GDT: Caps vs Bruins 7pm ET Jan 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roshi

Feb 7, 2013
Finland
Yeah, special teams killed us tonight. Really bummed to lose it like this, nothing really going our way right now. W from this game would have been mood booster.

Anyways.. shake it off. 41 games to go!

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Agree. The hate is ridiculous and most of it isn't backed up with accurate information. An example is the rebound comments. He's actually among the top 10 goalies in fewest rebounds per save. He played a good game tonight.
He played fairly well for a BACKUP GOALIE! That can be a misleading stat. Caps are 2nd in shots per game allowed. All you need to do is the eye test. I still see VV give up rebounds on shots he should cover up.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
Agree. The hate is ridiculous and most of it isn't backed up with accurate information. An example is the rebound comments. He's actually among the top 10 goalies in fewest rebounds per save. He played a good game tonight.
Also what is VV stats on rebound goals scored on him and goals scored on him on clean shots.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009

Actually I don't hate any of our goalies, however the reality is we have deal with growing pains in the NHL. Indeed, this would have been a big blowout like last week if not for Vanny's saves. Most of us want one of them to step up and take charge of the net and we severely dislike the goalie coach, not the goalies.

Reactions: VaCaps Fan

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Actually I don't hate any of our goalies, however the reality is we have deal with growing pains in the NHL. Indeed, this would have been a big blowout like last week if not for Vanny's saves. Most of us want one of them to step up and take charge of the net and we severely dislike the goalie coach, not the goalies.
If anyone doubts the effect coaching can have on a goalie, think back to the Oates days with Holtby.

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles
If anyone doubts the effect coaching can have on a goalie, think back to the Oates days with Holtby.
Wasn't that the season Kolzig was the Caps goalie coach, as he took over for Artus Irbe leaving or something?

You had Mitch Korn(coached Hasek, Rinne, Holtby as some of his best pupils and there were lesser good ones as well) vs Scott Murray(who was plucked out of nowhere and to this day I still don't know what credentials he was hired on, I read something about he's innovative or something, but he's someone who can't seem to even teach the basics to his goalies!)? It's has always been a no brainer who was better, and common sense would have told BMac to hire another experienced goalie coach close to as possible to Korn. But no, he had to hire some no name assistant that didn't instill much from what Korn mentored to him!

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
41 games to go. Get healthy and fix the powerplay and we'll have as good of a shot in the playoffs as any of the other teams. Hopefully getting healthy will alleviate some of the powerplay struggles. No Carlson and Oshie is a massive hinderance right now. Sheary is also valuable on the 2nd unit. Forsythe will always hold back the true potential of our powerplay, but I think getting some of that talent back will help a lot.

Hopefully Sammy and VV get hot enough in the playoffs. And hopefully Mantha is back before the playoffs and gets up to speed in time for the playoffs because we're really going to need that forward depth.

Lotta hopefuls, I know. But I'm not dooming and glooming yet. It's clear they won't fire Forsythe at this point, for whatever reason. So I'm just going to ignore his presence because it frustrates me too much.

Hagelin, Kempny, and Leason are detriments right now. Kempny is worse than Cholo and Irwin. They need to stop sitting Sprong. AJF should get an extended look here, even if it burns an ELC year.

I don't know how Oshie will be when he's back but Carlson, Orlov, and Sheary returning shortly should help a lot.

Reactions: caps4cup

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
On the bright side, CMM got 11+ minutes and he didn't soil himself like some think he would.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
The Caps played on the road. Kempny, Schultz and TvR played 20 mins. Imagine that they lost? Moving on.

Was Jensen hurt or benched? I saw him look hurt after a hit but thought I saw him playing after that

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
The Caps played on the road. Kempny, Schultz and TvR played 20 mins. Imagine that they lost? Moving on.

Was Jensen hurt or benched? I saw him look hurt after a hit but thought I saw him playing after that
Left the game with an upper body injury. He was battling with Marchand quite a bit, and Marchand was being a dick and hitting him after the play as usual. Don’t know if any of those altercations were the reasoning but I believe he left in the 2nd period.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Bruins complaining in the media about the hit on Marchand.

No word on the injury I've seen, but guessing it's a dislocation or possibly broken collarbone. He said "I can't f***ing move it" when he got to the bench.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bruins complaining in the media about the hit on Marchand.

No word on the injury I've seen, but guessing it's a dislocation or possibly broken collarbone. He said "I can't f***ing move it" when he got to the bench.

Here was the quotes last night. Clearly a play to try to get supplemental discipline for Hathaway

Reactions: Rayquaza64

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Well, I mean, it was a blatantly dirty hit, and Hathaway deliberately walks the line fairly constantly. Is any of that remotely disputable?

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Well, I mean, it was a blatantly dirty hit, and Hathaway deliberately walks the line fairly constantly. Is any of that remotely disputable?

He got 2 min for interference, iirc. Could've easily been boarding. Not sure it merits much more beyond that.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
I don’t think Hathaway makes that hit if it was anyone other than Marchand. We saw how Brad was being a complete asshole all night before the hit. Jensen was effectively shutting him down every time Marchand carried the puck in the offensive zone and went at Jensen multiple times after the play (slashing, cross checking, flung Jensen’s stick halfway across the rink). My guess is Hathaway went for some retribution for Marchand being an asshole and made a shitty hit.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah it’s kind of shocking that they chose to suspend Orlov and not Hathaway. One was a hockey play gone wrong, the other looked predatory. Both resulted in injuries.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yeah it’s kind of shocking that they chose to suspend Orlov and not Hathaway. One was a hockey play gone wrong, the other looked predatory. Both resulted in injuries.

Nobody outside of Boston likes Marchand. Same reason Wilson keeps getting suspended and nobody ever pays the DOPS price for messing with him.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Lets be honest. Wilson gets 10+ games for kneeing like that. I think it was a reflex on Orlov's part but was a bad knee. Are we just giving McAvoy a pass for headhunting TvR?

Wilson's hit was legit. Charlie's was not

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Lets be honest. Wilson gets 10+ games for kneeing like that. I think it was a reflex on Orlov's part but was a bad knee. Are we just giving McAvoy a pass for headhunting TvR?

It was a borderline penalty at best. I don’t think McAvoy’s hit was suspension worthy.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

twabby

Mar 9, 2010

Orlov has certainly earned more benefit of the doubt.

I didn’t really see a replay of the McAvoy hit and how much of the head he hit. It didn’t result in an injury, otherwise I’m sure it would have received scrutiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad