Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Rangers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I just think after a loss like last night you need your leadership to step up more than ever. Personally, I would find the practice today to be the perfect place to set the tone for tomorrow. We've had not an inkling of a report that McD is injured in any way, and he just came off 5 days rest. I also don't recall any play last night in which he would've sustained anything. Furthermore, his mental snafu was largely a reason we lost the game, and he knows it. I would've expected him at practice today with nothing less than utter determination to make things right going forward. So maybe that's the source of my disappointment; the ideal visual of what I imagined practice being today vs the fact he's not even there. And please understand, I love Mac. He's one of my favorites; even with his somewhat frustrating season. But as a leader, and a leader of what we want to be considered the cup winning team, I'm sorry, but I just can't condone his absence. But I do still expect this team to show tomorrow what they're made of, and that they'll pass the test before them.

If AV tells him he's off, he's off. Players don't just blow off practice

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/755319

Pretty much word for word what I've been saying.

It's very good analysis. It does however in some ways ignore how the Rangers' D has been coached to play. McDonagh doesn't switch to the front of the net when he sees Boyle on the puck because the Rangers play man and he sees Backstrom incoming. Similarly he stays up on Boyle in puck support vs a softer stance between Ovie and the net because puck support has been absolutely drilled into the Rangers' defense.

I agree that if he had not done those things, as the author suggests, it could have turned out different. But that is definitely pretty typical of how they have been coached to play. I mean if it were up to me Stepan isn't chasing Ovie behind the net...he is much more valuable covering the slot, the odds of Ovie scoring from behind the goal line are extremely small obviously. But that is the system. It puts a lot of onus on the forwards.

As frustrating as it is, it was one horrific breakdown. I think if the Rangers play like they did last night consistently they should still take the series.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/755319

Pretty much word for word what I've been saying.

Yup. But most of what's in there from my point of view was just obvious. I'm not sure why some have had trouble deciphering it that way themselves. Boyle has been treated completely unfairly in the aftermath of that play. What's odd of that article though, is that regardless of the correct criticisms they assigned to Mac, they didn't address the biggest one; which was his flat out admission that he hesitated because he was assuming a whistle. Which even today, still blows my damn mind...

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
Oh I love Girardi. I just don't seem him crushing someone at full speed. More like just knocking them over from close up. I'm picturing a Scott Stevens across the middle of the ice hit. :laugh:

I pray with all my might that in a few years time, we'll have that in McIlrath...

nevesis

Sponsor
Jan 3, 2008
NY
Game 1 may be exactly what the Rangers need to take it to the next level.

Im staying positive. I have to.

They had a week off, and were living the life. They got brought back to reality real quick last night that this isn't going to be easy. Nash, and a few other guys are taking a pounding in the media. That **** gets back to them, and good. They need to know what the average fan is thinking of them. Guys need to step up.

I am confident about tomorrow, it has to be a game we win. Can't go into Washington down 0-2.

Get it done, get the split, and get ready for a road game.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Well you would have a point; but why on earth would AV tell him that?

We don't know, that's between AV and his players. It doesn't make a difference. If anyone in our room needs a guy with a letter on his shirt to tell them what needs to happen tomorrow, they're in the wrong occupation.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York

This drives me nuts. I don't even blame the Caps players, they're getting away with what the league is giving them. I get that. The league however, is disgustingly inconsistent with protecting players' heads. They've welcomed back obstruction with open arms to slow the game down and prevent concussions, but now they're routinely looking the other way on hits to the numbers and/or the head. Just awful. Make the game less interesting to protect players from head injuries indirectly, then let direct hits to the back and head go. The worst of both worlds.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
We don't know, that's between AV and his players. It doesn't make a difference. If anyone in our room needs a guy with a letter on his shirt to tell them what needs to happen tomorrow, they're in the wrong occupation.

Yes yes and all that cliche stuff, I agree. But leaders matter in the playoffs. They just do. Or at least to me I have always felt strongly that they do. And cup winning teams always seem to have strong definable leaders. And it's not that I don't consider Mac to be one. Just that I consider it to be completely counter to what I had expected today, and it bothered me. I just can't see a reason, whether originated from himself or AV, why he wouldn't be on the ice today after last night. And sure, maybe I'm making too much of it, looking at it too deeply, whatever. Lord knows that what I do. But I strongly feel he should've been there.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
This drives me nuts. I don't even blame the Caps players, they're getting away with what the league is giving them. I get that. The league however, is disgustingly inconsistent with protecting players' heads. They've welcomed back obstruction with open arms to slow the game down and prevent concussions, but now they're routinely looking the other way on hits to the numbers and/or the head. Just awful. Make the game less interesting to protect players from head injuries indirectly, then let direct hits to the back and head go. The worst of both worlds.

All the other teams are getting called on it. Kronwall is/was suspended.

Doctyl

Play-ins Manager
Jan 25, 2011
Bofflol
The caps fans are like "yea we injure dmen tuff hockey"

If Kreider actually took out Holtby last night the crying would be unbearable

TurgePurge*

Our best offense came from D to D passing at the points and getting the puck through to the net or down low to the forwards. However for some reason our D's kept vacating the point to crash the net or help down low and then when our forwards wheeled out of the corner they had no passing option.

In the Pitt series whenever we lost the puck in the offensive zone our D's would just close off any transition in the neutral zone and we would reestablish the cycle but since Washington had an easier time transitioning they were getting it deeper in our end more consistently.

Adjust and prevail.

Xref

Oct 16, 2010
Maybe I need to see a replay, but I dont remember the hit by Backstrom being all that bad.

How many of you noticed it in real time? Looked like a hockey play to me; maybe Backstrom came in a bit hot, but nothing outrageous.

The hit wasn't suspension-worthy, imo. Just a minor penalty would have been warranted. I bet the refs are told to start clamping down on these hits now.....and I bet the Rangers will be the ones sitting in the box the most. :laugh:

I noticed it in real time and was kinda surprised that there was no whistle. Then realized the time on the clock and figured the refs, like the Rangers, were already thinking about overtime instead of the play.

IAMREALITY

Jul 12, 2010
The hit wasn't suspension-worthy, imo. Just a minor penalty would have been warranted. I bet the refs are told to start clamping down on these hits now.....and I bet the Rangers will be the ones sitting in the box the most. :laugh:

I noticed it in real time and was kinda surprised that there was no whistle. Then realized the time on the clock and figured the refs, like the Rangers, were already thinking about overtime instead of the play.

I didn't find it suspension worthy really either, but most definitely was indisputably a penalty. Or at least used to be.

But based on their last series, a new precedent is being set. Because they got away with that **** the entire series against the Isles. And don't fool yourself for a second thinking it was because of the time on the clock. They let it go all series and the clock was never a factor as to why.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad