Status
Not open for further replies.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Posting a vid will probably cause the wobbly HF servers to go limp but here you go

I watched 2:30.....enough seen....SOLD. Check please!

Yeah um the 2nd play Mantha shows more grit and skill than Vrana has ever shown in his life. Drives to the net and scores while being taken down, Vrana literally never even tried to do that.

Last edited:

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He shoots left and has experience on both wings, so very much like Burakovsky in that sense. Definitely adds some flexibility. Given Laviolette’s preference recently for Oshie with Eller and to play Backstrom or Kuzy with Sheary and Sprong, I’m thinking there’s a good chance we’ll see

Ovi - Kuzy - Wilson
Mantha - Backstrom - Sprong
Sheary - Eller - Oshie

The question is whether Sprong can play LW, and whether he’s going to sit Sprong for Raffl.

Keep in mind that Laviolette has said repeatedly that spreading the skill was a way to manage minutes with the compressed schedule.

Reactions: HecticGlow

illpucks

May 26, 2011
I was skeptical earlier, but now I'm 100% convinced you're trolling. Nice one, almost had me.
I'm not. I'm a big Ovi fan but I'm saying I'm not a fan of the team ditching their talent pool (and their best young player) for a massive contract for an aging star. This Vrana trade is pissing me off.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
All these folks raving about Mantha's size, it means nothing of you don't have a physical game. Judging from Red Wing fans,
he doesn't.

illicit

Jul 28, 2011
Vancouver
I'm not. I'm a big Ovi fan but I'm saying I'm not a fan of the team ditching their talent pool (and their best young player) for a massive contract for an aging star. This Vrana trade is pissing me off.

Just see how it plays out man. Besides, no point in getting mad about something you have no control over.

Reactions: AussieCapsFan

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Yeah um the 2nd play Mantha shows more grit and skill than Vrana has ever shown in his life. Drives to the net and scores while being taken down, Vrana literally never even tried to do that.
This isn't 2012 and the Kings aren't running the NHL. Speed, skill and squeaky clean players are what works today. These players might have worked well before but not now.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
LOL I liked Vrana as much as the next guy, but why are y'all acting like he was a top flight prospect like McMichael or he would one day be a top line forward.

Jakub Vrana is 25 years old, by the end of this season he will have played 300 NHL games. He has never scored over 25 goals and only broken 50 points once. I think this is kind of just who he his. I'm flabbergasted by the people talking about him as if we gave up on him last than 82 games into his NHL career.

Mantha is 26 years old, he just passed 300 GP two games ago. He is essentially a consistent 47-48ish point player, he too has only scored 25 goals once.

Statistically these guys are a push more or less, the big difference seems to be the size in Mantha, the supposed defensive skill (although DET fans seem to disagree), and the consistency. Mantha, when healthy, seems to be a much more known quantity.

If you really want to get technical I think Mantha has a slightly higher point per game average, but guys, they're really not all that different in terms of offense.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

illpucks

May 26, 2011
There is a trade board thread for people who aren't caps fans
Ok, and you are free to post there if you want. You can't judge who is a fan or who isn't. I'm saying the current NHL is not the same as Hawks/Kings SC era. So the players we select should be different.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
Line mates, line mates, line mates.
I wouldn't say linemates, but... they're just simple plays. Almost every goal there, Vrana is just faster or quicker than the players around him and most of them are on the rush/breakaway opportunities. Like Burakovsky before him, they don't really seem to think as fast as their body moves and it makes them look like they're not trying, but I'm starting to think he's just playing in fog. Like, he's not smart enough (for the style they want to play) to effectively use his speed because he's not sure when that is, and then when the haze clears and there's a loose puck at the blue line he finally knows what to do and takes off like a rocket ship. Puck squeaks to him and he's got a clear as day slapper, he takes it, but he's not really creating those chances so much as happening upon them.

Mantha's reel at least has a more dynamic and Capitals-friendly skillset, with his corner work and ability to peel off after passing and find soft spots, or lower his shoulder and drive for scoring chances. I'm intrigued to see what he becomes here.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If you really want to get technical I think Mantha has a slightly higher point per game average, but guys, they're really not all that different in terms of offense.

Sure if you only read box scores. The way Vrana scores, vs the way Mantha scores, is night and day different. One translates to the playoffs, one doesn't.

Reactions: Calicaps

illpucks

May 26, 2011
The part you said vrana was our best player
I mean are you looking for better grammar and use 'was' instead or what?

Vrana was the Caps best player. Or at least was ontrack to become the Caps best player.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Vrana has a breakaway artist had pretty bad moves. It was a shame he couldnt pick up some better moves from someone like Oshie. Mantha is starting to grow on me but that overpayment hurts.

Skrudland2Lomakin

Jan 1, 2011
Vrana was the best player on the Caps.
I genuinely want to watch illpucks and Francois power rank the Capitals roster.

I'm still giddy over Francois telling us that Boyd was a better center than Backstrom.

I mean, I hear ya fellas, everyone has players they're irrationally attached to. I myself have a Michael Latta sweater in the closet as we speak and it's sitting next to my Djoos. I'm the guy who would scream from the rafters "Give Matt Bradley more ice time!". And I have signed Steve Konowalchuck stick because as a kid I believed ol' Kono was going to break out any day now.

Shit, even as a fan base we retired Dale Hunter's jersey because was all collectively decided, "it's pretty cool how that guy smashed faces but also scored."

So I get the blind allegiance...

but like fellas...

I mean... like... fellas...

come on.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Its like when the Nats traded for Adam Eaton, You know they overpaid by a ton but it won them a ring in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad