Speculation: Caps Roster General Discussion (Coaching/FAs/Cap/Lines etc) - 2022-23 Season Part 1: Free Agent Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
First!

Hah yeah, if this is a top down decision like you're suggesting in terms of Backstrom and using his cap space then Ted and the ownership group really don't want to win. The chances he returns off this surgery this year are pretty low you'd have to think. I know surgery continues to evolve and maybe his damage wasn't as significant as other former players..not that I know much about the medical side of it...but color me shocked if 19 takes the ice for a game this year.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
It sounds like they’ll get their man in net, but this offseason is going to be a failure if they don’t get a top 6 forward or two. Puljujarvi and Dylan Strome are value options if they are intent on not spending all of the cap space they’ll have available. JT Miller has a reasonable cap hit and retention is possible.

Can’t keep wasting away the rest of Ovechkin’s career.

Last edited:

SecretaryofDefense5

Mar 20, 2022
Washington DC
It sounds like they’ll get their man in net, but this offseason is going to be a failure if they don’t get a top 6 forward or two. Puljujarvi and Dylan Strome are value options if they are intent on not spending all of the cap space they’ll have available. JT Miller has a reasonable cap him and retention is possible.

Can’t keep wasting away the rest of Ovechkin’s career.
Unfortunately I think Mac has made it clear that they will address the goalie need but if you put the numbers together that seems all they can do if they let the Nick situation hold the team hostage. They have about 9 million right now with Hagelin on LTIR. Let’s say they sign Kuemper at 6 million. That leaves them with 3 million to sign Samsonov. If I don’t have the math here right someone let me know.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
is Johnny Gaudreau really going FA?? I think hes one of the better players in the league. If we could somehow offer him 11 mill a season to lure him to Washington.

Its possible if we long term Backstrom and use Sammy in goal again. That said the Caps have never signed the top FA.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Unfortunately I think Mac has made it clear that they will address the goalie need but if you put the numbers together that seems all they can do if they let the Nick situation hold the team hostage. They have about 9 million right now with Hagelin on LTIR. Let’s say they sign Kuemper at 6 million. That leaves them with 3 million to sign Samsonov. If I don’t have the math here right someone let me know.

It doesn’t leave them much if he’s going to keep $9.2 million available for Backstrom’s return, that’s for sure. I know BMac is a straight shooter but leaving the forwards unaddressed is not a tenable situation.

Speaking of Samsonov: I’d rather not pay him close to $3 million if that’s what he’d get. Re-sign Copley or bring in Fucale as the backup for league minimum if that’s what Samsonov is going to get. The extra $2 million saved is enough to get a useful skater.

Reactions: swansonsays

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I don't mind too much waiting on Backstrom before making a long-term decision at the position more significantly. They're rooting for him and at least keeping the door open in part out of respect. Maybe that's something that's revisited at the trade deadline if need be and they have total certainty. In the meantime they need to at least make a decision on Lars Eller. Does he provide enough pop paired with McMichael to be confident enough in 2/3C while they wait? Hard to conclude with much confidence that he does at this point. He's done okay as a stopgap previously but his defense, possession and general energy seem on the decline. He's 33 on an expiring contract and it's hard to see him earning an extension. Dowd seemingly is just as valued, if not more, defensively.

Given an inclination toward shaking things up a bit I'd wager on that being the other move pending beyond in net or other value plays. Shipping him out and replacing him with a different look in free agency. Paul Stastny makes the most sense IMO as more of a veteran stabilizing two-way center stopgap. They're going to need someone that's more of a two-way player if Eller moves. Not one of the Stromes you'd think. Jarnkrok wouldn't surprise me as a modest upgrade over Johansson at least but he very likely falls short of being a clear upgrade over Eller. Same with Larsson. There's Trocheck & Copp as far as checking options go but they'll command considerable term. Giroux may be the only other option where term could be reasonable enough and the fit altogether passable. But he'll still earn a higher AAV elsewhere compared to Eller. Barring a trade for a center it's probably a pretty short list in free agency. Unless maybe there's just too much value in going with more of a limited offensive type.

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
If they sign Kuemper, plug in Fucale at $750 for the back up for sure. Is there that much of a difference between Samsonov and Fucale that would warrant an extra $2 mil? I don’t think so

Also Fucale at least seems confident enough to play the puck and direct traffic. I was impressed in the few games we saw him in that respect. He’s also probably gonna get claimed. Goalies get claimed a lot these days so assume he’s gone if you try to send him to Hershey

pman25

Aug 29, 2009
Richmond
Vancouver and JT Miller situation are really annoying. Do you wanna move the guy or not? If you do, let teams negotiate.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
If they sign Kuemper, plug in Fucale at $750 for the back up for sure. Is there that much of a difference between Samsonov and Fucale that would warrant an extra $2 mil? I don’t think so

Also Fucale at least seems confident enough to play the puck and direct traffic. I was impressed in the few games we saw him in that respect. He’s also probably gonna get claimed. Goalies get claimed a lot these days so assume he’s gone if you try to send him to Hershey
Until Kuemper is inevitably injured(he's injury prone) and Fucale is your starting netminder.

Kalopsia

Jun 25, 2018

Fucale looked great while he was up for sure, but keep in mind he's nearly two years older than Sammy and his AHL SV% last year was the same as Sammy's NHL SV% (.896). He might be the better option because of the cap savings, but I don't think it's very likely the team trusts him enough to have him as the primary backup.

blindsideheadshot

Jun 26, 2013
Henrik Borgstrom got bought out by the Blackhawks in an altogether weird move. He could be worth a cheap look if we wanted to replace Eller.

searle

Jan 24, 2014
England
Kubalik not getting a QO (rumour from main boards, not sure if substantiated yet) - they’re burning it to the ground, wtf?

Jun 15, 2007
Do we have the room to sign Kuemper, Samsonov and Kadri if we use all of NB's money?

Reactions: Holtbyisms

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Do we have the room to sign Kuemper, Samsonov and Kadri if we use all of NB's money?

Assuming about $14-15 million between Kuemper/Kadri I think they would have room, especially if they traded Eller.

Reactions: Holtbyisms
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad