Prospect Info: Caps Top Prospects General Discussion Thread Vol. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
2+2 for Protas so far tonight. It puts him at the top in WHL scoring. He's also tops in +/-. You'd maybe like to see his shot totals higher but a great start regardless, esp. with him playing center.

Prince Albert Raiders (@PARaidersHockey) | Twitter has the video.

Love it. With him and McMichael lighting up the CHL and the bottom-6 starting the year well there is going to be a fight for the roster spots next season.

Feels good to finally have some hope coming up the Center position. It's been a while.

Shame Belarus aren't playing in the WJC, would have been fun to watch Protas there. Will need to check that tournament out to see some other prospects more though. Hugo Has is finally playing more in the FEL too, i assume he's going to make the Czech team so he'll get to play in his home country.

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Anyone else slightly disappointed with Leason's slow start? I know its early and his first year over but I was kinda hoping for at least a goal or two by now

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Anyone else slightly disappointed with Leason's slow start? I know its early and his first year over but I was kinda hoping for at least a goal or two by now

Personally, not really. Like you said, its still early. I think he will figure it out sooner than later.

Besides, we would be spoiled if all the Cap's recent draft picks were dominating. Love this last draft.

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Looking back at our drafts it is pretty bad. Washington Capitals Draft History at hockeydb.com

So many of the players we drafted either never played for us or no longer do. Hopefully that is changing with 2018 and 2019 drafts. But in general it takes 3-5 years to go from draft to NHL unless you are a top 5 pick. We have a grand total 3 NHL games played for players we drafted in 2016-2019 (and all three are Fehevary). From 2015 draft we have games from Siegenthaler and Samsonov. 2017 was absolute bust.

So I’m not overly concerned about Leason and I’m not overly excited about CMM or Protas. Optimistic... hell yeah! But it won’t happen overnight. Remember Connor Hobbs set all kinds of scoring records in Juniors but nothing at AHL level and probably will never make the NHL at this point.

That said, I am optimistic about the farm. I think Fehevary and AA will be NHLers along with Siegenthaler and Samsonov. That’s a lot of Dee. Maybe we get a fourth liner or two from 2015 (Beck and AJF) and hopefully 2019 is the draft that gives us some forward depth in middle 6. But we shall see.

Reactions: zman77

Rayquaza64

McMichael>McDavid
May 30, 2019
Virginia
Personally, not really. Like you said, its still early. I think he will figure it out sooner than later.

Besides, we would be spoiled if all the Cap's recent draft picks were dominating. Love this last draft.
fair enough, hopefully he wakes up eventually and GMBM continues to add forward depth to our defensively stacked but pretty lacking forward wise prospect pool

dave_no

Mar 27, 2006
Looking back at our drafts it is pretty bad. Washington Capitals Draft History at hockeydb.com

So many of the players we drafted either never played for us or no longer do. Hopefully that is changing with 2018 and 2019 drafts. But in general it takes 3-5 years to go from draft to NHL unless you are a top 5 pick. We have a grand total 3 NHL games played for players we drafted in 2016-2019 (and all three are Fehevary). From 2015 draft we have games from Siegenthaler and Samsonov. 2017 was absolute bust.

So I’m not overly concerned about Leason and I’m not overly excited about CMM or Protas. Optimistic... hell yeah! But it won’t happen overnight. Remember Connor Hobbs set all kinds of scoring records in Juniors but nothing at AHL level and probably will never make the NHL at this point.

That said, I am optimistic about the farm. I think Fehevary and AA will be NHLers along with Siegenthaler and Samsonov. That’s a lot of Dee. Maybe we get a fourth liner or two from 2015 (Beck and AJF) and hopefully 2019 is the draft that gives us some forward depth in middle 6. But we shall see.
Look here.

Best Drafting Teams in the NHL

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
And, FWIW, that data was only back to 2008. Take it back four more years and you add a defenseman that's got almost 700 NHL games, two goalies that combined for 800 NHL games, a forward with almost 600 NHL games, a 400 game defenseman, and an 800+ game defenseman and Norris Trophy finalist. Oh yeah, and then one of the top 5 centers of his generation, and the best goalscorer in the history of the league.

Many people overestimate the success of drafts in general. Getting a regular NHLer with any pick is a success.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

And, FWIW, that data was only back to 2008. Take it back four more years and you add a defenseman that's got almost 700 NHL games, two goalies that combined for 800 NHL games, a forward with almost 600 NHL games, a 400 game defenseman, and an 800+ game defenseman and Norris Trophy finalist. Oh yeah, and then one of the top 5 centers of his generation, and the best goalscorer in the history of the league.

Many people overestimate the success of drafts in general. Getting a regular NHLer with any pick is a success.
That. Is. Glorious.

Mahoney... :bow:

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
That is amazing. It does prove a couple of my points which is it takes 3-5 years for prospects (particularly for Caps) to get to the show and the since 2016 we dont have much to show yet (we rank last in that time period). It is also giving us credit for many who don’t play for the Caps any more like Forsberg (ouch), Bura, Connic, Schmidt, Varly, and Gruby. Some for good reasons and some for bad. But that is a lot of draft talent that isn’t on the Caps today.

It also shows we have done more with less than any other team which is cool to see. Lastly, I’m not down on our drafts. My main point when i made the comment was to not get to excited about our 2019 draftees as it is a long road from juniors to NHL. But it is encouraging.

Reactions: zman77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad