Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
Richmond is a player development guy so naturally he's going to gravitate most toward the most refined player. The big thing IMO for Fehervary will be how he handles physical play in his own end. He's more physically mature than Alexeyev but Alexeyev also has the advantage in familiarity with the smaller rink. Is he really ready for that at a high level? If not it'll be an area he'll need to work on in Hershey with everyone else. I can see MF playing the most out of anyone in the system this season but longer-term I'm not sold yet on him being the best. He's quietly very steady and no doubt has top 4 upside but if he's not as solid a shutdown defender as a mature Alexeyev will he bring a higher pace or more offense? A good discussion to kick around but IMO the main thing MF has on Alexeyev is physical maturity and even there Alexeyev with his larger frame could pretty well negate it.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Fever and Vrana are the two fastest players in the organization for sure.

As to who is better between AA and MF, they are very different players. Fever is the quintessential puck moving dman. At dev camp he jumped into the play like a madman, can't wait to see him this weekend. In all the drills they were joined at the hip and you could see they were becoming fast friends.

AA is more of a heady player, he will try things that someone his age normally wouldn't even think about. He is also not afraid to jump into the play when it is called for.

The future looks bright on the back end for the Washington Capitals.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry for beating the dead horse, but Djoos is too good to have not minimum contract here and sitting in the press box. He's useful for another team.

Should be gone before October.

I thought it would be done at draft honestly, but I was wrong.

Ps: hes young sc winner still being cheap offensive defender. Should have had some value in the league

Isn’t that exactly the type of 6/7 you want to have for depth? No need to move him until you’re forced to IMO, either by cap constraints or younger D surpassing him. That might indeed be coming very soon though....

Reactions: tenken00

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Isn’t that exactly the type of 6/7 you want to have for depth? No need to move him until you’re forced to IMO, either by cap constraints or younger D surpassing him. That might indeed be coming very soon though....
I thought we dont have enough for full roster already

Futures Passed

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.
Sep 2, 2018
I thought we dont have enough for full roster already
As I recall, the Caps had about $934,000 in cap space before they signed Djoos at $1.25 mil. Then they signed Stephenson as well, whom they were already unable to afford. So, the Caps have enough space to trade and replace Djoos with someone making $934,000 or less and trade Stephenson for a low pick maybe and leave that roster spot unfilled.

They could also send Siegenthaler down and play without any extra defensemen. Playing without an extra forward would also be an option. I wouldn’t have considered it, but GMBM raised the possibility of starting the year with a roster of twenty-one players in a recent interview. Of course, it was also the same interview where he said they would play the process out patiently, but would likely have to trade a player by October 2nd.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
"I saw him play quite a bit [in 2018-19] with his team at HV71 [Jonkoping] and he played 18-21 minutes a game. He played on the PK, played late in the game, played a regular shift. I think he is head and shoulders above anybody right now, even Alexeyev. Someone has got to be first, and for me he is first. He is a powerful skater, he is really strong, competes like crazy, a workaholic away from the rink, great kid, great attitude, understands the game. I mean, I thought he could have played for us last year, to be honest with you. At the end of the year, I thought for sure he could play [in Washington], no question. I'd be shocked if he is not playing games for us this year. I think he is our best prospect right now. Everyone knows he is good, but he is going to surprise people when the exhibition games start."

this quote is pretty crazy, wow.

This is one of those cases in which I wish the question he was asked was part of the article. We're missing some potential context here.

I could agree that Feverbaby is ahead of AA in terms of being NHL ready or having a shot at winning a full time NHL spot (as opposed to a cup of tea). You could maybe project that out to being a more reliable bet at having a full NHL career, but that's perhaps a stretch. I would be far less inclined to agree that MF's upside is as high as AA's potential. MF could certainly carve out a top 4 or even top 2 role in the right situation if he fully develops. But it's unlikely he could be a franchise cornerstone in the same way that AA could be if he develops ideally (however unlikely any player's ideal development may be). To put it another way, most think that Fehervary's top end potential is a Dan Hamhuis-type, while Alexeyev's ideal scenario is something like Victor Hedman-lite.

Reactions: GoCaps2004

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
This is one of those cases in which I wish the question he was asked was part of the article. We're missing some potential context here.

I could agree that Feverbaby is ahead of AA in terms of being NHL ready or having a shot at winning a full time NHL spot (as opposed to a cup of tea). You could maybe project that out to being a more reliable bet at having a full NHL career, but that's perhaps a stretch. I would be far less inclined to agree that MF's upside is as high as AA's potential. MF could certainly carve out a top 4 or even top 2 role in the right situation if he fully develops. But it's unlikely he could be a franchise cornerstone in the same way that AA could be if he develops ideally (however unlikely any player's ideal development may be). To put it another way, most think that Fehervary's top end potential is a Dan Hamhuis-type, while Alexeyev's ideal scenario is something like Victor Hedman-lite.
That's a pretty low ceiling. How many better skaters are there in the NHL than Fehervary? I mean that sincerely, best skater by far at rookie camp, best I saw that wasn't a Hughes in the Juniors. I mentioned Niedermeyer upside for MF in one thread but Iafrate is more sane.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
That's a pretty low ceiling. How many better skaters are there in the NHL than Fehervary? I mean that sincerely, best skater by far at rookie camp, best I saw that wasn't a Hughes in the Juniors. I mentioned Niedermeyer upside for MF in one thread but Iafrate is more sane.
Dan Hamhuis was a hell of a player for a long time in this league, including receiving Norris consideration in each of his first three seasons in Vancouver (16th, 10th, 16th). You can make an argument that MF is a better skater than Hamhuis, and thus he could maybe look more like ME Vlasic, but I haven't seen MF operate with the puck on his stick in the way that Vlasic does yet. We'll see how he fairs on smaller ice over the next couple seasons.

In terms of better skaters in the NHL, I don't think MF is on the level of Karlsson, Heiskanen, Letang, Josi, Keith, etc. He definitely has the skating to be a Plus skater in the NHL, but there's a lot of guys who blow past people at lower levels and then don't stand out quite the same way in the NHL.

Niedermayer comparisons puts you in the "future HHOF" category for Fehervary, and I seriously don't see him having anywhere near the offensive or powerplay potential that Niedermayer had (five seasons of 50+ points, two of 60+ points), or being the 25min+ ATOI, all situations player that Niedermayer was. MF's shot is nowhere near Al Iafrate territory, and it's hard to compare anyone to Iafrate without considering their slapshots given that it was his signature characteristic as a player. And in general, he's not going to be anywhere near the type of offensive player that Iafrate was.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Can’t believe McMichael beat MF in the prospect polls on here.
I would still vote for McMichael over MF. I'm on the Feverbaby hype train, but the conductor probably should give the brakes a couple pumps on it. He's still got a lot to show on how he adapts to the NA pro game.

Reactions: tenken00

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
These games being streamed anywhere?

All of the games are being streamed live from what I see on this page. (All CST time zone)

Washington Capitals 2019 Prospects Showcase Guide

The complete Tournament schedule is listed below:

Saturday, Sept. 7 - Washington vs. Carolina 1 p.m. WATCH LIVE

Saturday, Sept. 7 - Tampa Bay vs. Nashville 4 p.m. WATCH LIVE

Sunday, Sept. 8 - Nashville vs. Washington 1 p.m. WATCH LIVE

Sunday, Sept. 8 - Tampa Bay vs. Carolina 4 p.m. WATCH LIVE

Tuesday, Sept. 10 - Washington vs. Tampa Bay 10 a.m. WATCH LIVE

Tuesday, Sept. 10 Nashville vs. Carolina 1 p.m. WATCH LIVE

All Times Central

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
ALL TIMES CENTRAL

timezone.gif

Arizona pisses me off as they don't do day light saving further messing with me.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
It's 1p.m. central. Didn't even notice until now Carolina was the opponent. Heh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad