Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Hawks 8pm ET Dec 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Sammy had a rough night and so did the defense, especially Carlson.

I can't believe they lost twice to this 'hawks team who look utter garbage. :laugh:

Whoever is in charge of the PK should walk home.

I know its fashionable to bash Carlson but how was he having a bad game defensively? He was on for the 3 on 5 where Toews interfered with him and the Hawk's 4th goal which was a 3 on 1.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Carlson has been one of the most pleasant surprises for me this season. I don't think he's ever going to be mistaken for a Chris Tanev shutdown-type D, but he's pulled himself from below replacement level defensively as he was the past few seasons to a good defensive player. Combine that level of defense with his high-end offensive abilities and he's playing like a #1 defenseman again. With Orlov also playing like a #1 and Jensen acquitting himself well Washington is really sitting pretty on the blueline right now.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I know its fashionable to bash Carlson but how was he having a bad game defensively? He was on for the 3 on 5 where Toews interfered with him and the Hawk's 4th goal which was a 3 on 1.
He should have fronted Toews in order to also not sleep on the cross ice pass (which should have been expected in that situation). Instead he wanders up and took himself out of the play just as much as Toews did. He similarly took himself out of the play on the other DeBrincat PPG, going down to the ice and not being able to recover.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013

Poor reads on the PK. Mentioned above.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He should have fronted Toews in order to also not sleep on the cross ice pass (which should have been expected in that situation). Instead he wanders up and took himself out of the play just as much as Toews did. He similarly took himself out of the play on the other DeBrincat PPG, going down to the ice and not being able to recover.

No offense here, but he was in a 3 on 1. He took away the lay up cross ice pass and they went the long way around him. That has to have been a blown coverage putting him in that jackpot. Had he not gone down and couldnt stop the cross crease pass he would have also sucked. I am not sure how he wins in that position and am going to suggest that laying down was what he is coached to do.

Tire fire. I like that

Reactions: swansonsays

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
No offense here, but he was in a 3 on 1. He took away the lay up cross ice pass and they went the long way around him. That has to have been a blown coverage putting him in that jackpot. Had he not gone down and couldnt stop the cross crease pass he would have also sucked. I am not sure how he wins in that position and am going to suggest that laying down was what he is coached to do.
It was hardly a 3-on-1 as there were three Washington PKers to the inside of the three attackers. It's just that the other two PKers were caught in between and not marking anyone or any lane. They might as well have not been there but that's not the same as not actually being there. I can at least grasp what Carlson was attempting so credit for that I guess and he probably is coached to do it. It just comes with consequences re: recovery. Had he shaded more to the middle and stayed upright maybe there's time for a desperation lunge to cut off the lane. Sheary & Fehervary bear more of the blame in being caught in between rather than taking a man or at least a lane. Eller is also slow to mark. It happens.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Skating looked ok?

Also poor Kuzy. I really hope he didn’t get it again but if he did, that he doesn’t suffer lasting effects.

I mentioned it earlier but I thought his skating looked pretty bad, similar to how he skated in the playoffs last year. I also mentioned it's possible he was just being a bit overprotective of his hip in his first game back, but I guess we'll know more after he plays a few more games.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I’m sure there are fancy stats to support Carlson was a tire fire last night? ;)

PKing aside, where maybe you can quibble with a read or two: he was a 92% xGF at 5v5 last night: 2.00 xGF vs. 0.17 xGA.

He's also a 57% overall xGF over the past 15 games. Further, the isolates seem to paint Carlson as the one doing more of the heavy lifting on the 42-74 pair. It's been a real revelation after several years of below average playdriving from Carlson.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
It was hardly a 3-on-1 as there were three Washington PKers to the inside of the three attackers.

Last night this same situation appeared during a pk with attackers on both sides of the crease and the defenseman(Carlson iirc laying out to block the pass). Joe B called that a 2 on 1. This time we are talking about there is a guy on each side of the crease + a guy in the low slot with no penalty killer between the 3 attackers and the goaltender except Carlson. I call that a 3 on 1.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
This time we are talking about there is a guy on each side of the crease + a guy in the low slot with no penalty killer between the 3 attackers and the goaltender except Carlson. I call that a 3 on 1.
F6UG0hz.png

Not really what I'd call an odd man situation per se. Just really poor positioning.

Reactions: crab

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

I looked at it and remembered it wrong. There was an attacker at both ends of the crease. Carlson layed out take the cross crease pass away. There were 2 penalty killers between the bumper guy and the puck holder. They were not in the passing lane and the passes were open and easy. Somebody goes under the bus there but in my view Carlson's job was taking away the cross crease pass. He can't take both passes away himself and if he stands up the pass across the crease is available.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
F6UG0hz.png

Not really what I'd call an odd man situation per se. Just really poor positioning.

Yea. I remembered it wrong. The guys on each side of the net with Carlson in between is and odd man situation, One of 73 and 42 should be taking away the pass to the bumper guy which didnt happen.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Would this really be the consensus opinion of this board if Vitek had given up 5 goals in 28 shots? One of the goals he was literally pushing an opposing player rather than playing the puck. I am skeptical.
Probably not since Vanecek has lost alot of love here.
I admit that I am hard on Vanecek. Because I haven't seen any improvement in his game. I see improvement in Sammy's game but he still has alot more to improve on.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad