Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Kings 12pm et

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 19, 2008
RT @WaltonCaps Championships aren’t won in February. But this stretch for the Caps has been as dominant as any in memory. Maybe ever. Enjoy every minute.

GoCaps2004

Jun 26, 2014
does it concern anyone that we get outshot so often? it seems like our shot percentage is unsustainable and we're just getting lucky and converting more often than our opponents

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything
The Kings are the best example to show why Corsi isn't always a good predictor of success. They have 36 shots and we have 17, yet we're winning 4-0. Nearly all the Kings shots have been one and done, they don't even bother making passing plays once they cross our blue line. On the other hand, we pass until we get a good shot at the net from a scoring area, and we're able to making passing plays while in top gear. Our scoring chances have been much better as well.

This game was an example of that. In the future, any blind Corsi-ites should just be sent this game film as a retort :)

The Kings system has worked well, but the Caps defensive discipline neutralized it.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
does it concern anyone that we get outshot so often? it seems like our shot percentage is unsustainable and we're just getting lucky and converting more often than our opponents

No. I think it falls right in line with the idea that shot quality trumps quantity.

discobob

Listen... do you smell something?
Dec 2, 2009
Everything

Depends on the "type" of outshoot. Many games recently have seen alot of outside low percentage shots. I'd rather see the numbers lower, but in many some cases it's teams just throwing stuff from the outside because they can't get into quality scoring positions.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Also don't forget, lately the low shot totals have resulted in a lot of goals so they may have been easing off the gas later in games

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
We play the system well

I am pissed we cannot get our 2017 goals scored per game average up over 5.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland

Absolutely. They are the number one PDO team in the NHL and that is NOT a good thing.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
The Caps have good offensive players and great goaltending, so it should be expected that their PDO will be higher than most. Getting outshot this badly yet winning by 5 is just not sustainable though. The top-6 needs to tilt the ice more, especially the top line.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder why the post game discussion never speaks of Corsi. For instance, using it to say we stole the game, got lucky etc. Is PDO the only advanced stat that supports us winning in 2017?

Our low shot totals may be a testament to our players not feeling the heat to score in this system. The funnel and weave clearly demands passing so that is where the focus is. All reinforced by scoring first almost nightly. The opposition feels the heat, and panic fires.

I feel like I have never seen us try to score a goal up 5 in the final minute as we have been seeing lately. Its almost like NFLs Bellichek running up the score weekly, on his hapless opponents.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
They put away half their games in the 1st period, of course they're gonna be outshot.

They also goad other teams into taking perimeter shots while they themselves take high percentage shots from being alone in the slot and whatnot.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps have good offensive players and great goaltending, so it should be expected that their PDO will be higher than most. Getting outshot this badly yet winning by 5 is just not sustainable though. The top-6 needs to tilt the ice more, especially the top line.

The Kings left Eller alone in front of the net. Connolly scored on a two man break on the goalie. Williams was left alone in front of the net. So....PDO wise the Oshie goal could have been stopped. I forget one of the goals.

But winning games with those kinds of turnovers and coverage errors is unsustainable. No way the Caps should have lost that game.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
missed the game. So I'm just catching up to the GDT. But are we complaining after winning 5-0, to a team who hadn't give up 5 goals in the last 5 games?

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Fancy stats can be boosted by not scoring. A grind it out shift with 5 low percentage shots and with a minute of zone time helps advanced stats.
Now in real hockey a couple quick passes and a goal takes a few seconds and only helps the scoreboard

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
About all those shots against we log, a quote from a favorite movie

It's panic fire. They can't see anything.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Are people really that unfamiliar with the concept of score effects? The two teams were relatively even in shot attempts until Washington took a 3-0 lead. It was after that where LA began to pull away in shot attempts.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I don't disagree, but most games won't be like that. Especially in the playoffs when teams are so risk-averse.

Whats your point? That most teams that have an edge in play will also be no worse than even in goaltending and finishing? I checked quickly. Since the new year that was the 8th game where the Caps win 6-0, 6-0, 7-3, 5-2 and so on. This 5-0 is not an anomaly these days. Many of those blow outs were against top teams as well.

This was a rare game between two teams that played the day before and had travel.
That was a no excuses game for the Kings. They want to think of themselves as a top team and they blown out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad