Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 2 - 2021-22

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
The several hundred thousand dollars a year might be something to consider, too.
These guys get paid in college now via NIL. If you go on Ryan Leonard's IG, the two most recent posts are brand sponsorships with him, Smith, and Perrault. Actually the three of them together as a trio likely command more attention from sponsors. I know Will Smith has a deal with Chipotle. So it's not necessarily NHL money, but it's a different world than the history of poor/starving college students.

Leonard has absolutely looked the most ready between him, Smith, and Perrault based on the two tournament games so far. He has carried that line in the two knockout rounds. But if both of his boys decide to run it back, he might want to do the same.

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
These guys get paid in college now via NIL. If you go on Ryan Leonard's IG, the two most recent posts are brand sponsorships with him, Smith, and Perrault. Actually the three of them together as a trio likely command more attention from sponsors. I know Will Smith has a deal with Chipotle. So it's not necessarily NHL money, but it's a different world than the history of poor/starving college students.

Leonard has absolutely looked the most ready between him, Smith, and Perrault based on the two tournament games so far. He has carried that line in the two knockout rounds. But if both of his boys decide to run it back, he might want to do the same.
I think all three are in different situations.

Smith should stay away from SJ for one more year. Perrault likely wouldn’t play much in NY.

Leonard could be an immediate impact.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024

Smith should stay away from SJ for one more year. Perrault likely wouldn’t play much in NY.

I don't disagree with this analysis in general. But it's a very fan/NHL centric perspective. Ryan Leonard the teenager might want to hang out with his lifelong buddies for one last year and either try to win a title or run it back for a repeat. With the money/talent now in the NCAA, I think elite players wanting to stay the extra year could become a reality. You don't have to look much further than this BC team itself/Cutter Gauthier for an example of a player who is "NHL ready" coming back for another year. And he's a better prospect for it too.

Reactions: MileHighCapsFan

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013

That's pretty cool. I'm sure the money from those deals is way better than some other "worked my way through college" paychecks. But there will be deals for him when he gets to DC above and beyond his entry level contract, as well.

In the end, I'd be supportive of whatever he decides, but I can't wait for him to arrive here.

Reactions: Wieters

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Perreault needs one or two more seasons to mature physically and work on his speed. Don't get me wrong can't teach that hockey sense. Don't think he would fare well at the AHL even after one more season at BC.

I have no idea what kind of coverage system BC has but Smith seems to always be the first forechecker so if they do cause a turnover in the neutral zone or in their D zone always seems like it is Leonard who is the defensively responsible why Smith/Perreault are going full on O. I know folks hat +/- but I believe Leonard leads BC in this this season.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
Perreault needs one or two more seasons to mature physically and work on his speed. Don't get me wrong can't teach that hockey sense. Don't think he would fare well at the AHL even after one more season at BC.

I have no idea what kind of coverage system BC has but Smith seems to always be the first forechecker so if they do cause a turnover in the neutral zone or in their D zone always seems like it is Leonard who is the defensively responsible why Smith/Perreault are going full on O. I know folks hat +/- but I believe Leonard leads BC in this this season.

Yup, +34

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I think there has been too much hype around lumping all three together. They all go or they all stay. As others mentioned, they have separated themselves in terms of readiness for pro hockey.

On the money side… these are aspiring pro athletes. They are going to do what best furthers their professional careers and ability to earn. For Leonard, that is playing in the NHL and getting paid a full salary. Caps would be wise to give him a one-way contract if that is what it takes to turn him pro since there is a roster spot for him now. Might be different next year if we have to go sign Free Agents. Timing for Leonard is as good as it gets right now.

The others aren’t in that same situation either because of their NHL team roster situation, their skills, or both. for Perrault and Smith, if given the choice of AHL or BC, I’d take BC all day long. Leonard situation is different.

In terms of Leonard playing this year… maybe. He would benefit greatly by being around the team, participating in practice, and learning from the pros. He doesn’t need to be forced in immmediately. Let that come organically.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
i don’t think he’d need to sign with the caps for this, but i think it would be great for him to be a black ace for the hershey run this year at the very least

Lou Sassole

Oct 15, 2020

Yup, and Perreault and Smith are best friends and roommates. Leonard is their friend, but he hangs with the goalie Fowler a lot too. So, I think Lenny will make his own decision after the Frozen 4. If they win, I think he turns pro.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
i don’t think he’d need to sign with the caps for this, but i think it would be great for him to be a black ace for the hershey run this year at the very least
He has played a full season. He will benefit more by being around the caps and practicing with them than he will playing in Hershey. If Caps go out and Bears are still playing, then sure. He’d go down with Lappy and Miro so he’d have some people he already spent some time with.

Wieters

Mar 2, 2024
All fair points. We're all just speculating. My only contention is that the landscape of NCAA hockey is changing a bit in the sense that it's a much better developmental league than it was before and there is now some money available to players at certain programs. This will result in some teenagers, who NHL fans think are locks to leave, decide that they would simply prefer to stay and train for another year in their home state, with their friends, and in a college atmosphere. Whether that's Ryan Leonard or not is to be determined, but it's not as straightforward of a calculus as it once might have been.

Edit: so that it doesn't seem like I'm just inventing this narrative, here's a tweet from Ryan Whitney today endorsing the idea that kids should stay an extra year in college. Just an emerging narrative that I think is worth keeping an eye on.

Last edited:

Kuz

May 11, 2015
All up to Leonard. If he wants NHL then I would more than welcome him. If he wants another year in college thats also fine. He should just do what he wants if its college or NHL doesnt matter he will develop fine either way.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
frodo-gandalf-return-of-the-king-the-undying-lands-edited-1.jpg

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
All fair points. We're all just speculating. My only contention is that the landscape of NCAA hockey is changing a bit in the sense that it's a much better developmental league than it was before and there is now some money available to players at certain programs. This will result in some teenagers, who NHL fans think are locks to leave, decide that they would simply prefer to stay and train for another year in their home state, with their friends, and in a college atmosphere. Whether that's Ryan Leonard or not is to be determined, but it's not as straightforward of a calculus as it once might have been.

Edit: so that it doesn't seem like I'm just inventing this narrative, here's a tweet from Ryan Whitney today endorsing the idea that kids should stay an extra year in college. Just an emerging narrative that I think is worth keeping an eye on.
I personally wouldn’t sacrifice a year of college for damn near anything (let alone 3 years). The money and the pros will be there waiting. I’d want to enjoy partying and playing college hockey with my buddies as long as possible. But that’s just me.

For the Caps sake, I of course hope Lenny gets to DC sooner. Also, I’m sticking to my theory that he is one of Oshie’s kids, all grown up, that traveled back in time to play with his dad. So, there’s that mind blowing angle to consider, lol.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I personally wouldn’t sacrifice a year of college for damn near anything (let alone 3 years). The money and the pros will be there waiting. I’d want to enjoy partying and playing college hockey with my buddies as long as possible. But that’s just me.

For the Caps sake, I of course hope Lenny gets to DC sooner. Also, I’m sticking to my theory that he is one of Oshie’s kids, all grown up, that traveled back in time to play with his dad. So, there’s that mind blowing angle to consider, lol.
No chance a NHL pro ready player hangs around college beer league 3 extra years when the highest goal is sitting there waiting.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009

I wouldn't sacrifice it if my options were to keep doing that or go do something else, like all of those other 3-4 year athletes who obviously keep doing it because why not and they've got degrees to finish? Sounds like fun.

I would probably sacrifice it if my alternative is a professional NHL career. You can clearly party plenty, big earnings early is the name of any game where you can invest over your career, and there's simply no reason to stay one of the biggest fish in a place you're rapidly outgrowing. The target on your back only gets bigger, you can still get concussed or otherwise injured no matter how good you are, and you receive only diminishing returns (and, if doing it for your reasons, risk picking up some bad professional habits)

I don't see a lot of guys pining miserably for the college years they lost when they're in the NFL or NBA, maybe some really peripheral players who actually lost out on opportunity by betting on themselves early and losing... but I'm betting a top 10 pick isn't very often that guy.

Hell, be bad enough early enough and you can just go back to college with your ELC money and be young enough to do all that other college stuff anyway. Can even just... pick a new sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedRocking

Random schmoe

Random fan with their own opinions
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2019
On the money side… these are aspiring pro athletes. They are going to do what best furthers their professional careers and ability to earn. For Leonard, that is playing in the NHL and getting paid a full salary. Caps would be wise to give him a one-way contract if that is what it takes to turn him pro since there is a roster spot for him now.
For the record, I don't think they CAN give him a one-way contract. I believe the only contract he can sign is an ELC which is limited in the CBA to two-way. But they can offer him Signing and Performance up to a max AAV of $4,450,000, and I believe they can also make the AHL side of the contract pretty high, relatively.

I personally think he's "ready", skill and physically, to make his next developmental step in Pro hockey. I think he's pretty much proven everything he can in college hockey considering he's a freshman, unless he wanted to try to win a Hobey Baker or break all-time records. Pride and ambition can be powerful drivers, even if they aren't the "smartest" move for the long-term earnings and role.

Going to be negative nancy for a second here ...
Everything he does, his breadth and depth of skills, screams TJ Oshie. He's good defensively, offensively, good passer, good shooter, good speed, physical, a leader.

I personally won't be happy if that's "all" he ends up being. I love Oshie as much as the next person, but he's only paced for >30 goals per 82 games three times in his career. Only once (2016-17) has he actually HIT 30 goals. He's also never been, or even been on pace for, point per game in his career. HIs highest pace was for 67 points in an 82 game season, the same 2016-17 one.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Leonard "only" hits the Oshie stats.

But on the other hand ... that's a pretty good outcome, in a vacuum. I guess I'm just trying to keep subjective "feelings" in check on the kid.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
For the record, I don't think they CAN give him a one-way contract. I believe the only contract he can sign is an ELC which is limited in the CBA to two-way. But they can offer him Signing and Performance up to a max AAV of $4,450,000, and I believe they can also make the AHL side of the contract pretty high, relatively.
I think you are probably correct here.

One of the points i was making is that you look at both college option and NHL (not AHL) if you are an NCAA player. If you need to develop, I would do it in NCAA versus AHL in today’s world. He is ready. On NHL side, Caps are either going to slot him in or move forward with Free Agent(s). So the path is now for him. If he waits, he could face more competition to play in the NHL on the Caps. He should also consider he gets to play with OV for two years and there is value there. Caps are also a world class organization.

In no world am i staying in college JUST to hang and party with my boys. There is plenty of that in NHL.

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US

I personally think he's "ready", skill and physically, to make his next developmental step in Pro hockey. I think he's pretty much proven everything he can in college hockey considering he's a freshman, unless he wanted to try to win a Hobey Baker or break all-time records. Pride and ambition can be powerful drivers, even if they aren't the "smartest" move for the long-term earnings and role.

Going to be negative nancy for a second here ...
Everything he does, his breadth and depth of skills, screams TJ Oshie. He's good defensively, offensively, good passer, good shooter, good speed, physical, a leader.

I personally won't be happy if that's "all" he ends up being. I love Oshie as much as the next person, but he's only paced for >30 goals per 82 games three times in his career. Only once (2016-17) has he actually HIT 30 goals. He's also never been, or even been on pace for, point per game in his career. HIs highest pace was for 67 points in an 82 game season, the same 2016-17 one.

I'd be pretty disappointed if Leonard "only" hits the Oshie stats.

But on the other hand ... that's a pretty good outcome, in a vacuum. I guess I'm just trying to keep subjective "feelings" in check on the kid.
Leonard was the 8th overall pick of the 2023 NHL draft. 8th overall picks are generally not superstars. Ignoring the last few years as too soon:

2019: Philip Broberg
2018: Adam Boqvist
2017: Casey Mittelstadt
2016: Alex Nylander
2015: Zach Werenski

Against that standard, I'd put Oshie as arguably first (with Werenski making for the arguably). Of course, you go back one year further, and you get William Nylander (but I digress).

Having said that, you are underrating Oshie. Since he entered the league in 08-09, Oshie is 34th in goals and 47th in points. If you consider that there are 96 first line forwards in the NHL, that squarely puts Oshie consistently on the top half of first line productivity.

For what it's worth, Leonard's year has me hoping he can exceed Oshie's numbers in the NHL but reaching Oshie's level would still be an incredibly good result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad