Post-Game Talk: Caps vs Bruins 7pm ET Jan 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I'm not even mad. At least it was a 3 to 4 goal lead let down and lose in OT. Gives them no excuse with the press.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
They aren’t playing with much confidence. I think the Minnesota game damaged them. The indifference the coaching staff has toward fixing the PP (put someone else in charge) and fixing the 3x3 has damaged them. Maybe it’s about the war, not the battle, I don’t know. But awfully hard to see this team doing anything in the playoffs with this PP.

Reactions: IafrateOvie34

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
Boston a far superior team. Caps are a regressing to where most thought they would be this year. Middle of the road team that can put things together for spurts.

they don’t seem like they are actively coached. Just feels like lavy and the coaching staff did all their coaching at the start of the year and they just try to play the same way no matter the circumstances. Recipe for disaster.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
I’m sure we’ll hear about a player’s only meeting blah blah blah. Who cares. Been playing like losers for a while now. Blowing leads, getting owned on special teams, mounting no comeback efforts at all. I think i’m going to take a little midseason break from watching. Just pure frustration lately

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
I remember discussion about Wilson being next captain. Most said he will be, but I argued that he will hardly maintain his level of play to the moment Ovi retires and thus wont be next captain. I still wont bet on him getting the C. Maybe he's just injured now though...

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
I’m sure we’ll hear about a player’s only meeting blah blah blah. Who cares. Been playing like losers for a while now. Blowing leads, getting owned on special teams, mounting no comeback efforts at all. I think i’m going to take a little midseason break from watching. Just pure frustration lately
They’re 3-3-3 in their last 9 games with the 4th best xGF% in that time frame but 22nd best SH% and 30th best SV%. This is the kind of “slump” that I as a fan would rather see than them actually playing like shit and getting shitty results to match.

Look at Toronto, Colorado, or even Pittsburgh who started slow, then their PDO’s regressed to the norm and now they can’t lose. Nothing was ever “wrong” with them. They were consistently controlling play and they began to get the results to match those analytics.

I do think there are areas of concern (PP and goaltending), but slumps like this happen to good teams at points during the year. And as a fan, I don’t think there is reason to worry unless they actually start getting out played.

Baszie

Apr 29, 2021
5v5 everyone cap except for TVR had a higher xG% then the best Boston player. Didn’t feel like that at all.

Reactions: Neil Racki

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
My hope is that the Caps start working on issues they need to fix in February, when most teams are going on a long hiatus break because players aren't going to the Olympics anymore.

I really hope the whole organization takes that time to really reflect on who they are and what they want to accomplish this year. This is an absolute gift to them as this would never happen in any other year and they need to make the most of it.

Special teams? Goaltending? Coaching? Set plays? 3v3? Defense? Offense? In-house and team chemistry?

Work on them all. Take a short break/vacation and get back to work quickly.

February is going to be the Great Reset.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
They aren’t playing with much confidence. I think the Minnesota game damaged them. The indifference the coaching staff has toward fixing the PP (put someone else in charge) and fixing the 3x3 has damaged them. Maybe it’s about the war, not the battle, I don’t know. But awfully hard to see this team doing anything in the playoffs with this PP.
I think it was probably the Blues game where they dominated early and then got ran out of the building. I was surprised looking at a chart about a week ago that the Caps had the least amount of blowout losses to that point IINM. Since then they've lost twice in that fashion. Blowing another game in between didn't help but the more lopsided ones dent confidence and in-game feel more, esp. since they've been so unused to such situations. They were due but the goaltenders are unimpressive and again lacking stabilizing leadership (from Murray down). My guess is they buy their way out of it and add a veteran. A spiral could up the urgency but it's the relatively easy and convenient move to provide a jolt. It won't fix the PP or general plodding, low-impact style but it's the splashy predictable silver bullet move should they continue to slide.

The good news is there's no team outside of the playoff picture above .500 so they're pretty safe you'd think. But fundamentally, again, this is probably much closer to a middling team than an elite one. I'm not sure more stability in net necessarily changes that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad