GDT: Caps vs Canes 12MAR13

coyote

Jul 21, 2002
Visit site
Yeah if Schultz hadn't been on for that one goal against things would have turned out completely differently. Though I guess that 3rd goal was the back breaker. The Caps were going to win until then.

Ward's -4 evening was just fine though...
Three or maybe four of those were not his fault, sometimes it happens that way, bad luck. The one that Holtby headed into the net definitely wasn't his fault.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I've been here for a while and I don't recall anyone defending Schultz ever.

I could be accused of defending Schultz but what I am really defending is that good or bad Schultz has very little to do with this team winning or losing.

How so many people can spend so much time complaining about a guy who doesn't matter one way or the other, outside of his cap hit maybe, I have no idea.

On the ice this team has lots and lots of problems. The play of Jeff Schultz is way down the list...

Liberati0n*

I could be accused of defending Schultz but what I am really defending is that good or bad Schultz has very little to do with this team winning or losing.

How so many people can spend so much time complaining about a guy who doesn't matter one way or the other, outside of his cap hit maybe, I have no idea.

On the ice this team has lots and lots of problems. The play of Jeff Schultz is way down the list...

Yup. It's not that Schultz should be defended; it's that the people who whine about him constantly should be criticized.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA

I agree that Jeff Schultz's performance on ice, especially his poor play the other evening, is not the reason for this team's current failures.

However, the fact that Jeff Schultz is still on the team and no less getting a sweater, is more about the failures of GMGM. 55 is the poster child for GMGM's failures. He epitomizes McPhee's performance in mishandling personnel. GMGM's overly joyed with 55's performance after his career year (+52) he's quick to reward him with a new and nice contract. When it's quite apparent, at least two seasons ago that Schultz is at best a 6/7 d-man and not an asset to the team's d-corps, GMGM sits their as Mark Twain would say "like an envelope without an address on it", which in many ways seems to be the same expression Schultz has most nights when he's on the ice.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
The constant running down of Schultz around here losing credibility IMO simply because the least little thing he might do wrong will garner at least 10 vitriolic posts while 90% of the things the rest of the team does wrong are given a pass or maybe result in a couple minor complaints.

This board loves it's whipping boys and ignores the poor play of the rest of the team for the most part. Why is that?

This team is where it is because the most important players on the team are not getting the job done on a regular basis. I know that would require people to start noticing that the play of their favorites is not up to snuff and that is never as enjoyable as pointing and laughing at the much despised peripheral figures but at least it would get to the root of the problems.

When Schultz's play starts costing this team games please let me know...

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Schultz was unfairly criticized this year (despite totally deserving it in years past) up until the last couple of games. Now, the complaints are justified again. He's been his old, awful self.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Alzner. I said I wanted him to shoot more. Not really criticism but could be misconstrued as such. Erskine and Fehr seem free from criticism this year.

But yeah its a small list. Its a long season and gaffes will be there from all players.

But back on point, Sarge is like the poster child for George's complacency, and failure to address the weaknesses on our team.

We need an all situation LD while all indications are that he is very happy with Sarge at 2.75.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Alzner for sure.

This guy hasn't laid a hit down in the last couple years.

His offensive play from the blue line is to either ring it around the boards or shoot it at the boards.

He has zero velocity on his shot from a standstill.

I can live with all those as long as he's uber solid and thats not always been the case this year.

BrooklynCapsFan

No more choking!
Oct 23, 2002
Brooklyn, New York
Alzner for sure.

This guy hasn't laid a hit down in the last couple years.

His offensive play from the blue line is to either ring it around the boards or shoot it at the boards.

He has zero velocity on his shot from a standstill.

I can live with all those as long as he's uber solid and thats not always been the case this year.

This is what happens when Jeff Schultz is your team's veteran mentor.

Monsterrain

Mar 4, 2013
Maryland
I agree that Jeff Schultz's performance on ice, especially his poor play the other evening, is not the reason for this team's current failures.

However, the fact that Jeff Schultz is still on the team and no less getting a sweater, is more about the failures of GMGM. 55 is the poster child for GMGM's failures. He epitomizes McPhee's performance in mishandling personnel. GMGM's overly joyed with 55's performance after his career year (+52) he's quick to reward him with a new and nice contract. When it's quite apparent, at least two seasons ago that Schultz is at best a 6/7 d-man and not an asset to the team's d-corps, GMGM sits their as Mark Twain would say "like an envelope without an address on it", which in many ways seems to be the same expression Schultz has most nights when he's on the ice.

Exactly right. He is the whiping boy because he is the biggest of the mistakes gmgm has made. I dont have the answer but i know 55 isnt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad