GDT: Caps @ Sens - 2/5/15 - CAPITAL CARNAGE, aka "Stealing From Others" Edition

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
On that last point, to be fair it was a Thursday night and the weather has been pretty much **** this week. We are smack in the middle of the winter blues.

I'm not saying it would have been a sellout otherwise.. but everywhere I've been in the last week or so has felt dead.. people are hunkered down or have flown south.

Combination of apathetic fans, some of whom are mad for being told this was going to be a highly competitive team, it's middle of a cold ass winter and people don't want to deal with the ordeal that is getting in and out of Kanata on such a night... there are lots of factors.

IMO a big reason for the fickle nature of our fans is simply that we're a young franchise and that the older, big hockey fans in this city, ie the ones that would be dedicated to buying tickets and showing up, already have a team (Montreal, TO, Boston...) and realistically, would you just all of a sudden switch allegiances if a new team moved to your town? The result is that many of our older fans are/were fringe NHL fans that decided to "cheer for the hometown team", and now they don't bother showing up when the team is losing and the weather is horrid.

We'll get back to where we should be in a few years. A franchise should (and I stress should) be able to withstand a few years with 15k+ fans in the stands. We'll be getting sellouts eventually if progress continues. We simply need to be a better team to put more butts in the seats.

Also, you have to remember we've pretty much been out of the playoff race since the 30 game mark of the season. Selling tickets for so many games remaining when there is no hope of playoffs is a monumental task, especially in this market.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Just have to chime in and say last night's gameday experience was atrocious.

Parking $13, okay.

The game itself was just awful. Washington showed up for about :51 in the 2nd period, and their penalty kill played decently in the early parts of the third period.

Other than that, it was just a bad hockey game.

The loudest people in the rink were the twenty Ukrainians who - in somewhat ill-taste - brought signs proclaiming "Ovechkin Supports Terror". Watching them was easily the funnest part of the night.

On the ice, the Sens were just awful. Karlsson was just not good. Methot not good. Forward corps not good.

This is a team that looks and feels like what it is - the cheapest roster in the NHL.

The fact that almost half of the 300s were empty was pretty sad, and I went to the game with a Wings fan from Niagara who said, "Seeing this arena this empty and dead is getting me pumped for the Joe in two weeks!"

Announced was 16.5k, probably closer to 14-15.

This organization is in a bad way, on- and off-ice. There's no denying it.

I'll be worried about attendance if the team is performing and people aren't showing

It's been another let down season for the Senators and it's been two in a row

Tundraman

ModerationIsKey
Feb 13, 2010
North
Fighting may be down but physicality is still a big part of the game. It's terrible that the only response the Sens had to Ovechkin's gooning was Ryan who was obviously over-matched. Tom Wilson even tried to engage Neil but he only responded mildly probably because he's so underused by Cameron. No one made any of the Caps forwards pay the price for Ovechkin's and the Caps multiple cheap and often late hits/runs on EK. The Sens still need a couple of big guy who can skate, hit to cause pain and act as a deterrent. At the very least they need a couple of guys with jam who play a bit dirty. I don't want to lose any of the younger guys but too many of the forwards are too soft. Although they have a role Legwand and Condra are the 2 I'd replace. Too bad Greening let them down in that dept. Is anyone on the farm ready to fill that role?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I'm so uninterested in the playoffs. This team would be way better finishing low and getting a stud with their draft pick rather than wasting time trying to push for the playoffs. Maybe if this was last year, the tune would be different. But in a draft as deep as this one, there's no losers.

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
That is literally the first time I think anyone on record has ever called him that.

So "many of us" = "one guy".

The claim made me laugh, this only added to it. The K for the C that is supposed to be in captain is very clever and likely refers to the K in Karlsson...neat!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Fighting may be down but physicality is still a big part of the game. It's terrible that the only response the Sens had to Ovechkin's gooning was Ryan who was obviously over-matched. Tom Wilson even tried to engage Neil but he only responded mildly probably because he's so underused by Cameron. No one made any of the Caps forwards pay the price for Ovechkin's and the Caps multiple cheap and often late hits/runs on EK. The Sens still need a couple of big guy who can skate, hit to cause pain and act as a deterrent. At the very least they need a couple of guys with jam who play a bit dirty. I don't want to lose any of the younger guys but too many of the forwards are too soft. Although they have a role Legwand and Condra are the 2 I'd replace. Too bad Greening let them down in that dept. Is anyone on the farm ready to fill that role?

Ovechkins gooning?

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I've heard people call Karlsson a bunch of things but never Kaptain Turnover

I've heard that, at the game and in my circle. Also heard Princess K, Nodefencesson and Captain Quit when a goal is scored against him (seemingly). He's probably the whipping boy at the moment, though Phillips is high up the whipping boy list.

I'd hate to lose Erik though, he's the only elite performer this team has.

ChocolateLeclaire

Jan 12, 2010
Ottawa, Canada
I've heard that, at the game and in my circle. Also heard Princess K, Nodefencesson and Captain Quit when a goal is scored against him (seemingly). He's probably the whipping boy at the moment, though Phillips is high up the whipping boy list.

Weird, I thought you decided that Captain Quit was Craig Anderson.

It's nice that you're "circle" consists of ignorant hockey fans.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

I've heard sens fans call him out when he plays bad, leaves practice early or looks unmotivated but rarely if ever have i heard people call him names. Then again im not in Ottawa lol and 99 percent of the people where i am have no idea who karlsson is. At least on this board its rare.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

supposed to be boro..

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

Turnovers should be the last thing he should be chirped for. Not caring defensively on the other hand...cool circle.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
We could be the only two who think this on here, I don't see that changing with this team anytime soon, they are soft as butter & most want to add more small soft players & get rid of the tougher players.

I kind of like that nick name for Karlsson, Kaptain Turnover, it fits & is warranted this season. I wonder if Lehner will start calling him that after bailing him out again last night a few times. :laugh:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
We could be the only two who think this on here, I don't see that changing with this team anytime soon, they are soft as butter & most want to add more small soft players & get rid of the tougher players.

I kind of like that nick name for Karlsson, Kaptain Turnover, it fits & is warranted this season. I wonder if Lehner will start calling him that after bailing him out again last night a few times. :laugh:

Wait a minute, how can we be soft as butter with all these "tough" players?

As for Karlsson and Lehner, maybe Lehner should apologize for the rebounds he gave that lead to goals vs the one turnover Karl had?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

We know Murray was looking at adding Stewart because he thought adding a body who can score was a priority and also why Chiasson was an immediate target for management once Spezza made it clear he was ok with going to Dallas

Thank the heavens TMur was an idiot and pressed for a return BMur wasn't giving up for Chris Stewart though, that would have be catastrophic

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009

I wouldnt mind getting tougher. The problem is we need more skill even more so.

Its as if our tough guys aren't tough enough and our skilled guys aren't skilled enough.

We have a lot of "tough guys" that don't play tough.

Gryba: supposed to be tough. Since that eller hit he barely hits.
Cowen: supposed to be tough but never manhandles guys down low like chara or Sutton did for us.
Greening: simply can't play that game. Sent down.
Smith: plays softer than pageau, his call up replacement. He hasn't really played tough since that Horton fight.
Neil: I don't recall the last time he completely ran over someone. He used to do it a couple times a season. Haven't seen it last year or this year. His last huge hit was probably boychuck 2 years ago. Also, either no one fights him, or he doesn't fight anymore. His fight totals are down.
Methot: he seems to play a lot less physical than when he was in Columbus.
Borowiecki: no complaints. He could just use more size.

Now our skilled guys aren't skilled enough. Our skilled guys are guys like MacArthur and turris who are supposed to be secondary scorers, but on this team are primary scorers.

Its not that we need more tough players or more skilled players. The balance is good. The problem is our tough guys aren't that tough and our skilled guys aren't that skilled.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Monza vs Lazio
    Monza vs Lazio
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $245.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • FC Köln vs Freiburg
    FC Köln vs Freiburg
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $370.00