Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2022-23 Season Part 1: Free Agent Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
He’ll get plenty of opportunities playing eight minutes a night out of position in a bottom six role I’m sure.
With keeping Johansson and Eller, and Hagelin looking like he might play, I'm not even sure McMichael is going to get that opportunity again this year. They seem to be doing everything they can to banish him to Hershey.

Reactions: um

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
He’ll get plenty of opportunities playing eight minutes a night out of position in a bottom six role I’m sure.
He will be glued to the bench most nights if Lavi has his way. Hopefully BMac and him have talked about how McMichael will be used to some extent this year.

I have no qualms with Hagelin but let’s get some youth in the line-up.

Reactions: ClevelandCapsfan

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Ovi - Kuzy - Sheary
Mantha - Strome - Oshie
Johannson - CMM - Brown
Eller - Dowd - Hathaway
Sniveley / Hagelin

I can fully imagine that’s how the season will start. I’m less bullish on Strome actually holding down the 2C spot until Backstrom is back - I think he’ll be on a fairly short leash, and could well find himself up and down the lineup and possibly not staying in it. I think CMM is more likely to be the odd man out when Wilson and/or Backstrom return, depending on who gets moved out in a corresponding move. But I think they’re going to want to see what they have in CMM (and Strome) now so they can make a timely decision on whether to extend or extend Eller, or let him walk as a UFA next off season.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Right now this is how I’d pencil in the lineup:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Mantha
Johansson-Strome-Brown
Sheary-McMichael-Oshie
Eller-Dowd-Hathaway

I think the top line needs more playdriving and a good defensive presence and I’m not sure Brown does that. Mantha, meanwhile, is probably best suited as a good complementary player rather than the primary shooting threat on a line. I think 8-92-39 could work well as a top line as they all seem to have different skillsets they bring to the table.

The second line wings are a bit weak but hopefully Strome can help make that line better than the sum of its parts. If there is concern about Strome’s skating then having Johansson and Brown flanking him would mitigate this.

I really liked the Sheary-McMichael-Oshie line last year. Again, I think they complement each other well and would like to see them get a good number of minutes, possibly second line minutes even.

Eller as 4LW makes the most sense to me. He should provide a bit more offensively than Hagelin even if he’s maybe a bit weaker defensively. But he should fit in with what the 4th line does. And he can still play center on the PK.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Brown is a puck hound and a defensive presence. He’s exactly what that top line needs. That said I have no issue trying Mantha there either.

Assuming CMM outplays Eller:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
Johansson-Strome-Mantha
Sheary-McMichael-Oshie
Eller-Dowd-Hathaway

I really dislike Mojo in the top-6….might flip him for Sheary…

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd be shocked if we didn't use Kuznetsov, Strome, Eller, Dowd down the middle to start... and I'd be surprised if it didn't last all year.

McMichael is screwed.

Reactions: Rayquaza64

DWGie26

Sponsor
Oct 6, 2019
NOVA
Brown is a puck hound and a defensive presence. He’s exactly what that top line needs. That said I have no issue trying Mantha there either.

Assuming CMM outplays Eller:

Ovechkin-Kuznetsov-Brown
Johansson-Strome-Mantha
Sheary-McMichael-Oshie
Eller-Dowd-Hathaway

I really dislike Mojo in the top-6….might flip him for Sheary…
I have really come around on Brown on the top line. I originally thought Mantha would be a good fit there. And they’ll likely both get opportunities as they look to see about chemistry.

I hate Mojo on the second line. That is a cop-out. I didn’t mind the signing for depth and maybe 4LW but as the offseason progressed I really hope to see Mojo as an extra or even sent to Hershey. That may be a pipedream but he could add a lot of value in Hershey as a leader and LW which is badly needed. I don’t think he had a lot of teams knocking on his door so if PL and BM have the guts to send him down that is optimal.

I like Snively on second line in place of Mojo.

Like the third line and forth line with Eller at 4LW assuming CMM can win the 3C and I do believe he’ll be given that opportunity. Eller will still be tradeable even if he plays wing half the season because everyone in the league knows he can play 3C really well.

Reactions: um and Monsterrain
Sep 19, 2008
PXL_20220922_133923925.jpg
PXL_20220922_130834931.jpg
PXL_20220922_131053475.jpg
PXL_20220922_134103165.jpg
PXL_20220922_132551299.jpg
PXL_20220922_133645868.jpg
PXL_20220922_132334215.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad