Speculation: Caps have 9.2 mil to spend as Backstrom returns to perma IR - Nylander?

StewieP19

Dec 13, 2022
Washington doesn't have a lot of prospect. We all know the priority for Washington is give chance to Ovechkin to beat Gretzky record. So to trade for help now they need to give prospect and they don't have it

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Misery74

Nov 20, 2017
Washington doesn't have a lot of prospect. We all know the priority for Washington is give chance to Ovechkin to beat Gretzky record. So to trade for help now they need to give prospect and they don't have it
Caps have plenty of good prospects: Leonard, Cristall, Miro

Caps are rebuilding prospect pool. Ovechkin has a chance to break record. It’s up to him, not the GM.

• Love
Reactions: IafrateOvie34

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
God this thread is absolute shit. Caps aren't taking brutal contracts that last longer than Backstrom's instead of just getting brief replacements or weaponizing the space.

Huberdeau and Kadri? Nurse?! Are you guys f***ing serious? Does any of that sound like good team management to you guys, honestly?

If the Capitals are taking bad contracts with that space it's because they're being paid to, not because they're desperate for a replacement. Next year when Mantha's gone that space looks more like 14-15m unless Backstrom decides he isn't fully done and they can actually play on the market, shore up the middle 6.

No reason at all for them to take bad contracts signed recently.

Last edited:

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Toronto has Tavares coming off the books in a year. It going to be pretty hard to out bid them.
If he leaves it won’t be over money.
Hopefully Tavares gives the Leafs another discount next time and only takes 12% of the cap.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Ummm what if he decides in the middle of this season he isn’t done? Is he going to be slipped a little something under the table to sit out until playoffs?

Capitals don’t really have a chance at the playoffs but the situation is kind of weird considering he isn’t going through a surgery with a set time table.

Obvious Fabertism

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2009
MN
Maybe not in the spirit of the thread starter, but I have had thoughts that Calen Addison would be a much better player in the Cap's system than the Wild's for some time now. For a likely low cost acquisition, he is a guy that could potentially fill a big niche for the Caps and may be even more useful for Washington in current circumstances. I am not saying he solves this issue at all, but he could potentially be a small piece that helps.

I am not going to high sell you on the player, he is very flawed in his defensive game and his physical package is not overwhelming. He does have one pretty unique part of his skill set though, his ability to execute quick, effective distributing during set play times, like the PP, is very very good. I think he would a very good fit on the Caps PP and could assist Ovechkin greatly in his push for the record. I do not think that he will help you win very many games, but he will help you get points and entertainment and he does get the puck to the best offensive guys on the ice mostly effectively.

The Wild at this point are in need of someone capable of providing a semblance of stability on the bottom pair. With injuries this year they have gone through organizational depth evaluation down to their #10 D man and frankly all the bottom pair guys have shown that they are not ready or capable in the NHL at this moment. To keep the season from further deteriorating, I believe that they would be willing to move Addison as soon as Spurgeon returns and a more established/positionally sound, but "lower" future potential defender would be the only requested return, a #6/7 type of guy. I believe that Washington has a few defenders in the system that would fit this billing but not as up to date on if any would be available.

Any thoughts from Washington fans on if there would be any interest in this player? The Wild cap situation is limiting, though on Spurgeon's imminent return they will be able to accrue some decent in season space, so this is something that could definitely be re-visited throughout the season if needed.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I just don't see why the Leafs would trade Nylander. They seem very all in on this core, as built. Nor do the Caps seem to have anything resembling the sort of piece that they'd even conceivably deal him for. So i don't really see the leap made here from "LTIR cap space" to "Nylander trade".

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Sabres will retain 50% of Olofsson if the Caps wanted to park him on the opposite side of the Ovie spot as a second option / distraction on the PP. Would cost essentially nothing but half the cap space.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
The Leafs cup window is currently open. I really don't see them moving Nylander at all.

If they can somehow replace him with a cheaper player - maybe - but I'm not sure that player/opportunity even exists.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
Flyers can trade Couturier. They wouldn't ask for much because they just need to get out from his contract and it gives the Caps at least a solid experienced center.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why? Do you think Montreal will get him at 12 in July?
Not at all. I'm just speculating imo that Nylander's value has grown because of his recent play. If he keeps his play up 10 mil isn't going to cut it . He'll be worth more again IMO.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Not at all. I'm just speculating imo that Nylander's value has grown because of his recent play. If he keeps his play up 10 mil isn't going to cut it . He'll be worth more again IMO.
Oh, OK. Well, if some team will pay him a 12M AAV they should do it. I prices the Leafs out.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00