha... used to be Kuz).

I don't think they can sustain this accuracy.

I do hope they can improve shot volume -- the top-6 certainly has room for improvement as far as tilting the ice. Hopefully in closer playoff games they'll have another gear to go to, helped by managed reg. season ice time.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
As mentioned score effects are a thing and the Kings didn't really take over until they were down 3.

Also the Kings are a great shot-attempt team to begin with. Not really concerned at all.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Would anyone have thought our PDO continue as long as it has, and what is the record for an unsustainable PDO being sustained... has it been ridden to a cup.

To the layman, we are putting on a passing clinic. Great passes lead to insane shooting percentages, where there are near empty nets.

Corsi is shots, what stat tracks passing? I bet a great stat is to be had based on the fact that successful passing tends to lead to successful offenses. Tons of shots can be overrated for it births the hot goalie.

Last edited:

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Would anyone have thought our PDO continue as long as it has, and what is the record for an unsustainable PDO being sustained... has it been ridden to a cup.

To the layman, we are putting on a passing clinic. Great passes lead to insane shooting percentages, where there are near empty nets.

Corsi is shots, what stat tracks passing? I bet a great stat is to be had based on the fact that successful passing tends to lead to successful offenses. Tons of shots can be overrated for it births the hot goalie.

Our passing and zone time has to be off the charts, same for high danger scoring chances. There's no luck involved in the 5 goals we scored, one of our guys was left all alone in front of Budaj and Zatkoff.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Our passing and zone time has to be off the charts, same for high danger scoring chances. There's no luck involved in the 5 goals we scored, one of our guys was left all alone in front of Budaj and Zatkoff.
@SPORTLOGiQ tracks many of these stats. From 2/1:

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals are 2nd in the NHL for ES Possession Time per game (14:46). They lead the NHL for OZ Possession-Time per game (05:25).

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals have 3rd best DZ Passing Success-Rate in the NHL (74.9%). They are 4th in NHL for Possession-Driving Plays per game (206.4)

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals have 2nd best DZ Possession Success Rate in the NHL (71.2%). 3rd lowest Dump-Out Rate in NHL (17.3%).

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals have the 4th lowest Dump-In Rate in NHL (50.5%). They lead the league for Successful OZ Passes per game (97.9).

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
@SPORTLOGiQ tracks many of these stats. From 2/1:

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals are 2nd in the NHL for ES Possession Time per game (14:46). They lead the NHL for OZ Possession-Time per game (05:25).

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals have 3rd best DZ Passing Success-Rate in the NHL (74.9%). They are 4th in NHL for Possession-Driving Plays per game (206.4)

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals have 2nd best DZ Possession Success Rate in the NHL (71.2%). 3rd lowest Dump-Out Rate in NHL (17.3%).

@SPORTLOGiQ: The @Capitals have the 4th lowest Dump-In Rate in NHL (50.5%). They lead the league for Successful OZ Passes per game (97.9).

Those are the numbers I want to see. They depict this Caps team far better than the simplistic Corsi or PDO. Our PDO is ridiculous because our goaltenders have been Vezina-caliber all season and our forward get easy access to the best shooting areas on the ice. We're not a perimeter team, that's for sure.

I see we are 1st to 4th in those metrics. Who are the other 3 teams? I'd assume it's Pittsburgh, Columbus and maybe the NYR.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad