GDT: Caps vs canes mar 14th..dont screw this up!!

WcRoenick97

Apr 6, 2008
D.C.
According to the Canes board us Caps fans are "entitled". :nod:

Well, we're from DC, what did they expect?

haha-business.jpg

SimplySensational

Heard of Hough
Mar 27, 2011
VA
Funny had to watch the Canes feed on GCL and the Canes broadcasters were saying the game was pretty meaningless for the Canes... Jets within 1 of Canes...

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
its nice to be happy again but we all know they're gonna break our hearts on saturday

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Jesus, the CAPS don't impress me. Canes have been on a tear lately.

True and they just came back from a 2 nothing deficit and defeated this team that has been on a tear in their barn. Not to mention that the Caps were playing with only 5 d for the majority of the game and our AHLer d-man having 20+ minutes on the ice. A good/sound playoff bound team should not let that happen, hence why I'm not impressed with them.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I think we have been getting heavily outshot because Oates has opened up the offense. Sure enough Ovi gets another breakaway tonight. I think the 2 go hand in hand. The defensemen have been very active. Oates was desperate to get Ovi going.

I think Oleksy should have gotten 3rd star. I miss the days where stars were awarded for more than points and goalie play. Remember Langway and Stevens would just rack them up and they were warranted. Ribs first star is a joke he was falling down all night.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Sharks/Bruins fan coming in peace. Neuvirth was pretty good tonight, any chance he sees more starts or is Holtby still the clear starter?

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Funny had to watch the Canes feed on GCL and the Canes broadcasters were saying the game was pretty meaningless for the Canes... Jets within 1 of Canes...

Saw Canes fans commenting about Tripp's remarks. A shortened season of 48 games, how can any of them be meaningless. That has to be about one of the stupidest things a team's broadcaster (that does not have the last name of Edwards or Steigerwald) has said.

Bonzai

Nov 21, 2008
I listened to the whole game (not terribly carefully, could be wrong) and didn't hear Tripp say it was meaningless for the Canes, just that it was more meaningful for the Caps, which I think is true.

Carolina certainly played like they know the Jets are on their tails. You could see they wanted at least a point for a number of reasons.

Congrats to Ovie on his 701st point. Good win.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Ovi needs to work on his finishing. He has been getting so many breakaways coming in off the wing but has wolski grade finishing numbers...

I am not even sure if O got credited with a shot on goal before Ribs finished it for him. Ellis was down and out the net wide open and he fumbled it and did a pool cue shot as he skated to the corner

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
True and they just came back from a 2 nothing deficit and defeated this team that has been on a tear in their barn. Not to mention that the Caps were playing with only 5 d for the majority of the game and our AHLer d-man having 20+ minutes on the ice. A good/sound playoff bound team should not let that happen, hence why I'm not impressed with them.

Fair enough. I'm just glad we won and that Semin didn't go off for hatty or some other god-awful spectacle. And I'm glad Ovie scored. He plays so much better when he has some confidence. I think that's the main thing missing rite now. Bit of a head case, truth be told.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Saw Canes fans commenting about Tripp's remarks. A shortened season of 48 games, how can any of them be meaningless. That has to be about one of the stupidest things a team's broadcaster (that does not have the last name of Edwards or Steigerwald) has said.

Dumber than Locker giving a near last place team no worse than a "C" and lots of "B"s in grading the first half of the season, even though they're also statistically about the worst in many of he graded categories (like PK)?

Or Locker blaming all their problems on bad luck*, but when they get a lucky bounce right to Brouwer's stick on the Ovechkin PP goal the Caps "made their own luck"?

Locker is right up there with the bad homer color guys around the league. His job (and theirs) is to sell the team to the fans no matter how bad that team is because you don't get ratings or sell ads when the local color analyst says too many bad things about the home team.

Homer-based confirmation bias. That's the formula.

*(problems not also blamed on injuries and youth, every year)

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
This team keeps confusing us.

Liked Oleksy. Carlson's pass was a beauty, need to seem more of that. Ward has dried out after good start. I thought Nicky had pretty strong game.

fsnoles98

Mar 16, 2009
Don't deny the inevitable, this team still sucks. They played poorly most of the game and the Canes played worse then we did. 1st passes were mostly chip outs, they gave up 36 shots. Defense still struggles, offense still looks weak. I'm not one to put on the red and blue colored glasses after one win, STILL NOT SOLD.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
MJ has this look about him like once he starts to get it he will be a force. Still good for the boneheaded play or two, but I like what i've see for the most part since he came back. He has restored my patience with his development.

swimmer77

More PIM's than Points
Jun 22, 2010
in water
Well they came back and won after a sluggish start. It's about time they get desperate. And talk about a game of inches - saved by Ribs again. Neuvy held the fort down after a sluggish start. The young D did okay. And of course I hope Kundratek is okay. Real bummer for him after the year he's had and putting his name on the map.

Still think they needed all four points from Carolina to make a dent but anything can happen yet - I guess.

And props to Ovi for coming full steam off of the bench. LOL

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
This team keeps confusing us.

Liked Oleksy. Carlson's pass was a beauty, need to seem more of that. Ward has dried out after good start. I thought Nicky had pretty strong game.

Ward dried out because they stuck him on the 3rd line, whereas in the beginning of the season he was playing top minutes with Ribeiro. Last night was the first time in ages he's been with Ribeiro, and he got a good scoring chance driving the net.

Don't deny the inevitable, this team still sucks. They played poorly most of the game and the Canes played worse then we did. 1st passes were mostly chip outs, they gave up 36 shots. Defense still struggles, offense still looks weak. I'm not one to put on the red and blue colored glasses after one win, STILL NOT SOLD.

Regarding the chip outs - the Caps were doing that because the Canes were taking away the middle of the ice. You saw all the neutral zone turnovers in the 1st. Those were from forcing passes through the center. They adjusted and it worked.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I think people expect facing a guy in front, one of the Dman need to be taking that guy out. Is it the 66 vet, or the rookie more offensive guy

And Kundratek was standing right next to the net on the other side with Johansson standing right next to him, it was either of those guy's job to pick up the guy in front, while Schultz, the closest of those 3 to the guy with the puck on the boards closed him down.

It makes no sense for Kundratek or Johansson to come all the way around the net to close that guy down while Schultz takes Semin because they would have had to come right through Semin and Schultz, which would have slowed them down even more.

If Schultz was by himself then by all means he needs to stay with Semin but he wasn't.

But in general that is par for the course around here. If Schultz is on the ice when a goal is scored it is by default his fault and most don't even think about taking a second look to be sure.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Oates will probably go with the hot hand.

Frankly I hate the hot hand approach to handling goaltenders. They both need work and going with the hot hand has a tendency to run down that guy while the other gets colder and colder.

Look at your schedule for a couple weeks and figure out who may have a history of playing those teams well or not well and then divvy out the rest in a way so that both are getting some regular work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad