GDT: Caps @ Sens - 2/5/15 - CAPITAL CARNAGE, aka "Stealing From Others" Edition

jason9090spezza

Oct 19, 2014
Japan
Who cares about the game. It's a typical Senators game that "some" fool would try and justify/damage-control it once again.

Chris Phillips. Thats all u have to know about the game:yo:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Nobody did tonight.

Michalek was creating chances and skating well pretty much all game though.

I admit of being overdefensive of Michalek this year mostly out of a desire to counterbalance some of the unfair criticism he received earlier in the year, but he was easily one of our top-6 forwards tonight, and has been for over a dozen games now. Is that a damning statement on our top-6 lately? Sure, maybe. But it's a thing. He's outperforming guys right now who had a leg up on him earlier in the year.

Credit where credit is due, the guy is playing good hockey right now. You can have good games while not showing up on the scoresheet sometimes. I mean, maybe you don't want to have a LOT of those scoreless nights when you're paying the guy $4mil, sure, but he was a "plus" out there this evening, and has been a "plus" for us pretty much all of 2015 so far.

I agree with your first statement but I have to disagree with the rest. He was pretty much invisible, which IS better than where he was at the beginning of the year, but he's had better games in the past little bit. Not sure if we were watching the same game but I don't really remember Michalek generating much. Don't think the Legwand - Michalek pairing is working. It only worked in one game. Against Arizona. I'd move him back with JGP, that's where we got the Michalek renaissance of the last 10 games.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
How about some line juggling: (assuming Chiasson is close)

Hoff - Ziba - Ryan <- we know this works
Condra - Turris - Lazar <- puck possession + turret + jam
Michalek - Pageau - Chiasson <- we know this works
Mac - Legwand - Stone <- a little bit of everything

Gives us 4 decent lines.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Ceci
Boro - Gryba <- the best 3rd pairing we have IMO

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
7686178464_fdc8ea66c7.jpg

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Well, that's a pretty good way to lose if you're looking forward to getting a high pick.

Said it before and I'll say it again, I'd rather be winning, but as far as consolation prizes go, it certainly helps take the edge off

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
I wonder what the differences between us and the Habs were. We both sunk low and drafted high. We both rebounded, but the Sens are now hovering, while the Habs have continued to rise.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I wonder what the differences between us and the Habs were. We both sunk low and drafted high. We both rebounded, but the Sens are now hovering, while the Habs have continued to rise.

Price. That is all.

I mean their offense isn't doing **** being that the Sens have 6 more goals than the Habs believe it or not.

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013

-Habs fans hate Therrien but he does have a system that can win games. He just doesnt change it ever. Better structure than Maclean these last two years that makes up for weakness in the team.
-Patches is one of the best goal scorers in the league imo and is a game breaker
-Price is better then Anderson this season
-Markov healthy methot not healthy
- Jacque martin had a winning record when fired. Cunneyworth took over and had a losing record and sealed the tank
-depth
-constantly promoting young players
-Money

Last edited:

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
This biggest problem with the Sens is not having enough top-end defensemen. Plus you have a defensemen like Karlsson or as many of us call him ...Kaptain Turover...who really shouldnt be a captain in this league and bam... we are a hot pile of you know what...

Flamingo

Nov 13, 2008
Ottawa
Price. That is all.

I mean their offense isn't doing **** being that the Sens have 6 more goals than the Habs believe it or not.

!!! Six more goals? I think the Sens' offense has been anemic this season. In the best situation, six more goals nets you six more games. We really didn't play defense very well for the first few months of the season, did we?

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
This biggest problem with the Sens is not having enough top-end defensemen. Plus you have a defensemen like Karlsson or as many of us call him ...Kaptain Turover...who really shouldnt be a captain in this league and bam... we are a hot pile of you know what...

lol

:shakehead

:help:

This is going to be a weird finish to the season. First time in a long time that I am no longer emotionally invested in the team. I'm still 'excited' about hockey and the sens in general, but I no longer watch every game.

Right now I just want to get to the trade deadline and then the draft and FA day. Hopefully, the disappointment ends on one of those days.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012

Alfie left, Spezza left, Gonchar left.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

Well, when the habs sucked, they got a top 3 pick, big difference than the #6 we got.

The Habs also are spending to the cap, or close enough, and made sure to bring in top 4 quality vets on the backend to support and take away pressure from Subban (Markov, Gonchar) and spends to supplement the bottom pair with Gilbert.

The habs had a fairly healthy roster all year,

Price has played 40 games, Anderson 32.

Oh, yeah, and the habs didn't have 2 of their top players leave with no or minimal return. Spezza and Alfie leaving is huge. Take away Pacioretty and Markov and see how the Habs do. It won't be pretty, even if you give them Chiasson to ease the sting.

A bunch of little things that add up, and then that last one. Currently, the habs are a good team that goes as far as Price will take them. He has a good year like right now, they have a great record, he has an off year, look out.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
-Habs fans hate Therrien but he does have a system that can win games. He just doesnt change it ever. Better structure than Maclean these last two years that makes up for weakness in the team.
-Patches is one of the best goal scorers in the league imo and is a game breaker
-Price is better then Anderson this season
-Markov healthy methot not healthy
- Jacque martin had a winning record when fired. Cunneyworth took over and had a losing record and sealed the tank
-depth
-constantly promoting young players
-Money

Price is the biggest thing. He is the Habs.

But galchenyuk could be what really pulls them away from us. Because we match up with them pretty well player for player. But galchenyuk could end up being the best forward for either team. As a true 1C.
Ahh the tank.

connor macdavid

Press Box Rat
Dec 24, 2008
Ottawa
Just have to chime in and say last night's gameday experience was atrocious.

Parking $13, okay.

The game itself was just awful. Washington showed up for about :51 in the 2nd period, and their penalty kill played decently in the early parts of the third period.

Other than that, it was just a bad hockey game.

The loudest people in the rink were the twenty Ukrainians who - in somewhat ill-taste - brought signs proclaiming "Ovechkin Supports Terror". Watching them was easily the funnest part of the night.

On the ice, the Sens were just awful. Karlsson was just not good. Methot not good. Forward corps not good.

This is a team that looks and feels like what it is - the cheapest roster in the NHL.

The fact that almost half of the 300s were empty was pretty sad, and I went to the game with a Wings fan from Niagara who said, "Seeing this arena this empty and dead is getting me pumped for the Joe in two weeks!"

Announced was 16.5k, probably closer to 14-15.

This organization is in a bad way, on- and off-ice. There's no denying it.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Who cares about the game. It's a typical Senators game that "some" fool would try and justify/damage-control it once again.

Chris Phillips. Thats all u have to know about the game:yo:

You seem to use "damage control" a lot. Our team isn't very good. Most if not all here know that?

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands

Parking $13, okay.

The game itself was just awful. Washington showed up for about :51 in the 2nd period, and their penalty kill played decently in the early parts of the third period.

The loudest people in the rink were the twenty Ukrainians who - in somewhat ill-taste - brought signs proclaiming "Ovechkin Supports Terror". Watching them was easily the funnest part of the night.

On the ice, the Sens were just awful. Karlsson was just not good. Methot not good. Forward corps not good.

This is a team that looks and feels like what it is - the cheapest roster in the NHL.

The fact that almost half of the 300s were empty was pretty sad, and I went to the game with a Wings fan from Niagara who said, "Seeing this arena this empty and dead is getting me pumped for the Joe in two weeks!"

On that last point, to be fair it was a Thursday night and the weather has been pretty much **** this week. We are smack in the middle of the winter blues.

I'm not saying it would have been a sellout otherwise.. but everywhere I've been in the last week or so has felt dead.. people are hunkered down or have flown south.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011

Parking $13, okay.

That's rather upsetting. I know it's been a rough few seasons, but we still need to support the team. If we can't even fill our barn, there's virtually no hope of Scrooge McDuck opening the purse strings down the road.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I went to the game. I was actually there all day. Got a tour of the dressing room, workout room etc. Met some guys.

The game was was the most boring part of the day. The first period was so quiet.

I feel like not only has Eugene cheaped out on the roster, but things like game programs. Remember when those were free?

But back to the game. What's bad is people paying big bucks to go to this game only to watch these guys casually skate out there. No effort. Not putting anything into their hits. Coasting everywhere. Its a combination of our team not having any skill(thanks melnyk/Murray) and the players not giving honest efforts (thanks Cameron and players)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad