Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Jackets 7:00 PM Caps Win 5-4 (OT)

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
There are real human beings blaming the refs on the Columbus board

Not sure why. Jody Shelley even commented that he thought it was a goal after reviewing it. The broadcast team were talking about a goal similar in the year by the Blue Jackets being disallowed.

Mickstix

Nov 30, 2010
Central Florida
Wow, really good to see them keep playing and not fold up after giving away the 2 goal lead..

But I must say, with the state of officiating, and whatever that is they call a PK, they have got to be smarter.. Much smarter!! I know the Ovi slash was weak, but after we'd had 2 PP's, I was looking for the arm on just about every play.. Interference, holding, slash, etc.. They were close to getting called a lot, before Ovi's retaliation slash.. Then Carlson with the "you hit me hard so I'll pitch an elbow at the next guy I see" penalty is just dumb.. Chimera like dumb..

But, nothing will happen to discourage it since Chimera is the only one not making enough money to be dropped lines or scratched for being an idiot, so Trotz needs to think of other ways to get through the thick skulls and teach em' how to fight the urges to be sissies.. If they're that offended, square off with someone and take them to the box with ya!! But anyway, good to get the 2 points! Onward and upward..

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
that Latta pass. Wow.

And that 2009-era Green. Equally wow.

Caps wins make me very happy. I will savor this till Saturday's puck drop.

artilector

Jan 11, 2006
Good 2 pts to have. Don't know what other conclusions can be drawn from this game. That when the Caps play well, they are pretty good, and when they don't, they are not? Stay tuned for more groundbreaking insights...

Burakovsky95*

So the league is looking into Carlson's hit.

I really didn't think there was a ton of intent there. Johansen sold it a little as well.

Penalty called on the play and the official was literally right there and I think they tend to side with their officials. Hope we don't see anything else.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Trade Green. :deadhorse

This is what he does: A few good games, gets injured or sucks for another 20.

Trade him before he walks like Semin.

SDBondra

Jul 24, 2005
The officiating sucked. Prout ***** Wilson and doesn't get a roughing. Johnson cross checks Backy 3 times including when he's down and no call but then they call that weak slash on Ovie. No consistency at all. Glad we fought back and hopefully we got the message that our PK is not strong enough to take so many penalties.

Alzner with that takeaway and finish saved the game for us and Latta was fantastic.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
- Brouwer is scoring 3rd period goals lately, man grabbed his sack, we might keep him till summer at least

- Green... well, if you get Vermette/similar and are in playoff zone - **** it, let Green play in post season (especially if there is only ~2nd round pick going back)

- Latta. I liked Latta from the start just because his lastname sounds funny in Russian :) he should take some lessons from Beagle's skating coach to have more balance. this young guy could be even better a couple of years down the road.

Not opposed to call Latta Forsberg. Michael Forsberg. Good name!

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Trotz in his post game presser "talked about being a harder team and we were". He specifically noted the second period and the fistacuffs praising Latta, Wilson and Brouwer. Laich with third most TOI minutes for a forward (only Backstrom and Ovie with more). With this game starting to see the "Trotz" type of player emerge and its not MAJO.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
We need to make adjustments on the PK, it's killing us. That's the main reason the game ended the way it did, we had complete control up until that Ovie penalty was called.

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
laich's numbers were high in part because of his pk time.

Somewhat true but Columbus had 4 pp opportunities to 3 for the Caps and to the best of my knowledge Laich does not see much if any PP time, so that's 6 minutes he did not have the opportunity to be on ice as the Caps did not score on any of their pps.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
laich played 2:44 on the pp and 3:25 on the pk. he was out there for that 4 on 3 pk. so that's more than 6 minutes of special teams time. most on the team among forwards.

Blades of Steel

log off.
Dec 10, 2009
Virginia
how great would it be if Latta becomes a more important piece than Forsberg in due time. He very well may be in the post season, we just don't know yet.

amjay13

Jan 7, 2007
Scottsdale, AZ
Wilson is an absolute beast. I a little surprised how quickly he's become an impact player. Figured it would take 3-4 years. He's going to top out as a 20 goal, 40 point guy who can play with the first line and rack up 150 PIMs.

Apr 6, 2004
Wilson is an absolute beast. I a little surprised how quickly he's become an impact player. Figured it would take 3-4 years. He's going to top out as a 20 goal, 40 point guy who can play with the first line and rack up 150 PIMs.

Agree completely, I, like most were probably concerned with his puck skills but I'm been pleasantly surprised with his success thus far. He's only going to improve on that and the general intricacies of the game / acclimating to the Trotz system.

With that said, played a good game but got his a$$ kicked last night, hope he steps back a bit with the fights personally.

As for Latta, doesn't shock me he's a Trotz fav, Beagle-like game with a little more grit.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC

IMO (I'm sure it is unpopular) ...is Wilson a disruptive player for the opposing team? Yes. Is he a beast...absolutely not. He has been unproductive in the scoring column and the 1st line hasn't really been productive with him. You can make an argument they are more productive without him. He plays physical but at the same time he is physically weak. He gets out muscled in the corners and gets knocked to the ice a couple of times per shift. He fights often but isn't a very good fighter. I think he can be a good player but as most young players has a long way to go. He does a lot of good things but at the same time he is all over the ice out there (high motor). I don't know if this is the best thing for Ovie and Backstrom.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

the caps had him pegged early on. remember he was in the lineup in the playoffs before his rookie season.

I think his impact comes in the playoffs where the players assigned to check ovechkin and backstrom have to face getting pounded by Wilson game in and game out. it will wear them down.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Didn't know where to post this, but enjoy!

Rest here:

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/photos/2014-caps-and-wizards-e-card-gallery

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad