Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Rangers: 05/03/21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
I'm quite possibly a huge homer and am being dramatic, but I think this has the potential to be a watershed, defining moment for the league.

This is quite a precedent that what Wilson, a multiple repeat offender, did was worthy of a $5k fine. It is absolutely open season on star players in any scrum. Why shouldn't teams gameplan around that if all they are getting is 2 min shorthanded and pocket change? If you take McDavid out of a series that's well worth it.
I envy the idealism that remains inside of you. Mine has was eroded away a long time ago. There is no justice in this world.

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
I'm quite possibly a huge homer and am being dramatic, but I think this has the potential to be a watershed, defining moment for the league.

This is quite a precedent that what Wilson, a multiple repeat offender, did was worthy of a $5k fine. It is absolutely open season on star players in any scrum. Why shouldn't teams gameplan around that if all they are getting is 2 min shorthanded and pocket change? If you take McDavid out of a series that's well worth it.

The reason it doesn't set a precedent is because there is no consistency with their punishments even on the same players in the same seasons. I mean Wilson was just suspended for 7 games (which cost him about a half million) earlier this year for a hit from behind. Because there is no consistency, a player could badly cross-check McDavid and get a fine or get five games. Remember the way Brendan Lemieux played last year in the those first two playoff games against the Canes? Oh wait he didn't play because of suspension from an incident not nearly as bad as this.

Synergy27

F-A-C-G-C-E
Apr 27, 2004
Washington, D.C.
Does anyone have any angles that somewhat validate Caps fans claim that Buch was kicking the keeper? I’m trying to see this from their side but I have no clue what they are looking at.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Gotcha. You were going with suspension AND fine.

I love old school hockey. Not gonna apologize to anybody for that, but not gonna lie, your idea is an absolute solution to the problem.
The problem with suspensions is that owners don't want their players missing games. Fines would be better, but the max amount of 5k isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: Daves a mess

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I know! I also know coaches tell management if they want certain players. My point is the Rangers have lacked a physical presence all year. I don't think Quinn was beating down Gorton's door or blowing up his cell phone trying to get some physical players on the team. If he was trying, then he's not to blame.

We don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it's up to the GM to construct a team and that's how he's judged.

Before next season, we'll know what management thinks about the personnel, within the constraints of the Cap.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Does anyone have any angles that somewhat validate Caps fans claim that Buch was kicking the keeper? I’m trying to see this from their side but I have no clue what they are looking at.

If you set the youtube video to .25 speed, you can see Buchnevich trying to kick the puck into the net.

His skate maybe hits the front of the goalie's pad, but it wasn't a malicious kick. His skate blade is down towards the ice, not 'studs up' as they say in soccer.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
Lots of blame here for the NHL. I also have to say- watching the video now over again- abysmal job by the on ice officials here. I've been an official for 22 years. I've been in these scrums a whole heck of a lot. The fact that both the linesmen go to a minor altercation with no chance of escalating first, go to the ice and leave the toughest and highest threat guy, Wilson, unattended, goes contrary to everything taught. The only thing they did right was the linesmen stayed together but an absolutely inexcusable display by them. They stayed with that minor altercation long after it has simmered down to nothing. The one linesmen( Tony Sericolo number 84) actually points out the other altercation( wilson's) with his hand like he wanted to get there but then does not actually go there. I'm floored. The NHL linesmen are usually much better than this but they have a lot of explaining to do too. The refs in this game are two of the most respected guys but they really did nothing here to help either. Charon( number 6) had to see it all from his spot. He had a n angle clear as day on the Panarin body slam. You can see he actually skates towards the body slam indicating he was thinking about getting in there. How he does not take into account the helmetless player being tossed to the ice and try and intervene in that is poor decision making. He allowed Wilson to life Panarin up again and repeat the same act again. Wes McCauley who was the ref by the goal could not do much nor see much but I'm just surprised here by a lot of what went wrong. NHL refs and linesmen are the best in the business but objectively, I'd be curious to know what they were thinking here.

Last edited:

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
Deterrents may or may not be a myth. There's no question in my mind that Nick Fotiu and Joey Kocur were deterrents. Darren Langdon answered every call. Others, like Domi or Boogaard, may have been a sideshow. But we're in a different era now.

Tom Wilson is a bully and opportunist who enjoys picking on smaller players. He is not a great fighter, but he plays in a league where there are very few players capable of standing up to him. I see him as a coward, and he might very well back down if there was an intimidating presence on the other side.

But it isn't necessarily all about deterrence. When your team is taken advantage of physically, and there's no response, your team invariably folds. I've seen this happen to the Rangers more often than not, for the better part of 5 decades. Deterrent or not, the Rangers will continue to fold until they're capable of responding to this kind of intimidation.

Like you said, it's a different Era, but even then, was there a player who served as a deterrent to a Kocur or Fotiu?

I don't think there ever was such a thing as a deterrent.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I don't agree with it but I've found that the NHL, for the most part, follows the below reasoning:

NHL takes harmful plays occurring between the whistles more seriously. Much more lax with the after whistle stuff.

Panarin engaged Wilson voluntarily so they're going to give Wilson significantly more leeway for that. Wilson is given even more leeway because it's not his fault he's way bigger and stronger than Panarin. Only CK get penalized for being too big and strong compared to opponents *eyeroll*

NHL also takes hits with speed behind it more seriously, in between whistle head punches aren't on the NHL's radar in the CYA category of 'limit these plays to avoid lawsuits'.

TLDR: The key to avoid suspension is:
1)wait for the whistle
2)Don't be skating (because that's potential lawsuit fodder AND DEADLY)
And players are recommended and encouraged to manhandle smaller guys because....they should know better

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
And then the league wonders why incidents like Todd Bertuzzi happen. To be honest, I don’t expect the Rangers to do anything tomorrow. They don’t have the horses and Quinn doesn’t have the balls. If this was a Torts team I’d have expected World War 3.

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
I wonder how many teams would mutually terminate one of their guys contracts if the Rangers called and said they would sign them immediately, for more money, for the remainder of the season and keep them on the NHL roster.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
There you go not shocked at all. If you think it's not demoralizing to a team to have no one stand (either as a team or an individual who is capable) up for your best player than I don't know what to say. The league won't and maybe I'm old school but I would rather take care of my own business. I guess Trouba and Lindgren would pose some kind of pushback but to have none from anyone else for an entire third period do anything is a joke. Guys like Wilson will take notice and continue to do what they do.

LetsGoRangers2021

Jan 25, 2021
Thank you for saying this. I don't know how that is not a basic understanding. Maybe it's a softer world/game? I'd say it's no coincidence that with the Trouba and Panarin injuries, we were either leading or tied in the game when they happened mid-game. We ended up blown out in both games.

Imagine if your friends/teammates allowed you to be cheapshotted and hurt and just looked the other way (something I now refer to as "Miller'd"). Would you want to battle for them? Team should be like family.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad