Post-Game Talk: Caps @ Jackets 7:00 PM Caps Win 5-4 (OT)

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
Brouwer and Fehr are on fire. Fehr has 3 goals and 4 points in his last 5 games and Brouwer has 4 goals in his last 5 games.

Coldplay619

Oct 17, 2010
Luke Adomanis ‏@LukeAdomanis 2m2 minutes ago
Ovi Corsi For 23 Corsi Against 6 (81%)
Backy Corsi For 21 Corsi Against 5 (79%)
Willy Corsi For 17 Corsi Against 7 (78%)
Dirty

Wish this would lead to more production.

HeyMattyB

Sports bring out the worst in everyone.
Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I think what was most impressive about Green's assist in the 3rd is that it began with him making a decent (not stellar, but decent!) defensive play by breaking up a cross-crease pass in front of Holtby. Then he skated it all the way through the defensive zone, neutral zone, and into the offensive zone before making a pretty smart pass.

It was totally vintage Green. Very awesome to see. If only we saw that kind of play on most nights. If he could bring that game most nights (and I'm not even saying every night--I'm a realist!), he'd be well worth the money he's getting paid.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I hear you, seems like his shot is off.

Though unlike his previous slumps, he's playing pretty well. Just cant seem to find the net.

Carlson and Niskanen just can't put it in Ovie's wheelhouse during the PP the same way Green can. Or, the way Green *could*, because he hasn't done it with much regularity either since coming back. There's just so many passes that are a little too far ahead or a little too far behind, so he has to chuck it back to the point and wait for it to come back again. Otherwise he's just shooting the puck into a defenseman's shin pads.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He needs to find a way to get shots to the net. He's also not burying the great chances he gets.

he is leading the league in shots on goal. isn't he getting shots to the net in a league leading manner? finishing more. yes. but getting them thru? is he really failing at this?

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
he is leading the league in shots on goal. isn't he getting shots to the net in a league leading manner? finishing more. yes. but getting them thru? is he really failing at this?

His shots get blocked way too often. Every time he comes down the left side with speed, it's a guaranteed block/turnover.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
he plays in all situations. love him or hate him when he is out he leaves a big hole. when he is playing well, the team plays well.

I'm by no means a Laich fan, and certainly not a Laich apologist, but I can definitely admit that he's looked pretty good (for the third-line winger he is) since coming back. He seems much quicker when chasing down the puck carrier and hounding them. He seems to be winning a good amount of board battles. He's playing above average defensively. He seems like a pretty smart (if very safe) third-line guy.

I don't know. Maybe management ISN'T completely full of **** when they talk about how important it is to have him healthy. Maybe he really IS a great locker room guy, and a true Leader Of Men--and they're not just trying to pump up his trade value. I don't know.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
His shots get blocked way too often. Every time he comes down the left side with speed, it's a guaranteed block/turnover.

two comments.

1. if they were really blocked everytime he would not lead the league in shots on goal.

2. when you attempt to shoot between the defenseman's feet to cloak the shot coming in, they will get blocked with regularity. just as getting traffic to the front of the net often means hitting your own players with the shot. it comes with the territory.

maybe your complaint should be that ov shouldnt try and shoot so much. but his history is that he scores a lot of goals in part because he gets so many shots at the net. I wouldn't change him.

lastly, I don't worry about 8 scoring goals and the team is winning with regularity. at some point they will cool off and a hot streak from him will carry them.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'm by no means a Laich fan, and certainly not a Laich apologist, but I can definitely admit that he's looked pretty good (for the third-line winger he is) since coming back. He seems much quicker when chasing down the puck carrier and hounding them. He seems to be winning a good amount of board battles. He's playing above average defensively. He seems like a pretty smart (if very safe) third-line guy.

I don't know. Maybe management ISN'T completely full of **** when they talk about how important it is to have him healthy. Maybe he really IS a great locker room guy, and a true Leader Of Men--and they're not just trying to pump up his trade value. I don't know.

I have always thought and often felt like many don't fully see his role on the team. He is not one player. He is 3 or 4 players in one sweater and with one cap hit. if he were gone you might need two or three different players to pick up all the things he does. He's a salary cap extender. Yank him out of the lineup or have him go thru a rough patch and it dings the team in 2 or 3 or 4 areas of the game.

His line gets 2nd line es minutes. he plays on the pp and plays the most on the pk.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
two comments.

1. if they were really blocked everytime he would not lead the league in shots on goal.

2. when you attempt to shoot between the defenseman's feet to cloak the shot coming in, they will get blocked with regularity. just as getting traffic to the front of the net often means hitting your own players with the shot. it comes with the territory.

maybe your complaint should be that ov shouldnt try and shoot so much. but his history is that he scores a lot of goals in part because he gets so many shots at the net. I wouldn't change him.

lastly, I don't worry about 8 scoring goals and the team is winning with regularity. at some point they will cool off and a hot streak from him will carry them.

No, I said what I wanted to say. He needs to try and get the defender to move by cutting to the middle or he should try to drive to the net. If he just skates right into the defender every time, he'll be easy to defend. It's 2011 all over again. Repeating that he's the leader in SOG means nothing. I'm trying to say that he should mix it up a bit. I definitely never want him to stop shooting.

Winning definitely matters more but if he doesn't start scoring, we're not going to keep winning. 2 goals every 5-6 games isn't going to cut it. It definitely isn't from a lack of effort. He's just a bit snake bitten right now.

HeyMattyB

Aug 20, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
I have always thought and often felt like many don't fully see his role on the team. He is not one player. He is 3 or 4 players in one sweater and with one cap hit. if he were gone you might need two or three different players to pick up all the things he does. He's a salary cap extender. Yank him out of the lineup or have him go thru a rough patch and it dings the team in 2 or 3 or 4 areas of the game.

His line gets 2nd line es minutes. he plays on the pp and plays the most on the pk.

You know, I really like this summary. I think it's spot-on.

Vladiator16*

So is it
Glue.jpg

or
00-0000-5762_lg_e8d3.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad