Post-Game Talk: Caps @ The Powerhouse - 12:30 EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt4776

May 8, 2009
Honestly the problem is tha tsure those guys will be coming in but when does it all "come together" for a real run? That's kid of how you get stuck in a perpetual rebuild is if your young guys are always just coming in but it's not timed well with good vets and impact players contributing at the same time.

I dunno, I guess I'm saying I wouldn't rely on Miller, Keane, Lundkvist and rookies to be major impact guys right out of hte gate. We need players like DeAngelo and Hajek and Rykov or whatever to be actually legit GOOD and contributing players in 2 years if we want this team to be going anywhere in that time frame

By the time Miller/Lundkvist/2019 1st rounders/High 2020 1st (if we pick top-5 next year) are breaking in, we'll have Zibby, maybe Kreider (we'll see next year I suppose), Tony D, Kravtsov, Buch, Andersson, Chytil, Skjei, Georgie/Shesty, Howden, Lemieux, maybe one of Hajek/Lindgren, hopefully all playing good hockey.

Reactions: Rongomania

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I mean, that's an exemption to the rule and of course I'd rather pick top 5, but are Hughes and/or Kakko really generational can't miss talents? I don't think so. I bet there will be players in this draft that will end up being as good if not better than those two in a couple of years

It's just one of the stages of the grieving cycle.

Reactions: leetch99

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
How’d Hajek look? I’m still at work til 5 so does anyone know if they’re showing the game again today?

Claxton

Sep 30, 2007
vdYJNef.gif

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Honestly the problem is tha tsure those guys will be coming in but when does it all "come together" for a real run? That's kid of how you get stuck in a perpetual rebuild is if your young guys are always just coming in but it's not timed well with good vets and impact players contributing at the same time.

I dunno, I guess I'm saying I wouldn't rely on Miller, Keane, Lundkvist and rookies to be major impact guys right out of hte gate. We need players like DeAngelo and Hajek and Rykov or whatever to be actually legit GOOD and contributing players in 2 years if we want this team to be going anywhere in that time frame

Agreed! You definitely some more "veteran" guidance for the 20/21 year olds. Let's hope "older" guys like ADA and Skjei get better and develop more under Quinn. They would be around what 25/26 when guys like Miller and Keane are hopefully ready compete in the NHL Not saying they are or will be as good but hopefully modeled like the Preds d core.
One more year of Shatty and Staal to hopefully provide some leadership and mentoring (even if they aren't good anymore) then pass the torch to ADA, Skjei and the rest of the younger dmen.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Agreed! You definitely some more "veteran" guidance for the 20/21 year olds. Let's hope "older" guys like ADA and Skjei get better and develop more under Quinn. They would be around what 25/26 when guys like Miller and Keane are hopefully ready compete in the NHL Not saying they are or will be as good but hopefully modeled like the Preds d core.
One more year of Shatty and Staal to hopefully provide some leadership and mentoring (even if they aren't good anymore) then pass the torch to ADA, Skjei and the rest of the younger dmen.

Honestly that's kind of why I"m wary of dumping guys like Kreider and Zibanejad, though in Kreider's case it's definitely going to be a careful consideration whether it's worth it to pay him on a next contract and all. But having some kind of carryover and stability on the team is better than constantly cycling players in and out just to pick up draft picks and prospects

edit: and yeah not having to have Kravtsov come in and replace Zibanejad's production or something and then worry about how to get secondary scoring and so on

Reactions: bl02

Rangerfans

Oct 12, 2008
In 2-3 years hopefully guys like Smith, Shatty, Staal out...guys like Miller, Keane, Lundkvist (maybe extra year??), Hajek, ADA, Skjei, Lindgren (hopefully) in.

No team is going to be filled with 100% young core. It’s just not feasible unfortunately . Also, that d-core would be brutally weak imo. It’s not like Hartford’s D is a wall.

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
Not clear to me that Georgiev wasn’t targeting the puck rather that Ovi. Acct to the rule, the stick has to be thrown at the player for the award of an automatic goal. No mention of a stick thrown at the puck, or out at nothing with the intent of blocking the puck.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
I am proud of this bunch. They had every reason to mail it in and instead they compete like Hell. They don't quit. Management needs to have those scouts on their game. That's what this rebuild is going to boil down to. We've got a lot of bullets. Don't waste them on poor targets and don't miss when you get a good one in your sights. They need a draft where they pull 4 or 5 NHL players out. You have a couple of those, (hoping last year was one as well) your going to have a good stretch ahead of you. You may not get the big fish but eventually you get in a spot where someone else will give one up for quantity.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I don't have a particular issue with Strome. No he's not the greatest skater and he shouldn't be a 2C but there's no one else right now that's better. For a $3.1 mil cap hit he's about right and IMO he's a hell of a lot better player than Spooner. Strome at least competes. He's signed through next year and hopefully someone is ready to supplant him by the next trade deadline but we have a few guys like that.

As far as today--we weren't terrible bad but kind of lucky to come out of it with a point. I like Georgiev. Arguably he's been our best goalie for the last month. I think he could be a legit NHL No. 1 goaltender. For some reason he's not as good at the AHL level but he's got the goods---and pretty much he kept us in this one all the way.

Strome is young and even if someone supplanted him (hopefully otherwise there issues with rebuild) his game is suited for lower lines. What happens with Fast, Namestinkov, Vesey? I’d keep Strome and at least some of other of these young vets, salary permitting, until another youngster pushes them out of lineup altogether.

Reactions: egelband

Avery16

Shake my hand, fatso
Jun 28, 2015
Brooklyn
That’s the rule though, goalie throws his stick on a shootout attempt it’s an auto goal.
It's like being hooked on an empty net. Rules are clear

They are clear. The goalie cannot throw their stick or any other object at the player. Nothing about at the puck, or in an attempt to block the puck from crossing the goal line. I'd say Georgiev in the grey here. Threw his stick in an attempt to block the puck, stick made contact with Ovi's stick and the puck. Was not thrown at Ovi, didn't touch Ovi's person. I would have challenged that call, and I'd tell Georgiev good play.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
No team is going to be filled with 100% young core. It’s just not feasible unfortunately . Also, that d-core would be brutally weak imo. It’s not like Hartford’s D is a wall.

I didn’t say 100 percent . Slowly infuse these younger guys. Hopefully guys like miller and lundkvist won’t need to develop in Hartford much. Place just doesn’t seem like a good environment

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
The other thing I like about this team is that there isn't any obvious albatross contract on the books. That's huge. These other teams are going to be having their cake right now but when they have to pay these guys they couldn't wait to lock into 8 year deals when they are old and fat in year 5 are going to add up. This team needs to run an internal cap even though they have money. If they open up the wallet, it's gotta be for a legit top 3-5 at the position in the league. Everyone else, get in line and know your role.

Reactions: egelband

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
The other thing I like about this team is that there isn't any obvious albatross contract on the books. That's huge. These other teams are going to be having their cake right now but when they have to pay these guys they couldn't wait to lock into 8 year deals when they are old and fat in year 5 are going to add up. This team needs to run an internal cap even though they have money. If they open up the wallet, it's gotta be for a legit top 3-5 at the position in the league. Everyone else, get in line and know your role.
you know that's not happening. Gonna be plenty more Smiths and Skattenkirks , this is NYC baby

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
So I guess this is the part where I admit the fact that ADA is a better player than I ever thought I would admit to him being. I have opinions, mostly strong, and sometimes wrong. He has come a long way. I didn't think he had it in him. I have gone from despising him, to tolerating him, to kinda actually liking him. He makes a notable positive impact on almost every shift. He is quick and decisive, two short commodities in these parts. There you go. One crow dinner with all the fixins, ordered and eaten.

TominNC

Jul 17, 2017
Charlotte, NC
They are clear. The goalie cannot throw their stick or any other object at the player. Nothing about at the puck, or in an attempt to block the puck from crossing the goal line. I'd say Georgiev in the grey here. Threw his stick in an attempt to block the puck, stick made contact with Ovi's stick and the puck. Was not thrown at Ovi, didn't touch Ovi's person. I would have challenged that call, and I'd tell Georgiev good play.
He threw it at the player. He didn't hit him but he through it at him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad