GDT: Caps Vs Isles 7pm 03/26/13

fedfed

@FedFedRMNB
Oct 28, 2010
Moscow City
Just breaking down the video, not coming to brag:

Watching the replay on MSG, Oleksy went for an epic hit on Nielsen when he should've been in front of the net. He missed his hit, slammed into the boards, and there was plenty of space for Nielsen's pass to Bailey. If I was a Caps fan, I wouldn't be happy with Oleksy tonight.

I think Orlov, who is a left defenseman should've been covering there. While Oleksy went behind the net for a big hit, Orlov went there for no apparent reason. Miscommunication of course, but I think more of Orlov's fault considering Caps play zone D. Goal was scored from the left side, Orlov was behind the net.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Tough game.

Give the Isles credit. They sniped their chances. They clogged up shooting lanes and most of all seemed to get a stick on nearly every pass we attempted.

A few miscommunications/poor decisions and bam pucks are in our net. Caps did alot good on the forecheck but couldn't get enough pucks on net as they were blocked or the last pass was deflected. I think this was the key to the game.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The bigger problem I have with Green after the Jurcina like "oh no where'd the puck go" gaffe, was that he had 2 chances to redeem himself, to try and score in the final 30 seconds.

While flatfooted, he slowly passed both back to Riberio who was eventually forced to shoot. Ribs was clearly teeing up Green to shoot. He is our big gun on the blue.

If he only is going to try and shoot when he has no one in between him and the goal, expect no more 30 goal seasons ever again. I don't give a rats ass if he saw the pattern was full, he made no effort to find a lane. Of course there was a defender there, maybe 6 guys between him and the goal. It's the NHL. Yet we have all seen hundreds of goals scored on scrambles, the defense breaking down after a shot, and unpredictable deflection goes right onto a caps stick. It will never happen, if you never shoot.

He could have totally and instantly redeemed himself to the fans but was afraid to pull the trigger and now its going to perpetuate with teammates fans and himself.

I always say with these offensive Dmen, we can live with their predictable gaffes, but they must directly contribute to goals. If they are afraid to try, its an exercise in futility.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
The bigger problem I have with Green after the Jurcina like "oh no where'd the puck go" gaffe, was that he had 2 chances to redeem himself, to try and score in the final 30 seconds.

While flatfooted, he slowly passed both back to Riberio who was eventually forced to shoot. Ribs was clearly teeing up Green to shoot. He is our big gun on the blue.

If he only is going to try and shoot when he has no one in between him and the goal, expect no more 30 goal seasons ever again. I don't give a rats ass if he saw the pattern was full, he made no effort to find a lane. Of course there was a defender there, maybe 6 guys between him and the goal. It's the NHL. Yet we have all seen hundreds of goals scored on scrambles, the defense breaking down after a shot, and unpredictable deflection goes right onto a caps stick. It will never happen, if you never shoot.

He could have totally and instantly redeemed himself to the fans but was afraid to pull the trigger and now its going to perpetuate with teammates fans and himself.

I always say with these offensive Dmen, we can live with their predictable gaffes, but they must directly contribute to goals. If they are afraid to try, its an exercise in futility.

It did look like his confidence was shaken there. But again..the Isles did a great job at clogging passing and shooting lanes especially in the last minute. They are certainly a quick team.

I know as fans alot of time we squirm at the thought of giving the other team credit but in reality the other guys are world class players too seeing as how they play in the best league in the world.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
It did look like his confidence was shaken there. But again..the Isles did a great job at clogging passing and shooting lanes especially in the last minute. They are certainly a quick team.

I know as fans alot of time we squirm at the thought of giving the other team credit but in reality the other guys are world class players too seeing as how they play in the best league in the world.

Not shooting in one game is no big deal, heck look at Ovi, he looks to pass more than ever before.

But his confidence is shot from long before that, I think. Back to the Yzerman snub, or even further, him bum rushed into 2 critical late goals vs Montreal, in a very tight series.

He is trying so hard to be a strong defensive Dman, and when he fails at basics like moving a puck uncontested from the side the goal, that presumed fragile psyche must just shatter. One of Yzerman's greatests moves as "GM".

The islanders played a great road game and deserve full credit. They have been a thorn in our side even during the strongest years. And yes going back to 1982...

Green's gotta shoot there, or at least try and fake to see if the dog lays down. We had 6 skaters. You can't play patty cake with 10 seconds left. No excuses when the teams best passer is feeding our best shooting D man.

Maybe we are back to him not being able to shoot, like in that Pens series.

EDIT: And may be he is not our best shooting dman. I may well rank Carlson Orlov and Oleksy in front of him, at this rate.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Laich being the leader of men and trying damage control. I wonder if either of them really believe that.

I imagine Green not speaking is more about keeping him from saying something stupid than anything else. Not that I wouldn't want to hear what he'd have to say (because stupid, profanity laden quotes would be fun).

I'm sure Laich feels bad that he made the pass to Green and is doing his best to shield a teammate who had a humiliating blunder in crunch time with every Caps fan watching and hoping to salvage the season.

That play would make Sergei Gonchar proud.

Vladiator16*

This game reminded me the whole series against Tampa... clog up neutral zone and we can do nothing...

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Do you think Flyers would offer up their 1st + for Green? They're desperate for a no.1 PMD. Played with Coburn they could be their first pair.
And Flyers 1st might be a pretty high one, looking like a top-10 pick right now.

Division rivals from next year on.. Except Green to have goal per game in those 5 games at least.

HSHS

Losing is a disease
Apr 5, 2005
Redondo Beach, Ca
I'm sure Laich feels bad that he made the pass to Green and is doing his best to shield a teammate who had a humiliating blunder in crunch time with every Caps fan watching and hoping to salvage the season.

That play would make Sergei Gonchar proud.

Agreed. What's sad is that Brook's knows Green well enough to take that blame.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Tough game.

Give the Isles credit. They sniped their chances. They clogged up shooting lanes and most of all seemed to get a stick on nearly every pass we attempted.

A few miscommunications/poor decisions and bam pucks are in our net. Caps did alot good on the forecheck but couldn't get enough pucks on net as they were blocked or the last pass was deflected. I think this was the key to the game.

Yep. The miscommunications cost us last night. The Isles were very opportunistic. A very sloppy game from the Caps. I don't know if they were tired but NY skated circles around us. Our boys looked very very slow. They were great in the 2nd period though. They were forechecking hard and had them Isles trapped in their zone for long periods of time.

Mojo needs to be stronger along the boards though. Right now he coughs up the puck very easily. Still, that #1 line played well last night I thought.

These next 3 games are crucial.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Not shooting in one game is no big deal, heck look at Ovi, he looks to pass more than ever before.

But his confidence is shot from long before that, I think. Back to the Yzerman snub, or even further, him bum rushed into 2 critical late goals vs Montreal, in a very tight series.

He is trying so hard to be a strong defensive Dman, and when he fails at basics like moving a puck uncontested from the side the goal, that presumed fragile psyche must just shatter. One of Yzerman's greatests moves as "GM".

The islanders played a great road game and deserve full credit. They have been a thorn in our side even during the strongest years. And yes going back to 1982...

Green's gotta shoot there, or at least try and fake to see if the dog lays down. We had 6 skaters. You can't play patty cake with 10 seconds left. No excuses when the teams best passer is feeding our best shooting D man.

Maybe we are back to him not being able to shoot, like in that Pens series.

EDIT: And may be he is not our best shooting dman. I may well rank Carlson Orlov and Oleksy in front of him, at this rate.

There is time for him to turn things around. I agree that he should have shot. I'd rank all of those guys ahead of him at this point too as they seem more willing to not think and just let loose. Green seems to want to wait to make another play. I think its all confidence at this point and thats something that can be turned around.

Yep. The miscommunications cost us last night. The Isles were very opportunistic. A very sloppy game from the Caps. I don't know if they were tired but NY skated circles around us. Our boys looked very very slow. They were great in the 2nd period though. They were forechecking hard and had them Isles trapped in their zone for long periods of time.

Mojo needs to be stronger along the boards though. Right now he coughs up the puck very easily. Still, that #1 line played well last night I thought.

These next 3 games are crucial.

We had our moments and cycled well for most of the game.

In hindsight it was probably best to have left Carlson on PP #1 seeing as how well it was clicking. Green had an all around bad night and I feel bad for him. Hopefully he'll rebound well these next few as they indeed are critical.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
In hindsight it was probably best to have left Carlson on PP #1 seeing as how well it was clicking. Green had an all around bad night and I feel bad for him. Hopefully he'll rebound well these next few as they indeed are critical.

It takes Green 5-6 games to return to form after coming back from an injury. That is the trend with the guy. Thats what happened last time he came back from his injury and its happening again. He gets top minutes the second he returns from injury and to be honest that is a little dangerous. Wish Oates would've limited his minutes for the first 4-5 games.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
It takes Green 5-6 games to return to form after coming back from an injury. That is the trend with the guy. Thats what happened last time he came back from his injury and its happening again. He gets top minutes the second he returns from injury and to be honest that is a little dangerous. Wish Oates would've limited his minutes for the first 4-5 games.

Yeah in retrospect I wish Oates had. But its awful tempting to put a player of his caliber on as much as possible.

Brooks had a bad game too so lets not forget his contribution on that last goal. He botches the play in the offensive zone, runs out of gas after chasing puck and makes a pretty poor pass to Green that handcuffed him.

And he had his role in the 2nd Isles goal as well.

I'm sure some rust is involved for both these guys still.

EYEuhFRAYtee

Smile
Apr 28, 2004
So did Purrow take a skate or a stick to the face?

If anyone cares

from Katie...

>> Mathieu Perreault’s visor broke in the third period of Tuesday’s loss and, in the words of Oates, cut the center “pretty good.†The 25-year-old pivot was getting stitched up after the game but Oates didn’t seem overly concerned that Perreault would miss time.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

THIS!

More so this year because he's also had less time to acclimate to Oates's system and he's not been able, really, to learn how to play post-surgery. The biggest issue with Green is his health. If he can get and stay healthy, he's an asset. Will he ever be a Norris candidate again? Doubt it, but he can be a top D.

Last night's gaff was terrible, and he's generally been trying to be too fancy. But I'm not ready to throw him out. He needs to simplify his game and get more comfortable and stronger. He also could use a solid offseason of hard work, strength and skating work.

The comments about having the right partner are legit too. Folks who laugh and say he shouldn't need that aren't being realistic. Look how long it took Weber to really find his game without Suter. The right partner would do wonders for Green. Frankly, I'd put Erskine in their with him when 4 is back. Let him do the net clearing and beat the crap out of anyone who hits 52 for a while.

PuckBuddy

Green for Selke
Jul 14, 2009
Seattle, WA
If anyone cares

from Katie...

>> Mathieu Perreault’s visor broke in the third period of Tuesday’s loss and, in the words of Oates, cut the center “pretty good.†The 25-year-old pivot was getting stitched up after the game but Oates didn’t seem overly concerned that Perreault would miss time.

That's twice now. He needs to get a different shield ....or stop having his face at the average NHL defender's shoulder height.

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
J Ward VS M Green

Why does Joel get demoted and gets to sit the third period in the previous game for turning the puck over and Mike gets on the very next shift after his turn over yesterday.

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Interesting hearing that Laich is taking blame for that goal because he was tired and saw his defense man had complete possession of the puck and went for a line change.

I think when you are talking about one forechecker if the defense man feels a lot of pressure, just ice the puck... Not try something fancy. So ****ing stupid I swear.

Green should own responsibility for that loss.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Great Britain vs Finland
    Great Britain vs Finland
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $400.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Kazakhstan vs Slovakia
    Event closes
    • Updated: