GDT: Caps vs Bruins 7pm ET Jan 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Don’t assume they’ll make the playoffs with the current trajectory.

Caps did what the NYR last year didn't. They had a hot early season start and that might sufficient for an 8th spot this year. With COVID protocols and the TDL still down the road, a lot can still happen for fringe teams. I think the Caps make it, but I'm worried they'll trade a young player for overrated crap.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Vanny may gave up some juicy rebounds and lack the athleticism of Sammy, but he doesn’t seem to lose his net the way Sammy does in a way too frequent basis
They're both good for 4 a game, who cares what style gets them there? Need to trade for a goalie. Vanacek is the odd man out.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Give me a competent special teams coach and all our other issues are pretty minor. Goalies can be acquired/get hot in the playoffs, penalties are called differently, and our 4th line is maybe currently being spread beyond their limit in ice time right now so they're flailing about.

I still like the sum of all the pieces I've seen this year. But it's inexcusable to have literally the greatest power play player of all time and to have one of the worst PP's in the league. Forsythe and the PP have been trash for a long time, I don't understand what they're waiting for, it's clear there isn't a "missing piece" here.

I think the head coach is just as much of an issue. I'm beginning to see why Lavi doesn't last long with teams.

racingmoose

Apr 11, 2016
Yes the guy who made countless big saves to keep the team in the game is definitely the problem. Jesus, the Vitek hate around here is insane

Agree. The hate is ridiculous and most of it isn't backed up with accurate information. An example is the rebound comments. He's actually among the top 10 goalies in fewest rebounds per save. He played a good game tonight.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
I think the head coach is just as much of an issue. I'm beginning to see why Lavi doesn't last long with teams.
Meh... I haven't seen that yet and I think it's too easy to hang L's on the head coach. I think Lavi is fine and HFBoards/Fan tendency when you hit a skid is to always blame the HC.

5v5 is actually pretty good which given the absolutely insane roster we've had to work with is actually a pretty great testament to the Lavi's system. Realistically we're picking up L's right now that we should've been getting in Nov/Dec when we were essentially rolling rookies out every night. The special teams is the clear issue right now.

Reactions: caps4cup

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I don't disagree but unless you have an amazing play on the puck, you just can't afford to put it between his legs like that. There are a lot of ways to draw that call that are gamesmanship but ultimately fair play (this was the, uh, most questionable of them but aside from that) and you don't need to give them an opportunity when you're that far down the ice.

I'm not saying it was a good call but it's very risky to try to make that play anyway

I think it’s an easy way to continue the bickering about the 4th line.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
If we get a new special teams coach, get Hagelin out of the lineup, and play cmm more - I think we are instantly improved - by a lot.

... and this isn’t even hard to do.
It would require some changes of thought on Lavi's part, though. Mac can deal Hagelin to take it out of his hands but I think this is really just who Lavi is fundamentally. They're not a good 5-on-5 team. There's not much of any method or design to their forechecking. Absent their two best D, and then Jensen, it's a wonder this was close. (Thanks to Ullmark.)

Reactions: hb12xchamps

Ovie's Neighbor

Jan 23, 2007
We can’t keep blaming the coach. At some point the players and GM have to take ownership too. Lavi is a little bit of a dinosaur to me and there are thing he does that drives me crazy but he is not the main problem. I have had concerns for a while with the roster construction but there is also a lack of effort right now that this team has often displayed with almost all coaches.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
Season low in shots this game. Guess the Sprong scratch didn’t help either.

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
We truly suck right now. BUT we are out Orlov, Carlson, Jensen, Oshie, Mantha, Sheary. We have zero scoring depth and we already knew our goaltending sucks. We just don’t have the talent at this point.
They were missing their top 3 defensemen and 4 of their top 9 forwards when healthy. Backstrom also clearly isn’t 100% either.

I thought they battled hard and played pretty solid defensively at 5v5, but generated next to nothing offensively, which is somewhat expected when you’re missing your 2 best offensive defensemen and 3 top 6 caliber wingers.

The real issue continues to be special teams and goaltending. They went 0/4 on the PP which has been atrocious all season and gave up 2 PK goals as well, which is slowly becoming a problem.

It’s good that they’re typically a solid 5v5 team, but you can’t out play and out score the opponent at 5v5 every single game. Not gonna happen, no matter how good a team is. And right now, the special teams and goaltending can’t even tip a close game in their favor, let alone steal games they don’t deserve to win.

Reactions: BallardEra

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
You have to agree- Mantha sucks lol
Depends on the metric you want to use. I actually think that even though he didn't perform to what we wanted last year in the playoffs, his ceiling as a playoff player is much higher than Vrana. Jake is streaky and Jake is soft, you can be one, but you can't be both. In a deep run a guy like Mantha will be worth more, I think that's partially the mindset behind his acquisition. Caps aren't in the business of caring too much of tagging up regular season stats, GMBM clearly pursues players with the mindset of how useful they will be in a 200 foot playoff game where the calls are different and the mistakes matter more. Jensen is a pretty solid example, he's always been good for us despite what some people might think, but holy shit does his game translate so well to the playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad