Speculation: Caps have 9.2 mil to spend as Backstrom returns to perma IR - Nylander?

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Why not? Tavares has 1 more year. It would be short sighted to let a player like Nylander walk over 1 season of tight cap. After that, their commitments are Matthews @ 13.25 and Nylander @ let's say 10. Tavares probably sighs for half.

Then it becomes what to do with Marner, but even if he gets a 1M raise, they will still be in a better cap position than they were.
You had your shot at signing Nylander for 10 before the season. He's playing like the best player on the team. Start at 12 .

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Lol no chance Leafs are trading Nylander.

Might be able to take on a guy like Jack Campbell as a dump + futures though. Capitals will have to seriously rebuild, OV is a legend but the cycle continues. Personally if I'm the caps, I'd look to take on contracts with futures.

Campbell + 1st + 1st + 2nd for Future considerations

And then find an average C.

Caps aren't competing for a cup or playoffs anymore, would be best to get started on the eventual full blown rebuild now. Take advantage of the cap space, lines up with OV's remaining years in the league.

Marner will get a small raise, probably signs around 12 next summer
Considering how he has played so far, he's gonna get less money on his next deal. 10.5 ish

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Darnell Nurse at 9.25M float your boat? Scratch that itch?

As a Habs fan, you seem to have a very unhealthy infatuation with Nurse and the Oilers. Yes he is overpaid, but WE HAVE NO ONE TO REPLACE HIS MINUTES. Not sure why you don't understand that concept. Oilers are stuck with Nurse for however long we are contending or until he asks out since he has a full NMC.

Reactions: EquivalentStay

Jan 21, 2018
You had your shot at signing Nylander for 10 before the season. He's playing like the best player on the team. Start at 12 .

Good grief this thread is ridiculous.

Do you know how many players are making 12M+ right now? Off the top of my head that kind of money is reserved for McDavid, Mackinnon etc.

We’ve seen this exact scenario play out with Matthews. HFBoards is convinced he is a superstar that will leave Toronto the first chance he gets.

As soon as Matthews re-signed, the narrative changed to him being overpaid.

If Nylander re-signs in Toronto, the haters will say he is overpaid.

if Nylander does not re-sign in Toronto, the haters will say he is the best and worth any contract he signs.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Lol no chance Leafs are trading Nylander.

Agreed.

Campbell + 1st + 1st + 2nd for Future considerations

ZERO chance for a rebuild in Washington while Ovechkin is chasing Gretzky's record.

ZERO chance that someone pays 20M cash for 2 fairly meh draft picks. And yes, last 3rd of the first round is pretty much meh from the value standpoint. Washington is better off overpaying Nylander by 2.5M per year in the off-season, and waste their 20M that way. They aren't finding a similar caliber player at the bottom of the first even in 5 tries, never mind 2.

UrbanImpact

Apr 12, 2021
Washington was rumored to be very interested in Garland at the beginning of the season. I wonder if that heats up again now with the cap space.

Im just not sure what the return is?

Ferharvery would be great but Tochett doesnt like to use Left handed players on Right Side eventhough MF can do it.

I guess maybe Mantha because Canucks can use some skill and size. He doesnt strike me as a Tochett type of player though? how has he been? lazy? underperforming? injured?

Garland for Mantha would help the Canucks for cap space in the next couple of years though.

Reactions: ChrisProngersEYE

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Agreed.

ZERO chance for a rebuild in Washington while Ovechkin is chasing Gretzky's record.

ZERO chance that someone pays 20M cash for 2 fairly meh draft picks. And yes, last 3rd of the first round is pretty much meh from the value standpoint. Washington is better off overpaying Nylander by 2.5M per year in the off-season, and waste their 20M that way. They aren't finding a similar caliber player at the bottom of the first even in 5 tries, never mind 2.
It's essentially "free" assets though, and they would still have money to get OV a decent C. OV could still chase Gretzky's record, and the Caps would have an additional 2 first rounders for the inevitable rebuild.

platotld

Fly Canucks Fly
Jun 18, 2014
Fraser valley
ZERO chance for a rebuild in Washington while Ovechkin is chasing Gretzky's record. ??? So an NHL club sits back for 3 season losing money so 1 player can beat it? He can beat it elsewhere or just hope to play an extra 2 seasons on a rebuilding team !

I have a great signing, no one. Bring up every farm scrub ya have to see just wtf you have. Caps are the 2013 canucks.. prepare for sh*T years ahead. Man the harpoons... all hands on the Deck.

#1. Caps GM calls Olvie into the office and states truthfully wanna ride and die with us for next 6 years of hell? Yes, great you retire a Cap. No - 1st round draft pick and a prospect to a contender in Jan why wait.

1st rounder and a prospect that can step in RIGHT away.

#2 Both high hits.. but only this and next year. Swap both for younger players with potential, retain and retain cause nothing but cheap young assets coming in anyways next 3 years.

Kuznetsov, EvgenyM-NTCCNHLDraft319.3$7,800,000$7,800,000UFA
Oshie, T.J.M-NTCRWNHLTrade366.9$5,750,000$5,750,000UFA

Hope to get 1 st and couple 2nds and a player or two fill the roster, minimum a 1st and 1 step in younf roster player and 1 very good to top end (like best in farm) player.

No one is touching this...

Wilson, TomM-NTCRWNHLDraft296.2$5,166,667
Extension

$6,500,000
$6,500,000$6,500,000$6,500,000$6,500,000
Future Year Expiry
Strome, DylanCNHLSigned266.0$5,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,000$5,000,000

No one is touching this ^^ ROFL

#3 For defense, SHED them all, if you want keep Carlson, I would not know why though, remember you are NOW competing with the San Hose Sharks.. trade all of them.

DEFENSE (8 - $21,582,500)TERMSPOSSTATUSACQUIREDAGECAP%2023-242024-252025-262026-272027-282028-29
Carlson, John "A"M-NTCRDNHLDraft339.6$8,000,000$8,000,000$8,000,000UFA
Jensen, NickRDNHLTrade334.9$4,050,000$4,050,000$4,050,000UFA
van Riemsdyk, TrevorRDNHLSigned323.6$3,000,000$3,000,000$3,000,000UFA
Fehérváry, MartinLD/RDNHLDraft243.2$2,675,000$2,675,000$2,675,000RFA
Sandin, RasmusLDNHLTrade231.7$1,400,000Arbitration EligibleRFA

1st and top d-prospect and 1 d man to step in for less dollars - Carlson
2nd for Rasmus at the deadline.

Weaponise new for cap at deadline taking on short term huge contracts to dumb years end, since cap going up next couple years now is time to DUMP and jump for great picks. Hope to get a 2nd and few 3rds, heck depending on Dump maybe even a late 1st.

Do it right 2 or more 1st, couple 2n rounders and a 3 rd or so, new and more younger players. Be LA Kings... not the Canucks, make it painful but fast like pulling out the knife.

ZERO chance for a rebuild in Washington while Ovechkin is chasing Gretzky's record. ??? Daughty and Kopitar did a rebuild, Olvie can also or move on.

Much love to you Caps fans, but please do not take anyone in now.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Good grief this thread is ridiculous.

Do you know how many players are making 12M+ right now? Off the top of my head that kind of money is reserved for McDavid, Mackinnon etc.

We’ve seen this exact scenario play out with Matthews. HFBoards is convinced he is a superstar that will leave Toronto the first chance he gets.

As soon as Matthews re-signed, the narrative changed to him being overpaid.

If Nylander re-signs in Toronto, the haters will say he is overpaid.

if Nylander does not re-sign in Toronto, the haters will say he is the best and worth any contract he signs.
What the hell are you talking about.

Learn the difference between what a few people say and what everyone says.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Backstrom so long and thanks for all the fish!

So what do ya think? How close were Spencer and Nylander?
Will Caps fans ever allow another Nylander to wear a Caps Jersey? Wait the 1st one never really wore his so....

Oh p.s. I'm starting the rumor

Unless you are talking about Alex, the Capitals definitely do not have the assets to trade for Willy.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
What does Toronto do if they miss the playoffs or lose out in rd 1, pay nylander his ask, run it back again! To me that’s the definition of insanity. But hey let’s keep doing it. We couldn’t go deep with matthews at 11.75 and nylander at 6.9, let’s try 13.25 and 10.5 respectively!
This is such a worn out statement.
WhaT do you suggest?
Let him walk for nothing?
Trade him for a largely inferior player?
Rebuild?
Please don't say "I would of done this/that different" because it's done.

alphabetical

May 8, 2013
WhaT do you suggest?
Rebuild?
Please don't say "I would of done this/that different" because it's done.
The leafs are obviously top heavy up front. They need to build a complete team, starting with their blue line. Trading some of the expensive (or soon to be expensive) talent in the top six is the only way to fill gaps in the lineup.

The caps aren't a good trade partner for Nylander. They don't have the right pieces to acquire him, and they don't want to spend assets for a rental.

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
WhaT do you suggest?
Rebuild?
Please don't say "I would have done this/that different" because it's done.
you are right, they have no choice to pay nylander. it’s too late for,that ship. They will have to slowly allocate cap space as deals expire (Bertuzzi, domi, samsonov, taveras in 2 yrs) and rebuild the defence. That’s how I’d proceed moving forward. Marner on the other hand I’d explore on trading

Reactions: hurdemz

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Considering how he has played so far, he's gonna get less money on his next deal. 10.5 ish
It's a nice sentiment but we all know that isn't going to happen. Tavares will be the only one taking less on his next deal if he stays.

hurdemz

Tub thumpin'
Jul 15, 2022
Ssm, ON
you are right, they have no choice to pay nylander. it’s too late for,that ship. They will have to slowly allocate cap space as deals expire (Bertuzzi, domi, samsonov, taveras in 2 yrs) and rebuild the defence. That’s how I’d proceed moving forward. Marner on the other hand I’d explore on trading
Agree, the should move marner before his deal expires

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2