Pre-Game Talk: Caps @ Leafs - Game 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006

Game 3: Capitals at Maple Leafs, Monday preview

Stanley Cup playoff series swings to Toronto after Game 2 double-overtime thriller.

https://www.thestar.com/sports/leafs/2017/04/16/game-3-capitals-at-maple-leafs-monday-preview.html

By Kevin McGranSports Reporter
Sun., April 16, 2017

AIR CANADA CENTRE

FACEOFF: 7 p.m.

TV: CBC

RADIO: Sportsnet 590 The FAN

Best-of-seven series tied 1-1

THE CAPITALS

Braden Holtby has posted two shutouts, a 1.72 goals-against average and .940 save percentage in playoff games following a loss. . . . Washington was 16-6-4 in the regular season following a defeat. Holtby went 11-4-3 with one shutout, a 2.09 GAA and .927 save percentage. ... Washington led 112-96 in shot attempts in all situations in Game 2, 91-76 at five-on-five.

THE LEAFS

Defenceman Jake Gardiner logged 40:34 of ice time in the Leafs’ double-overtime win in Game 2, the most of any player in this post-season. . . . Gardiner has seven points (two goals, five assists) in eight career playoff games. . . . Kasperi Kapanen was the first Leaf to score in overtime since Travis Green — also in double OT, in Game 6 of the 2003 conference quarter-finals vs. the Flyers. . . . Kapanen is the eighth Leafs rookie ever to score in OT in the playoffs, but the first since Gerry Ehman in 1959 vs. the Bruins. . . . Frederik Andersen’s 47 saves on Saturday were six shy of his career playoff high, set with the Ducks in Game 2 of the 2015 conference final vs. the Blackhawks, and the most by a Leafs goaltender in the post-season since Ed Belfour’s 72 in 2003 against the Flyers.

DID YOU KNOW?

Teams that lead 2-1 in a best-of-seven NHL playoff series have gone on to win almost 70 per cent of the time (327-141), according to whowins.com. It’s 75.2 per cent (209-69) for teams that go up 2-1 after winning Game 3 on home ice.

UP NEXT

Game 4: Wednesday at Air Canada Centre, 7 p.m. (CBC)

Capitals-Maple Leafs Game 3 preview: Can Washington regain control of this series?

By Washington Post Staff April 16 at 4:43 PM

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...ontrol-of-this-series/?utm_term=.6285636a0e05

The Capitals enter Monday’s Game 3 in somewhat of a desperate state. The upstart Maple Leafs gave them a tougher-than-expected test at home over the weekend: the Capitals had to fight hard just to win Game 1 in overtime, and then they lost Game 2 in double overtime. With the series shifting north to Toronto, will the Stanley Cup favorites get back on track? Or is Washington staring down — gulp — yet another postseason disappointment?

> The expectation was that the Capitals would have an easy time against the Toronto Maple Leafs, who didn’t clinch their postseason berth until the second-to-last game. But to Washington’s credit, it never underestimated the young, feisty Maple Leafs. “I think it’s exactly what we thought it would be coming in,†defenseman Brooks Orpik said.

>> Both teams face questions as the series moves north of the border for Monday’s Game 3. The Leafs lost a second top defenseman when Roman Polak was helped off the ice in the second period with a lower-body injury. But how troubling are the events of Saturday night going to be for the Capitals? They’ve played from behind for much of the series thus far and although they’ve been able to force overtime twice, this is not a safe or comfortable way to live.

>> The Leafs are a bunch of upstarts to be sure. But even though they look to be in good shape heading home for Game 3, their depleted corps of defensemen may spell trouble for them as the series continues to unfold.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Playing at home is great but this will be the game the boys start to feel pressure if they ever do. Lets hope they come out loose and flying because the Caps will get right down to business I think

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Heads will roll if our towels aren't on our seats when we get there.

CanadasTeam

Nov 9, 2009
Tarrana
I expect nothing less if they win either of these two home games...

GO :leafs GO!!!!

Lol, took these after the win in game 6.
8711535078_fda09fbce4_c.jpg

cops on horses were there to calm the crazies on cars down before it turned into anything serious. just good celebrations all around... I'd be pissed if dudes were running on my car though.
8711543878_ca5df9bbeb_c.jpg

8711541632_583258b455_c.jpg

8711542814_175a15b614_c.jpg

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
How badly beaten was the idiot climbing on the Mercedes?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
Is it 7:20pm yet....

Woo!! Already excited for this.

Hoping the home crowd brings the noise tonight!!

Really hoping for NZ to be ready, but we all know this rests with Andersen once again, which I am more than okay with considering where we are in the rebuild.

Go Leafs GO!

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC

So if Sosh were ready, would they actually take someone out to put him in? I cannot imagine they would?

Really hope NZ22 is good to go... though I worry about this readiness (as far as playoff intensity goes).

EDIT: But hell, if Marincin can play then really we have no worries...

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Zaitsev has gotta be back tonight.

We need to take these games at home and we'll need his help if that's going to happen.

That being said, ACC will be insane tonight!

GLG!!!! :leafs GLG!!!!

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I work on Bay Street and am very tempted to pick up a pair of tickets for this game, but don't think my wallet can support whatever they will be going for tonight...

swint

Nov 16, 2014
Caps are shook... Holtby is in panic mode and we haven't even dropped the puck to play game 3... Let's keep the pressure up tonight :yo:

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Leafs have been very prudent with bringing back players from an injury. So I hope they did the same thing with Zaitsev.

Looks like he's in tonight though. That's good news. I hope he's 100%.

Mikistan

Feb 21, 2012
Toronto
Wonder how difficult it will be to get in the rink from the York street side? It was such a gong show vs Boston.

THere should be a pathway through the crowd that goes straight to the doors sectioned off if you show your tickets, no issues

BrannigansLaw

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Leafs have been very prudent with bringing back players from an injury. So I hope they did the same thing with Zaitsev.

Excellent, excellent news if true.

He would really stabilize our back end right now.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
Realized if this series goes to Game 7 I have a board meeting scheduled for that night. ****

Alright boys, let's win this in 6 lol

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Excellent, really good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille