Confirmed with Link: Caps trade for Mantha for Vrana, Panik, 2021 1st, 22 2nd

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I think the best outcome is a win-win for both teams which could very likely be the case

And I can’t believe I’m rooting for the caps now

As a side team the Caps are a blast. As a new Caps follower the first thing you need to learn is that Tom Wilson gets suspended for a strongly worked letter.

Reactions: Corby78

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Vrana and Mantha getting stabbed in the back by their own HF fanbases on the way out? Why I never!

Vrana had been solidly and repeatedly stabbed in the front before the trade. He got stabbed in the back on the way out because that was the side that was showing. Then he returned fire to provide proof that maybe the stabbing was justified. No? I know nothing about Mantha. Only what Bruce said about him. Does Bruce qualify as a stab in the back or the front?

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm still not quite clear what Vrana said in his Detroit presser that was so objectionable and justified a stabbing from the fanbase!

Stabbing is bad!

Really? He is a professional sports figure and has been coached for years on how to avoid saying something that could be taken negatively. If you didnt see his comments a slam against Laviolette and MacLellan, thats up to do. It has commonly been taken as that by Caps fans, Wings fans and neutrals.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Really? He is a professional sports figure and has been coached for years on how to avoid saying something that could be taken negatively. If you didnt see his comments a slam against Laviolette and MacLellan, thats up to do. It has commonly been taken as that by Caps fans, Wings fans and neutrals.

Yeah I agree it was directed at Laviolette and MacLellan. But what was so bad about what he said? He wants to be trusted and the Capitals didn’t trust him.

This is why hockey players are robots. Any time anyone says anything that isn’t close to boilerplate nonsense fans and the media make a mountain out of a molehill!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yeah I agree it was directed at Laviolette and MacLellan. But what was so bad about what he said? He wants to be trusted and the Capitals didn’t trust him.

This is why hockey players are robots. Any time anyone says anything that isn’t close to boilerplate nonsense fans and the media make a mountain out of a molehill!

Wants? Thinks he deserves is how I read it. Mountain? Molehill? He said what he said to get the reaction. He knew exactly how it would be taken. I am not making a mountain out of anything. His comments only confirmed the issues we thought were at play behind closed doors. He has clashed with all 3 of his NHL head coaches. Its an unflattering pattern. He stood up and backed it up.

You agree that the Caps didnt treat Vrana right or use him like he should have. Right?

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
You agree that the Caps didnt treat Vrana right or use him like he should have. Right?

Yes. I think he probably should have gotten more of an opportunity early in the year, and when he wasn’t getting the opportunity to play more despite playing well it likely demotivated him, which led to him playing poorly and getting less of an opportunity and spiraled from there.

I think the situation became untenable toward the end. It doesn’t mean he’s a diva, or he deserved to be stabbed in the back, or stabbed at all. It just means it was probably time for him to move on. And good on the team for letting him move on and getting IMO good value.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
I think Vrana should have told more about how he actually feels about Laviolette, Maclellan and the Caps as a whole. Really don't care what would be a public perception of that. I didn't like the player, like at all. But I'm here for entertainment. Throw some shit on the fan, lad, you don't have to put up with them anymore.

Reactions: koalabear9301

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I didn't have a problem with Vrana's comments but I noted them and I think they may demonstrate a lack of self-awareness. He feels untrusted... Well ya, kid, they asked you to be a responsible player and you didn't.

I don't consider that stabbing. And I hope he has success in Detroit or wherever. I also think, as I've said before, he's about to learn some lessons about how good he had it here. His teammates ain't gonna be this caliber; there's gonna be a lot of losing for a while yet, the expectations on him are going to actually be higher, and every time he sneezes there's gonna be fans and press asking questions.

Last edited:

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Vrana is coming in exchange for a star player and with expectations that he is great. You cant go 10 games without a goal and not be front page news.
Meh, it's Detroit. We're very much accustomed to players not scoring.

The question is if he winds up in the doghouse for his defensive play.

I watched it a few times when it happened and I don't recall thinking "wow, if only he'd pumped his legs". Mantha was close enough to use that tree trunk hockey stick to have a few whacks.

I guess he should've tackled the Flyer who intercepted the bad outlet pass? Or maybe use the Force to keep the puck from deflecting and beating the goaltender?

We have players who loaf. We know what loafing looks like. Maybe Wings fans have seen enough of it from Mantha that they're looking for it now. Because that play did not seem like anything to be mad about.
It's a different threshold. The Wings can't score so they have to be tighter defensively. Take a few strides, give him a nice crosscheck in the back or tie him up. Even from where he was at, lifting the stick would have been a lot more effective than a weak stick slash. The Wings are terrible passers, that errant pass should have been no surprise for him. That's how the team usually loses games.

I don't really care about the fan base, but if that's acceptable to Lav then Trotz will win again. There's a reason why the team won with Trotz.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Vrana and Mantha getting stabbed in the back by their own HF fanbases on the way out? Why I never!

I'm not sure any of the criticisms of Vrana post trade are any different than they were pre trade. Plenty of folks pointed out his disinterest in a 200 foot game or defense in general. Plenty of folks loved his goals, but hated most everything else about his game, such as his lack of board work ethic or defensive awareness, or his turnovers. This isn't stabbing him in the back, its consistent criticisms that are valid.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
you know, I loved Vrana and was probably higher on him than most in here, but I don't think I've ever seen the public opinion on a player raise as much as Vrana's after a trade before he even plays a game.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I didn't have a problem with Vrana's comments but I noted them and I think they may demonstrate a lack of self-awareness. He feels untrusted... Well ya, kid, they asked you to be a responsible player and you didn't.

I don't consider that stabbing. And I hope he has success in Detroit or wherever. I also think, as I've said before, he's about to learn some lessons about how good he had it here. His teammates ain't gonna be this caliber; there's gonna be a lot of losing for a while yet, the expectations on him are going to actually be higher, and every time he sneezes there's gonna be fans and press asking questions.

I think Vrana started to talk about how the Caps saw him, then bit his tongue and left a lot on the table there. Seemed to me he wanted to say a lot more but held back some. I didn't think his presser was too noteworthy myself, he wanted to be trusted, he clearly wasn't, but rather than expanding on that and putting blame for that on Lavi/BMac, he just moved on. I think he bit his tongue before saying something like "Lavi was wrong about me" or just as bad "Lavi was right about me but I will do better here in Detroit".

Only 12 games left for him to earn Stevie Y and Blash's trust. Go get em Jake!

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Yes. I think he probably should have gotten more of an opportunity early in the year, and when he wasn’t getting the opportunity to play more despite playing well it likely demotivated him, which led to him playing poorly and getting less of an opportunity and spiraled from there.

I think the situation became untenable toward the end. It doesn’t mean he’s a diva, or he deserved to be stabbed in the back, or stabbed at all. It just means it was probably time for him to move on. And good on the team for letting him move on and getting IMO good value.

Could it be that your definition of playing well and Laviolette and MacLellan's idea are different and there in lies the rub?

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
Vrana's comments just re-raise the issue of maturity and responsibility, and being a professional; same issues on repeat with multiple teams and coaches

He's either going to finally "get it" and take the next steps and become a better, more mature player (and professional), or he'll be in for a rude awakening, possibly being bounced around from team to team until he's damaged goods, or languish on a bottom-dweller that allows him to be a 60 foot player

Learn to be a more complete player and he might get 10 more years, stay the same and he might be out in < 5 years

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
Wow? I don’t think I’ve seen this much keyboard pounding over a player - player in the position vrana was - being traded since gartner.

makes me wish the internets were around back then. What a joy that would have been.

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'm not sure any of the criticisms of Vrana post trade are any different than they were pre trade. Plenty of folks pointed out his disinterest in a 200 foot game or defense in general. Plenty of folks loved his goals, but hated most everything else about his game, such as his lack of board work ethic or defensive awareness, or his turnovers. This isn't stabbing him in the back, its consistent criticisms that are valid.

I find the criticisms calling him a diva are a bit much and not really valid.

I think hyperanalyzing his press conference, especially one right after an emotional moment in his career and life, is a bit over the top as well. I think calling him self unaware for saying he was shocked he got traded is silly because it was a shocking trade. Who really had him being dealt this TDL?

Last edited:

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
I hope Vrana performs well for Detroit in the remaining games this season to help his arbitration/RFA value come the off season and eat up some of the Red Wings cap space.

LesDiablesRouges

Feb 9, 2019
Mantha is and will be such a better player for us than Vrana. The price is justified. I am going to speak it into existence. Everyone - or the majority of our fanbase - will start to come around, soon enough, haha.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I find the criticisms calling him a diva are a bit much and not really valid.

I think hyperanalyzing a press conference, especially one right after an emotional moment in his life, is a bit over the top as well. I think calling him self unaware for saying he was shocked he got traded is silly because it was a shocking trade.

A player who thinks he's above the demands of other players and is sensitive to being coached or corrected is practically the definition of "diva".

1b

upload_2021-4-15_13-31-10.png

references definition 2 below
'
upload_2021-4-15_13-31-28.png

So what do you think "diva" means in sports then?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad