Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
If he wins national championship, i'd think he's 99% joining us if we are in the Playoffs. He has been NHL-ready this entire season. He has had a historical season. If he can leave as a champion then he basically has nothing left to accomplish there.

There is a reason why Perreault will be back. He's not ready. Smith is ready but his team is a dumpster fire, so he has atleast a legit reason. Leonard is going to think about his own career and nothing suggests he should stay there if they win, so i doubt he will.

Reactions: um

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
No chance a NHL pro ready player hangs around college beer league 3 extra years when the highest goal is sitting there waiting.
Yeah I don’t get the mindset that these guys want to go back to school and delay their ultimate dream. If they’re ready…

This dude is ready…

The guys that ARE wired that way, that they want to defer a Pro career to hang with buddies in college…probably not the guys we want.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
Yeah I don’t get the mindset that these guys want to go back to school and delay their ultimate dream. If they’re ready…

This dude is ready…

The guys that ARE wired that way, that they want to defer a Pro career to hang with buddies in college…probably not the guys we want.

Yep. Get paid and take the summer courses and offtime to finish degree program. So many options now unlike in the past. He already has the work ethic and discipline.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
No chance a NHL pro ready player hangs around college beer league 3 extra years when the highest goal is sitting there waiting.

This. It seems anyone who is good enough to be a first round pick, probably grew up dreaming of playing in the NHL and winning a Stanley Cup since they were a little kid. Not too many of them will delay achieving their life long dream for another year of classes and beers. A few will, because confidence in their ability to play in the NHL is important, but I doubt Lenny lacks any confidence.

Regardless, whatever he decides, its his choice, not ours.. duh :D

Reactions: Calicaps

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
I wouldn't sacrifice it if my options were to keep doing that or go do something else, like all of those other 3-4 year athletes who obviously keep doing it because why not and they've got degrees to finish? Sounds like fun.
The majority oif sophomores-seniors on BC's roster are NHL draftees. They're not necessarily getting invites from NHL teams straight away like Leonard s, but it's a mischaracterization to act like everyone else on teams like that are just there because they don't have other options. They all chose to go to college rather than the CHL and some are choosing to stay there rather than go to the AHL. The NCAA isn't some backwater anymore.

I would probably sacrifice it if my alternative is a professional NHL career. You can clearly party plenty, big earnings early is the name of any game where you can invest over your career, and there's simply no reason to stay one of the biggest fish in a place you're rapidly outgrowing.
Ryan Leonard has been playing with Smith and Perrault for most of his conscious life at this point. He's living in his home state. He's one of the big men on campus. Living the NHL life with all of the travel and slog involved and occasionally going out in Dupont Circle isn't the same thing. The money might still be enough of a motivator, but maybe a 19 year old doesn't view himself as a corporation with a fiduciary duty to maximize profits.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
I definitely think that if BC wins a National Championship this year, Lenny is outta there. If they don't, then I could see them rolling it back one more year to try and achieve that missed goal.

But also, I am eager to see how the Caps manage him once he does turn pro. He's totally ready, but he's also still a teenager (which is insane). They've been patient with their young guys and that patience is paying dividends. I hope they stay the course and bring Lenny along with appropriate patience.

Last edited:

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
This. It seems anyone who is good enough to be a first round pick, probably grew up dreaming of playing in the NHL and winning a Stanley Cup since they were a little kid. Not too many of them will delay achieving their life long dream for another year of classes and beers. A few will, because confidence in their ability to play in the NHL is important, but I doubt Lenny lacks any confidence.
Leonard is on record talking about how as a kid from Amherst, Massachusetts, he always dreamed of going to a college in Boston to play hockey. I have no doubt that he also dreamed of playing for a Stanely Cup, but NHL fans who dismiss the NCAA as merely a stepping stone and/or as a beer league are demonstrating an bias that only prioritizes their favorite team's best interests.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Leonard is on record talking about how as a kid from Amherst, Massachusetts, he always dreamed of going to a college in Boston to play hockey. I have no doubt that he also dreamed of playing for a Stanely Cup, but NHL fans who dismiss the NCAA as merely a stepping stone and/or as a beer league are demonstrating an bias that only prioritizes their favorite team's best interests.

Its definitely not a beer league, but it is a stepping stone for any NHL caliber player. When a player joins BC, he says "I always dreamed of playing for BC". When he joins the NHL he then says "I always dreamed of playing in the NHL". When he raises the Stanley Cup, what do we imagine he's going to say??? "I always dreamed of playing college hockey"???

Point is, when your goals are in reach, most people usually grab them. Most, not everyone, but most. Delaying is rare. It doesn't make it a bad choice though. Its deeply personal.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Its definitely not a beer league, but it is a stepping stone for any NHL caliber player. When a player joins BC, he says "I always dreamed of playing for BC". When he joins the NHL he then says "I always dreamed of playing in the NHL". When he raises the Stanley Cup, what do we imagine he's going to say??? "I always dreamed of playing college hockey"???

Point is, when your goals are in reach, most people usually grab them. Most, not everyone, but most. Delaying is rare. It doesn't make it a bad choice though. Its deeply personal.
My only contention in these discussions is to point out that college hockey is different now than it has been historically due to the talent, money, and coverage that are there now as not before. 10 years ago, you couldn't say that most of the top NHL prospects were in the NCAA and getting paid via NIL with their games on ESPN+. That might result in some decisions by teenagers that NHL fans don't expect.

Gauthier went back a second year for reasons unknown, and now he's on the cusp of winning the Hobey Baker and NCAA championship and is far more of a 200-ft player than he was last year. Leonard can literally see that firsthand since Cutter is on his team. I don't pretend to know what Ryan Leonard's foremost ambitions are, but I do hope he's given the leeway to make his own decision.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC

How about just win the champ this weekend then figure it out :)

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
My only contention in these discussions is to point out that college hockey is different now than it has been historically due to the talent, money, and coverage that are there now as not before. 10 years ago, you couldn't say that most of the top NHL prospects were in the NCAA and getting paid via NIL with their games on ESPN+. That might result in some decisions by teenagers that NHL fans don't expect.

Gauthier went back a second year for reasons unknown, and now he's on the cusp of winning the Hobey Baker and NCAA championship and is far more of a 200-ft player than he was last year. Leonard can literally see that firsthand since Cutter is on his team. I don't pretend to know what Ryan Leonard's foremost ambitions are, but I do hope he's given the leeway to make his own decision.
Yes the college game has changed since I've been a player. And I have no idea what players are getting in NIL money. But its hard to see top prospects staying in school another year when you have a Team USA U20 JR roster spot and a NHL one waiting for you.

Like Dave said its his choice, and they all seem pretty good for a young hockey player.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Sounds like you want him to stay. Hence this thread long diatribe about the benefits of college hockey.

Hey, I love college hockey. Went to UNH, saw most every home game at the old Snively Arena. Heck I saw quite a few games at Conte Forum as well (and at BU, Northeastern, Providence, Maine, etc etc).

Long live Hockey East, and screw BC, they suck balls. I want Leonard to leave, as a Caps fan.

AND I want Leonard to leave, and an Anti-BC fan

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
Sounds like you want him to stay. Hence this thread long diatribe about the benefits of college hockey.

Hey, I love college hockey. Went to UNH, saw most every home game at the old Snively Arena. Heck I saw quite a few games at Conte Forum as well (and at BU, Northeastern, Providence, Maine, etc etc).

Long live Hockey East, and screw BC, they suck balls. I want Leonard to leave, as a Caps fan.

AND I want Leonard to leave, and an Anti-BC fan
Then you know it's not lip service for a kid from Amherst to say that playing in Hockey East is a dream. I grew up in Montgomery County, and youth hockey isn't remotely the same in a place like the DMV as it is in Boston/Mass/New England. For Leonard, winning an NCAA title could be almost as much of a lifelong goal as competing for a Stanley Cup.

I suppose I just feel compelled to chime into these conversations that assume it's a given that prospects will make the jump since I'm not sure people realize how much NCAA hockey is growing/changing.

And I'm sorry to break this one to you, but BC and its incoming class with potential 2025 1OA James Hagens will be fine with or without Leonard :cool:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The majority oif sophomores-seniors on BC's roster are NHL draftees. They're not necessarily getting invites from NHL teams straight away like Leonard s, but it's a mischaracterization to act like everyone else on teams like that are just there because they don't have other options. They all chose to go to college rather than the CHL and some are choosing to stay there rather than go to the AHL. The NCAA isn't some backwater anymore.

Ryan Leonard has been playing with Smith and Perrault for most of his conscious life at this point. He's living in his home state. He's one of the big men on campus. Living the NHL life with all of the travel and slog involved and occasionally going out in Dupont Circle isn't the same thing. The money might still be enough of a motivator, but maybe a 19 year old doesn't view himself as a corporation with a fiduciary duty to maximize profits.
1712082555753.gif

Big man on campus, or big man in the NHL?

I definitely think that if BC wins a National Championship this year, Lenny is outta there. If they don't, then I could see them rolling it back one more year to try and achieve that missed goal.

But also, I am eager to see how the Caps manage him once he does turn pro. He's totally ready, but he's also still a teenager (which is insane). They've been patient with their young guys and that patience is paying dividends. I hope they stay the course and bring Lenny along with appropriate patience.
I think it’s the only thing that keeps him from going pro…..if they don’t win, but all decide to run it back. Not this college life stuff.

Reactions: Calicaps

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I assume if Ryan Leonard wanted to join the Caps for the playoffs they would let him (because why wouldn't they with the minutes Patches plays) and I assume he'll want to (because why wouldn't he as a competitor, assuming he's planning on leaving)

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I’m not sure how this turned into college hockey is beer league. It is the opposite. For Americans (and international) the college path is now better than juniors. And you can make it to the NHL quicker. That is why you see a lot of high draft picks going to college versus juniors. The college game is much more suited to the NHL than say the Q.

But top talent like Owen Powers is going to play one year of college and go pro versus one year of juniors. But just like juniors or AHL, for most it is more than just one year. It takes 2, 3, 4 years. And remember, most of these college kids also played juniors in the NAHL or USHL.

We always had a saying about the path… there is no such thing as an 18 year old freshman. Even in the ACHA most of the freshman are 20 after chasing a year or two of juniors.

If your goal is to be in the NHL, you get there as fast as you can. The lifespan is too short to drag it out IF you are good enough to go.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
What about Cristall? If Kelowna bows out early is he eligible to join Hershey for their playoffs or is he age-prohibited?
He cannot join the AHL. If on reserve list for caps he could play. Cristal isn’t even eligible to play in the AHL next year because he is an 05 birth year. he’ll be in juniors again. Hate that rule!

Reactions: Silky mitts

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
He cannot join the AHL. If on reserve list for caps he could play. Cristal isn’t even eligible to play in the AHL next year because he is an 05 birth year. he’ll be in juniors again. Hate that rule!
Oh did not know that but probably not a bad thing don't think he has the frame/speed yet for the AHL. Dev. Camp this summer always a good check point to see where draftees are at.

Reactions: DWGie26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad