Post-Game Talk: Caps v Hawks

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
That team has been "meh" before and ruined playoff dreams for a whole lot of fanbases.

It's not like personalities are an exact science or anything, but in a sense you're basically overpaying one man two million dollars to get .500M more out of ~60%+ of the roster. Captain Intangibles won't work voodoo magic and make pucks bounce over opposing sticks, or open a goalie's five hole, but he could easily be responsible for hours of extra work accumulated over the course of a season that inevitably pays off when it matters, because practice makes perfect.

Professional athletes who still actively despise losing are valuable commodities.

See? You're doing it too! So they won because of Captain Alleged Intangibles and not because of the team itself? :deadhorse(And its more like 3 million)

Good thing those intangibles were absent tonight or Holts wouldn't get a shutout.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
NHL Network please fire Scott Gomez...dump dollars for experienced analysts for goodness sakes.. this is crap.

Yah, love his tenacity too. Saying that once it was 3-0, hawks basically knew it was over and weren't gonna kill themselves to mount a comeback. 'Just one of those nights.' Yuck.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
Definitely was, he's been doing a little coasting since though. Which is okay, I'm not riding him or anything we're up 5-0 and he's the greatest player to ever wear a Capitals jersey. He deserves a rest ;)

Also nearly scored after a nice dangle past D-man in 3rd.

And set up 83 on final shift for a chance for the hatty.

He didn't play horribly. He just didn't have same touch as last few games.

Whatever.

Great game, great win by the team. Next up the b2b v. flyers and then Pens

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Definitely was, he's been doing a little coasting since though. Which is okay, I'm not riding him or anything we're up 5-0 and he's the greatest player to ever wear a Capitals jersey. He deserves a rest ;)

Not only that, but he was coming off a historic night against the Pens where he looked amazing. I hope he saves his juice for when we face them again next week ;)

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Scott Gomez just told the host on NHL Network when answering a question that he thought was asked before "I answered it 4 times I guess you weren't listening". OMG know other major league sport wiuld pu up with his bs..could not believe he said it and he was sweating majorly while talking.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
If we win a third President's Trophy, are we allowed to trade them in for one Cup? I would like to explore doing that

If Caps would have won 2 or so cups by now - with all the divisional titles, etc - this team would be amongst greatest dynasties.

I still cannot wait until we get that one Cup. One major part of my life will be complete lol

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
See? You're doing it too! So they won because of Captain Alleged Intangibles and not because of the team itself? :deadhorse(And its more like 3 million)

Good thing those intangibles were absent tonight or Holts wouldn't get a shutout.

No, they won because of the team, same as any other Stanley Cup Champion. They earned it, fair and square.

How would you say you earn a Stanley Cup, aside from winning 4 games out of 7 for a total of 16 victories in the NHL playoffs? It's never been due to the supernatural abilities of one man, Gretzky included.

You earn it by putting in the hours, practicing and optimizing your talents, and when the highest paid player in the league is diligently putting those in, dotting i's and crossing t's, you ought to be compelled to do the same. If he's demanding it of the other highest paid player in the league I don't think the rest of the roster has much room to hide, and as long as they're not actively trying to defect to other countries I'm pretty sure more practice is a good thing.

Even when they do defect, it still takes them a while and you get a "glory era" of athletic dominance. Plus, if you're lucky, a Kurt Russell movie.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Saw the Highlights:

1) Our top line is the best in the NHL right now. That second goal was a work of art.

2) Great to see scoring coming from so many different sources.

3) The East is becoming the new West. Check that, the Metro is becoming the new West. I have a feeling Chicago was a little overwhelmed by how ferocious the Caps were -- they don't get that kind of competition in the West.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
The last couple of weeks have shown that they can be good enough to win the Cup this year. So that's nice.

Now they just have to sustain this level of play (or close to it) and avoid major injuries for 5 months. Oh, and make the right adjustments in the POs when the going gets tough. And not screw things up at the TDL.

So they've basically already won.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
The last couple of weeks have shown that they can be good enough to win the Cup this year. So that's nice.

Now they just have to sustain this level of play (or close to it) and avoid major injuries for 5 months. Oh, and make the right adjustments in the POs when the going gets tough. And not screw things up at the TDL.

So they've basically already won.

:laugh:

Brian23

Dec 3, 2011
If Caps would have won 2 or so cups by now - with all the divisional titles, etc - this team would be amongst greatest dynasties.

I still cannot wait until we get that one Cup. One major part of my life will be complete lol

Man, I will be in DC when that happens. That's one of those things I cannot miss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad