Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines/etc) | 2023-24 Regular Season Edition

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I really really think Oshie needs to hang them up after this season. He’s putting his body through too much. But I know his warrior heart is too big.
If he’s not constantly in pain, I’d play if I was him…..if he is, it might be time…

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I want Oshie to do what Oshie wants to do. Even if we have to deal with him missing half the games next year, I’d welcome him back with open arms to finish out his career. If he decides to LTIRetire (because he won’t just retire), I support that as well. He is a leader of men and when in the lineup he is a beast!

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland
Buying Kuemper out or trading him with retention is a terrible option. Lindgren isn't guaranteed to repeat his performance from this year and we aren't in a cap situation that would dictate such a drastic move. There's no reason to make a knee-jerk move and jettison him when he can still turn it around. Give him a fresh chance next year to rebound. There's still a good goalie in there somewhere, he just has to find it again.

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
Buying Kuemper out or trading him with retention is a terrible option. Lindgren isn't guaranteed to repeat his performance from this year and we aren't in a cap situation that would dictate such a drastic move. There's no reason to make a knee-jerk move and jettison him when he can still turn it around. Give him a fresh chance next year to rebound. There's still a good goalie in there somewhere, he just has to find it again.
I’ve seen nothing from Kuemper that makes me think he is going to “turn it around”. If we are rebuilding anyway I’ll take my chances with Lindgren.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I’ve seen nothing from Kuemper that makes me think he is going to “turn it around”. If we are rebuilding anyway I’ll take my chances with Lindgren.
30 year old Lindgren vs 33 year old Darcy. Both are too old for a rebuild. Next year I'd roll with the current tandem, trade Chucky at the deadline and move forward with Stevenson getting healthy starts while splitting the end of the season with Darcy. The only thing that derails that for me is Stevenson taking the #1 from Shep in the playoffs and guiding the Bears deep. He accomplished that then you need to start looking at a way to get him some NHL net. He's already 25 himself, the clock is ticking.

Reactions: Kazer

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Not sure what you want from the guy. He made a mistake and didn't expect (or deserve IMO) such a fuss. Still, when it came he took the punishment and now he's getting back to work.

I expect accountability out of a guy who is about to be paid $45.5 million over 7 years in large part due to his intangibles.

Instead he seems to be blaming everyone but himself. Seems like bad leadership to me!

Sep 19, 2008

I am recovering from dental work I can't eat anything hot

I am stuck like OVI eating subway every day

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
I expect accountability out of a guy who is about to be paid $45.5 million over 7 years in large part due to his intangibles.

Instead he seems to be blaming everyone but himself. Seems like bad leadership to me!
You heard a completely different interview than i did. But then again you hate him and there is no convincing you otherwise. Sounded like a future captain to me. Appropriately criticized and also owned the decision. Said he has to control his stick. SMH.

TheSmokingMan

Nov 20, 2006
Maryland

Many good goalies have had a down season and come back the next year and performed well. The mental game for goalies is critical. He deserves a chance this off-season to reset and clear his head. It's short sighted to not at least give him a chance to rebound next year, especially when we aren't up against the cap.

Reactions: Calicaps and Block

Kuz

May 11, 2015
No need to buy him out anyway. We have more than 6,1 million to work with before taking Backstrom LTIR into account. Only need to sign CMM and Malenstyn. Then probably let Pac and NAK go or keep them as depth options. Hopefully Leonard joins and we have 13 forwards with Sgarbossa being the 13th forward. Anyway Caps can sign an UFA aswell if they want to.

trick9

Jun 2, 2013
Just own it... like he mostly did.

It was a f***ing dumb high-stick, but crying wolf because you are under a microscope for your own past actions is silly. If this is anyone else without history, it's propably a game (see: Kuznetsov 1-game suspension for high-sticking), but it's Tom's own history that cost him here.

It's his actions that determine just how badly he let his team and fans down. That 6-game stretch might end up costly for us. Now it's time to shut up and put the team in your back and carry them into the Playoffs to make amends.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I thought leadership was an "intangible" that didn't matter.

Cappy76

Sponsor
Sep 1, 2005
London, Kentucky
Just own it... like he mostly did.

It was a f***ing dumb high-stick, but crying wolf because you are under a microscope for your own past actions is silly. If this is anyone else without history, it's propably a game (see: Kuznetsov 1-game suspension for high-sticking), but it's Tom's own history that cost him here.

It's his actions that determine just how badly he let his team and fans down. That 6-game stretch might end up costly for us. Now it's time to shut up and put the team in your back and carry them into the Playoffs to make amends.
But past actions shouldn't come into play here. Based on the rules his previous suspensions don't come into account due to the time passed since the last one. 6 games was steep.

Reactions: YippieKaey

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Tom Wilson has been suspended:

In the Preseason - How the f*** does one get suspended in the preseason?

Regular Season

Post Season

He’s hockey stupid folks, and has no business being the Captain of this team. It’s not the 80’s anymore.

He needs to he counted on, and he simply cannot be counted on.

• Haha
Reactions: PlushMinus and g00n

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I thought leadership was an "intangible" that didn't matter.

I don't really think it matters but management clearly thinks it does, and they clearly think he's a leader. Otherwise he wouldn't have been offered that contract.

I think the recent suspension along with Tom Wilson's recent "why should I face consequences for my actions" interview kind of puts to bed the idea that Tom Wilson actually is a leader.

Ignoring the opportunity cost of not trading him (which was massive), it now comes down to whether his on-ice performance over the next 7 years will make that contract worth it. And folks, if this year is any indication I have a feeling it's going to be a rough 7 years.

Reactions: PlushMinus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad